8 days along the FLAT or "Taking our stuff sightseeing"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    We were making great time and had decided that we wouldn't try and turn out big miles today. Something that I've learned over the years is that my favorite days tend to be at or under 200 miles. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed big mile days throughout that time but certainly I've fonder memories of the days that I took my time , stopping along the way in order to meet new people, check out historic sites or simple to yank off my helmet and gloves in order to breath in the world around me. Today was turning out to be one of those days where a breath brings oxygen not just to the body but to the soul.

Some churches are better than others...

P2160142.JPG

IMG_20190216_135224.jpg
    EZMoney, juno, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    We wandered into the tiny historic town of Welborn FL. There's a small section of the original cobblestone main street left alongside the railroad tracks. The Flagler influence here is unmistakable.

IMG_20190216_103351.jpg

A portion of the old town has been restored.

IMG_20190216_103636.jpg

A short time later we were crossing the famous Suwanee River and had entered yet another small historic town. We had a short chat with these kayakers. I've spent many a day kayaking rivers and oceans. It's a feeling of serenity that is hard to match. I need to make it a point to do a few kayaking trips in the near future.
    IMG_20190216_111224.jpg

White Springs was a tourism hot spot in it's heyday. What's left of the old bathhouse is open to the public.
    IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_20190216_110823.jpg

IMG_20190216_110546.jpg

A pic from an earlier ride report showing a bit of the main street in White Springs.

davesr20davidsr20_P1010624_zps9a0765a8.jpg
    dave6253, EZMoney, juno and 4 others like this.
  3. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave for a great report! I finally read it today as I’ve been in Costa Rica for the last 9 days without much want, need or ability to access the web! It was a great ride and I’m ready to go again!!! When are we leaving? And yes, @waybill, I told him I hate sugar sand and he just wouldn’t listen! It was quite funny when I went down and couldn’t get the bike off of me. Just laid there waitin on Dave to Find Andy!!!
    waybill and Ginger Beard like this.
  4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Something that I've touched on in other ride reports is that of the death of small town USA. Part of my disdain for these expansion projects isn't just an innate desire to preserve what's left of the natural world that gives us so much while asking little in return but also because there are ways of life and types of folks that are equally worthy of preservation. When people say growth and progress, they like to leave out the seedy underbelly of the death and ruination that accompanies it. All across our nation, small towns are dying and the people that live there are pushed aside, unconsidered by big money or the people living in populous cities and that's just shameful. Values, ways of life, generations of memories,etc aren't mere commodities to be sold off or traded. They're intangibles that should be revered and protected by the masses if for nothing more than to understand that we are a diverse world. There's room for us all if we could learn a modicum of respect for one another.
    EZMoney, NCJ, juno and 3 others like this.
  5. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    With exception of the mandatory ride to the Key West buoy...I've never considered Florida to be a desirable place for motorcycling. In fact, much of my view of the state has been shaped by Carl Hiaasen's cynical stories of corrupt politicians, unscrupulous developers, and environmentally insensitive rednecks. Thanks for altering my perception.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Welcome aboard man!! I expect pics of your Costa trip when you get back. Did I hear fire circle drinks? :D

LOL, you're a tough bastard and a glutton for punishment if you want to do this again. I knew we were friends for a reason! :lol3

Please feel free to chime in with as many pics and details that you feel I've missed. :freaky
    FLARider1 likes this.
  7. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Well thank you for that. While we definitely have a lot of what you've described, we also have beautiful natural areas and good people that want nothing more than to save what survives of the very reasons so many flock to this state in their golden years. If you ever make that Key West trip, don't forget to get a hold of me. I'll gladly take you to a few must see spots or shoot you a list of "must sees".

Cheers,

Dave
  8. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invitation, Dave. I touched the Key West bouy a few years ago.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wellborn and White Springs both are great little towns and there are some awesome roads nearby both of them :) Glad someone else has gotten to experience them too.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

And there are so many more that it would take many trips to see them all. I'm fortunate in that I've had the fortune to visit most. Have I mentioned that I love this state? :beer
  11. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lived in the area 25 years and still finding new ones from time to time :)
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    From white springs to the boarder of GA would be all high speed dirt. WOOT!! No pics of this section and our only stop between White Springs and the GA line was a gas station where we scarfed down some Wendy's.

