8 days of Alpine (Dolomites and beyond)

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by WasatchAdam, Jul 23, 2019.

1. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know - thanks. I figured that it would be a priority, as it's not a "recreational" road.
  2. andydj31

andydj31 In Techno we trust...

Oddometer:
    Hello! when will you be in the Dolomites? I could take a ride with you and do some interesting routes ... let me know!
  3. WasatchAdam

WasatchAdam Go fast, go far

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing 3 full days there on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of September.
  4. andydj31

andydj31 In Techno we trust...

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry I can't meet you, but for me it's working days... :cry have a nice trip!
  5. WasatchAdam

Oddometer:
    The weather forecast is for daily thunderstorms and low's of 2°C. Monday has 4cm of rain expected . Hopefully the forecast reflects what happens at home where it's mostly just afternoon storms that roll in across the mountain tops but not too widespread. I'm okay with some rain, but fog sucks and I learned my lesson with snow last fall (200yds on my ass and the bike in a ditch after riding through 5 miles of snowpacked pavement at 10,500 on the Grand Mesa)
    nsfw likes this.
  6. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mostly the storms are in the afternoon, head out early and get back in time to enjoy the weather-show from the Hotel bar ;-)

If your using a "base" Hotel then just have some short routes you can do that don't take you too far from Hotel is the conditions change.
    PorkLip likes this.
  7. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    And even if they do, you have a dry place to go back to. And the previously mentioned hotel bar.
  8. WasatchAdam

Oddometer:
    Well yesterday was terrible weather after about 1pm. Standing water, flooded roads and soaked to the bone even with Gore-tex. I rerouted south to try and stay out of the mountains but that only helped for small stretches. Overall pretty miserable conditions. BUT, today I left early and rode from 8 till 4 with perfect conditions. The riding was so good I extended the route more than once. It started raining at the top of the Sella but even then it was quite mild.

Tomorrow is looking like a good day to stay and relax with a book and beer with thunderstorms all day. Tuesday & Wednesday are forecast to be nice and sunny so I'll get in two more good days. After that the forecast is rain, rain and rain.

I'm honestly second guessing even going towards Switzerland if the weather is going to be shit all day for 3 days. Maybe I'll head south towards Bologna and check out the motor valley since the Italian GP is in a week. The forecast is for rain there too, but at least it wont also be 40°F.
  9. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me, getting out on to the passes before the stone fall crews is about early enough. leaving at say 6am.
    Manhandling the guzzi round endless bends, and your by midday you're done - ie lunchtime. Easy to make sure it is as memorable as the ride.
    Maybe another relaxed hour to some accommodation, weather permitting, then done for the day.
    Relax, chill, and take a walk - easy to not get enough exercise on a bike trip - and set yourself up for tomorrow's early start. You can also take a look at here you are. Those tiny hill side villages certainly seem bigger once you try walking round them.
    theregulator likes this.
  10. WasatchAdam

Oddometer:
    Made it to the top of Timmelsjoch today without any rain. The pass was totally fogged in though from the last tunnel onwards coming from Italy. The entire Austrian side was fog so I didn't go down to the museum. Very happy to have had another day with good weather.

Tomorrow the plans are changing for sure. Right now all of the high passes and much of Switzerland are getting snow. Gavia might be free of snow but everything after Bormio has snow. I'll probably swing south a bit and catch the Moto-Guzzi museum.
    nsfw likes this.
  11. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Snow on the Marmolada today.

Winter is coming.
    WasatchAdam likes this.
  12. WasatchAdam

Oddometer:
    Definitely didn't even try the passes today. The weather radar showed snow in Switzerland, rain all the way to Como, and plain overcast to Vicenza. I decided to head south and avoid rain as much as possible. The radar lied. It rained all day, and its still raining. All I can hope for now is clear skies tomorrow so that I dont have to pack a bag full of soaking wet riding gear. :doh
  13. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Right now in Prague and it rained yesterday and more tomorrow. I’m due to be riding the passes starting Sept. 14th and on. Looks like I have to skip the high elevation roads.
  14. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Maybe, maybe not. Mid September through mid June is always a crapshoot. Especially on the "recreational" passes.
    nsfw likes this.
  15. WasatchAdam

Oddometer:
    Its probably best to just check the daily forecast. I was showing rain and terrible weather for most of the trip but it actually ended up fairly warm and sunny on four of the days. I have learned to trust your eyes more than the radar though. It must not be very effective here with so many mountains. Stelvio was getting snow last night but it could *probably* melt and be nice if the weather holds for a day or two. I hope you get a break!
    glitch_oz and nsfw like this.
  16. nsfw

Oddometer:

i have the $2.99 app in my phone as well as in my computer (free)

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=49.6;26.9;4&l=rain-3h
  17. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Looks good - but all I see is the free version and no in-app options to upgrade. Where did you get the paid version?

Looks to be very good though - thanks.
  18. nsfw

Oddometer:
    Apple store $2.99 I remember.

So far working great. I have been able to avoid or wait out the rain.

IMG_4667.jpg
  19. John Nash

John Nash Bluenoser

Oddometer:
  20. John Nash

John Nash Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    Stelvio last month on a 2019 1250 GSA what a trip. 12 days in the alps.