8 days along the FLAT or "Taking our stuff sightseeing"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ginger Beard, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:

Hey Joe, welcome aboard. First let me offer my sincere apologies for having brought a chair with me on this trip, especially since i never used it! :lol3

Yeah man, I understand that frustration. Like I said it completely bums me out. The only reason I spent so much time trying to put together this route was to have something to share with other riders that have no idea how fun FL can be. To feel like I should now keep it to myself sucks but not as bad as it would suck to have the FLAT turn out like the BRT. Man what a mess.

That bike is a Greeves Challenger. I'm not sure of the year but looks like a 65-66'. Seems like the fat front tire is catching on again with all of the "fatty cheater" tires coming out. You seem to be onto something!
    Amphib likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Ha! Good one, thanks for coming clean. The first step to recovery is admitting there's a problem.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

:lol3

"Hello everyone....

My name is Dave and I like to sit on chairs even while motorcycle riding. "
    dano619 and Joe Motocross like this.
  4. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I love my Kermit chair. I don't want help!!!
  5. main_cogg

main_cogg Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to do this report and thanks for stirring up lots of fond memories. Got my first bike at 15 in the mid-seventies and ran a lot of dirt roads all over north central Florida. I imagine most of them are paved by now.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks for spending time reading about the trip. Glad to hear that I was able to stimulate a little nostalgia for you. There's still some wonderful riding around that area of Florida but they won't be there forever. I'm happy to have taken this ride and to have gotten to shate it with not only a goid riding buddy but also with the inmates here.

Cheers,

Dave
    Amphib likes this.
  7. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let us know when you do the day trippin and give us a link!!
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Will do!
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Got the Day Trippin' thread started !! LINK

:beer
  10. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!! All IN!!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    For sure!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Hey GB,

Thanks for sharing. Great write up as always and well appointed with photos.

Early on a fellow adventure rider reminded me that some of the best undiscovered trails are within your "back yard".

That caused me to start focusing more on my local riding and was amazed at what I had been missing out on while doing the more known riding destinations.

There's something special about riding the outdoors in a long loop that starts and ends from home.

That canopy section of your ride was especially epic. I absolutely love riding under natural tree canopies.

I'm intrigued with your report on adventure riding Florida. There aren't many posted from there. I usually see cruisers or sport tourers riding the pavement along that coast.

Since I'm on the West Coast I don't see myself ever getting the opportunity to make it to Florida on my adventure bike unfortunately.

So I can live vicariously through your report... And appreciate it as a destination I would truly enjoy.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  13. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always enjoy Ginger Beard ride reports and this was an exceptional good one. Gave me a totally new look at Florida. Like your new bags Dave. Wouldn't happen to have made a build report would you?
    DesertSurfer and Ginger Beard like this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated DesertSurfer!

Indeed there's a bit of magic in exploring right where we are. Not every memorable trip need be far away from home. I've found great joy in rediscovering what attracted me to moto travel in the first place and it's that feeling of every ride bringing a new moment of adventure.

Tree tunnels hold a special place in my heart. There's a sense of immersion within the habitat being traveled, a tangible connectivity to the "life force" that few environments provide. It's a humbling reminder that this world isn't our domain but a generous host which deserves our adoration and protection.

Sadly even those that live here have little knowledge of what Florida offers. It's in large part the reason that I like to share these rides , both to educate and to intrigue others about this often overlooked hidden gem. I'm glad to read that it's done just that for a few of you.

You know where to find me if you do wind up taking a trip this little peninsula!

Dave

DesertSurfer likes this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you very much BornAgain! Happy to see that this RR lived up to expectations. I honestly wasn't sure how full on Epic Ride of Florida would be received given the magnitude of many rides within this forum. So many amazing tales of adventure!

I'm equally pleased to see quite a few readers saying that it's given them a new perspective on Florida. I feel fortunate to have grown up with that image of Florida and I honestly felt like I struggled to convey that picture of Florida that's in my head and heart.

Believe it or not the bags I took on this ride are half finished prototypes of a setup that I've been working on. I needed to really beat the crap out of the mounting system alone, without the additional support of the slings that the dry bags sit in. I don't have a build thread since I didn't think anyone would want to see pages of me learning how to sew and inventing new ways to string curse words together!:lol3 I've since added the bag slings and with a couple more revisions, I think I've worked out a durable and inexpensive luggage solution.

IMG_20190415_070942.jpg

If you'd like to see more pics I can snap a few later today and post them.

And thanks again for taking the time to read my report!

Dave
    DesertSurfer, dave6253 and B10Dave like this.
  16. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave. I've made a lot of my own camping gear and a few gear bags for the bike. I can really appreciate when someone takes the time and effort to make and use their own. It can be really satisfying as well as learning new ways to put cuss words together :lol3. That's looks like a great job on your bags and seemed liked they pasted the trial run. Keep up the good work.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you!! I still haven't perfected the cussing but sewing sure helped! :rofl
    DesertSurfer and B10Dave like this.
  18. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I didn't even know I wanted to ride Florida. Now I do! Thanks for the great report. Looks like a fun route. I love your reports.
    Amphib, Ginger Beard and DesertSurfer like this.
  19. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Hey GB, As a tribute to your Micanopy section I was reminded of a local trail I discovered later in my advriding life.

[​IMG]

Your offer is also mutual... if you ever find yourself in So Cal and care for some west coast canopy surfing.
    Ginger Beard and BornAgain like this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you Dave, much appreciated !! The route was a blast! If you ever find yourself in FL and want a guide or just some company , look me up!

Dave
    dave6253 likes this.