8 days along the FLAT or "Taking our stuff sightseeing"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    In the morning we ate at a local diner and picked up the route just south of Inglis.

A quick question, why is it that so many people, upon seeing you riding a motorcycle, feel absolutely compelled to tell you a story of something horrific happening to someone that they know aboard a motorcycle? How is this socially acceptable? Would you ever walk up to a baseball player and tell them the story of someone that died of being beamed in the head by a curve ball? Or stop the garbage man and regale him with tales of dismemberment from the hydraulic apparatus that crushes trash? Ever felt the need to randomly walk up to anyone and tell them that you know that they could be injured or die because of what they are doing ? How is this a thing? Especially from one adult to another? I've never experienced it outside of motorcycling.

Anywho, a man outside of the diner decided to do this exact thing when he saw Andy and I about to get onto our bikes. I responded by telling him that Andy had almost died a while back and then listing some names of friends I've lost over the years aboard motorcycles, ending with "Part of the enjoyment of living is taking risks that let you know you're alive. Thanks for the concern anyway.". Thankfully that was a conversation ender. I really appreciate the concern folks and I get that you just want us to be cautious but please, do keep that stuff to yourselves.

We had to make up some miles so we'd be bypassing the Citrus WMA in exchange for some twisty back roads. I'll be back to ride you later...

IMG_20190218_095115.jpg

We met back up with the Withlacoochee to the south of Citrus. This area sees little weekday traffic and the shade was welcome. Day temps continued to climb well into the 80's.

P2180153.JPG

At one point you pass right under the I75 freeway. Haha, suckers! :flip

I kid of course but it sure is nice to be off the beaten path.

P2180155.JPG

A few areas to the south of Brooksville had been paved in recent years but that didn't spoil the view.

IMG_20190218_114016.jpg

Helloooo!!

P2180159.JPG

I'd love to have a cabin under those old oaks. A little slice of heaven on earth.

P2180156.JPG

We pushed south to Zephyrhills FL and stopped at a gas station for lunch. I had a funny experience while I was there in the form of being hit on by a young hippie girl that was my daughters age. I've gotten to the age a physical "shape" that keeps me from being hit on very often but this girl? Apparently she thought I was something special and was pretty blatant about her intent. I told her that I was married and that I was old enough to be her father which resulted in "I don't worry about age man. That's just a number. Your wife is a lucky woman.". I thanked her for the flattery , gave her a bit of fatherly advice in picking a partner and wished her luck in life then headed outside to eat with Andy.

I was sitting there telling Andy about how funny that experience was when she pops around the corner and hands me a free banana/coke Slushie which I had told her was my favorite (how the whole conversation had started actually). I've got to give it to her, she was persistent! :lol3

We hit the road and headed southeast back towards Sebring where we'd grab a room at the same cheap hotel as night 1.

These old country lanes, how they do call to me.
    IMG_20190218_180110_623.jpg

We ended the day in Sebring where we had a celebratory diner at a real restaurant. With a hearty "cheers" over some cocktails and a belly full of good food, we Ubered back to our rooms and planned the route for our last day on the road.

dave6253, Sandspit, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    The last day would be a long sprint down the highway. Sadly, the area south of Lake Okeechobee is almost entirely paved or gated at this point. we loaded the bikes and got on the road early, trying to avoid some of the heat that the forecast had promised.

Cruising at 65mph on a thumper with no wind protection...I'm going to have a neck like a linebacker by the end of today!!

P2190165.JPG

We ripped down us29 to find the only dirt left between the west coast and east coast of southern FL .

P2190161.JPG

Once there, WFO is pretty much the only way to run these pin straight dirt roads, especially on a dos' fiddy.

P2190185.JPG

P2190181.JPG

It may not be for everyone but I love these swamps and I was happy to be home.

IMG_20190219_134251.jpg

IMG_20190219_134312.jpg

There aren't many places where you get to mingle with dinosaurs...

P2190186.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

And with that , our week long adventure along the Florida Adventure Trail came to an end as Andy and I parted ways , heading back to our respective homes. Some say Florida is boring and flat but this particular FLAT was an absolute blast!!