A little more than an hour after leaving the bathhouse , we were straddling the line between FL and GA. Gratuitous border pics at no extra charge! You're welcome.
    IMG_1215.JPG

View attachment 1666176

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_20190216_135916.jpg
    dave6253, juno and Yinzer Moto like this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    We briefly crossed into GA , passed over the Withlacoochee River and crossed right back into FL. Shortest state visit ever!!

A cool little abandoned homestead and a perfect place for a break.

IMG_20190216_141420.jpg

I can't help but wonder about the lives those that lived here. Did they leave a joyous legacy whose memory will linger on the minds of their children and their children's children and does this home serve as a sort of monument to that legacy? Or does it sit here in it's derelict state because there's no one left to care? Is this the end of a family line which is why it now waits to be reclaimed by the earth that birth it and them ? I'd like to believe that it's the former . The thought left me a bit somber as the kickstand met the frame with an expected clank.

IMG_20190216_141451.jpg

IMG_1227.JPG

That feeling quickly subsided with each passing corner. Back wheel spinning, roost flying.... Yup, a grin that mashes my cheeks into the helmet padding is inevitable riding these roads . These dirt lanes that lead south from here wind through the country side , up then over and around rolling hills in spectacular fashion. The views aren't bad either!

IMG_20190216_144251.jpg
    dave6253, EZMoney, juno and 6 others like this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    A quick stop at Madison Blue Springs was in order before continuing down to Madison where we'd end the day. Unfortunately the spring was closed due to an ecological emergency that had polluted the spring and the river, closing it to tourism. The ranger was cool and let me hop the barrier to snap a quick pic. To say that this type of shit angers me would be an understatement but I digress. Hopefully they get it cleaned up quickly and find a way to stop this from continuing.

Today's risk would be higher than most...
    IMG_20190216_145044.jpg

We made it down to south Madison by 4 p.m., finding a a cheap hotel in walking distance to a Denny's where we got to tearing into Andy's bike again. That fuel consumption problem had worsened and the bike was starting to run like utter shyte. We had 700 or so miles to go and had no desire to have Andy's bike shit the bed in the middle of a forest. Anyway, same symptoms as before ... Terrible MPG, running rich and fouling plugs with carbon. The question was why? Why is the bike running so badly out of the blue literally from one day to the next then it hit us both at the same time! It's been running bad ever since day 2 after Andy's digger back in Lake Placid. So what happened? In sync we both said "The carb took in sand when the bike went down!!".

Sure enough, after pulling the carb apart, what looked like mud was caked in the slide and under the diaphragm and that sum' bitch was sticking like a champ!! The little filter on the carb breather had come out and it had sucked a gut-full of Florida's finest white powder right down the windpipe (okay, not FL's "finest" white powder but sand... just sand). We both felt a little dumb for not having thought of this sooner. I was able to track down a cleaning sponge which I cut to fit while Andy spent the next hour meticulously cleaning and reassembling the bike. As luck would have it, the bike fired right up and settled into a smooth idle as soon as he thumbed the starter!!

That "I don't want to do this again for a while!" look...
    IMG_20190216_170044.jpg

We cleaned up and went to Denny's in order to stuff our own guts. Never has such bad food tasted so good.

dave6253, juno, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  15. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    When in Cocoa I always try to make it to a nature sanctuary north of the space centre. Beautiful boardwalks through the dense forest and lots of gators in the water. Interesting birds. One time the gal at the reception counter of the parks building told me to keep my eyes open as there was a black panther in the area.

Me: Southside Chicago gangsta or large cat?

Gal: Large cat.

Me: What do I do if I encounter it?

Gal: I don't know.

Me: So I have to choose between large cat and gators?

Gal: Just be careful.
    waybill and Ginger Beard like this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

:lol3 You just throw a gator at the cat. Problem solved! Now you understand the "Florida man" phenomenon!
  17. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    A brief musical interlude from a band that's still crushing it!!

wilfred likes this.
  18. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:
    Following from Tallahassee. Thanks!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After the carb teardown I was really glad I put together a more extensive tool kit like two days before we left!!!!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you for reading along!