IMG_1265.JPG

Thanks for following along! :freaky

3. pjgoeman

pjgoeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great trip report. As a former Florida resident I loved every update. Thanks.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read it!!
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Excellent discoveries here. I've always just flown down for spring training. A lifelong friend from Connecticut has been in Cary, NC (Raleigh-Durham area) for a decade. She suggests I ride down in the fall and leave my bike in their garage, then fly back in March and ride to Florida. Then just ride back to Alberta in April. I'm trying to put together costs. Your coverage here could be expensive for me. As mentioned earlier, aside from Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island I don't know Florida at all aside from freeways and ballparks.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I think you'd have a blast doing what your friend suggests. If you decide to give it a go, let me know. Might have to meet up along the way just to get a pic of your Roadster and my Scramster together! :ricky
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  7. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent report Dave!!!!

I have rode most of those areas, but on the paved back roads. You hit some really pretty parts of Florida.

The Brooksville area is certainly not in the mountains, but it probably has the best elevation changes in Florida.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    :super
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  10. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are a gifted story teller......I had to use the dictionary a few times......Always a treat to read one of your ride/life reports!! Keep it up man! Thanks again!! Never been to Florida but it is on the list.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your report. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
  12. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you man and as always I appreciate you reading my ramblings. There's a lot of beauty to be found in this state if you're willing to get away from the cities.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you dano, I value the praise. It's been a while since I've written anything and wasn't sure how this story was coming across. I'll have anothe FL report in Day Trippin' in a few days.

When you get here, first round's on me man!

Dave
    dano619 likes this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Much appreciated and thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear people are getting some enjoyment out of these ride reports.
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

:ricky:beer
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed this ride report very much Dave. I have been coming to Fla. every March for a month for about 9 years now. I have stayed in Mt Dora twice and east of Ocala at several different campgrounds the rest of the time. I love to ride the smaller paved roads north and west and southwest of there. I look for old rail stations and have been to most of the still existent ones in central Fla. including but not limited to Brooksville;Apopka; Deland; Orlando; Groveland....Well, you get the picture. Cedar Key is a nice afternoon's jaunt where there happens to be an old station and lunch at Pearls in Micanopy happens at least twice in the month. Just left to come home April 1st and already I am planning next March's trip.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Man that's a great time of year for a FL visit and an interesting motivation for riding and exploration. With the heavy Flagler influence combined with the early citrus boom, there are a ton of old rail stations, railway museums and rail exhibits throughout the state. I'm not sure how far south you've ventured in your searches but there's a cool train exhibit at a unique campground in Zolfo Springs as well as a railroad museum in Avon Park. The backroads riding to get to both towns is really enjoyable.

IMG_20190419_094957.jpg
  18. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed this thread @Ginger Beard. We've got family in south Florida and this is has really inspired me to seek out some tracks. We're tentatively planning on coming down from asheville this fall. I rode down last Christmas, but slabbed it. I need to rethink this next trip! Great ride report man, really enjoyed it.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you Amphib! I ride up to the Asheville area once or twice a year to visit family and friends. There are some great routes to be had between here and there even on the blacktop. In Florida, if you shoot down the center of the state, there are lightly traveled byways and highways that take you as far south as Alligator Alley. You can throw in dirt where it's available and have a nice 50/50 track from end to end. Just plan on it taking a few days from the GA/FL border. Florida is a long state!

If you're interested in seeing how I routed such a trip a while back, thumb through my ride report here . Thanks again for reading my ramblings!
    Amphib likes this.
  20. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. All the way around. You’ve restored some faith about Florida with me. I’ve always kind of thought that would be a state to completely avoid on a dirt bike.
    I can totally appreciate this. I too have BIG reservations about sharing certain routes. The bottom line is too many people in ANY situation seems to be a bad deal. While I would enjoy turning folks onto some places, doing so on the internet seems to be a recipe for "being exploited, overused and abused" as you say. I'm happy to point a route out to a fellow rider out on the trail right after I smash his gps with my heel to make sure he doesn't exploit it. Maybe I have a bad attitude about this but I've seen too many places get overrun to the point I don't enjoy them anymore.

Awesome.

What kind of bike is that with the 66 number plate? That’s the kind of enduro that inspired me to lace up the fat 18” front wheels on my dirt bikes.
    Ginger Beard likes this.