800 Tiger XCx > XCxR conversion taking shape

Discussion in 'British Beasts: Triumph Tigers' started by troop, Oct 6, 2018.

1. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well ... I've been perusing tubeless threads both here and on the UK forum for a few months. After seeing results from a few UK riders, I opted to go the cast wheel route. Scoped out parts diagrams dozens of times and finally felt confident enough about fitment to pursue. Found a great deal on a rear wheel take off from a 2017 XRt and finally decided on a new front wheel (T2002016) from the local dealer. Tackled the front wheel yesterday/today and all is good. Rotors/spacers/axle/etc all lined up perfectly. I did go with new Bridgestone A41's for tires. I also opted for the slightly taller 100/90-19 versus the radial 110/80R-19 for the (slightly) additional tire height. It fills the front fender rather nicely I think. By my calculations, the front ride height only decreased by approx .5". If, over time, it feels too sharp I will get some 15mm lowering links to drop the ass down a touch. I don't think I'll need it. I took a quick spin to feel things out, albeit just in town. No ABS lights which was my biggest concern. Everything works as before. I'll do the rear wheel Monday or Tuesday and post up completed pictures...

Attached Files:

Moosehead84 and wavygravy87 like this.
  2. wavygravy87

wavygravy87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, that's killer! I waffled back and forth between XC and XR, wanted the XC suspension but not the tubes. Finally settled on a used XrX.

I'm very jealous of your setup. Looks great, hope it works awesome.
  3. DavidTen

DavidTen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! I would also like to know your thoughts on the A41. You are the only one I’ve seen in a search who has tried them.

Dave
  4. Moosehead84

Moosehead84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following with interest.
  5. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you managed to read/follow the UK site where they did the conversion from day one, but if you want to retain the same bike balance (that is, if you feel the need for it, as most people didn't), all you have to do is get the rear dogbones for the shock 25mm longer and drop the front fork into the triple by the same amount... Bear in mind that some XC did come out of the factory with the front fork already flush with the top of the triple, in which case you only need to go down another 10mm...
  6. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup .. Read that info. My forks came flush. I'll likely leave as is as the others have done, but if I did/do lower the back, I'd go with the 15mm bones..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Tiger-800-road-15mm-lowering-suspension-links-drop-kit/253467132698
  7. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All done .. Before/After

Attached Files:

Moosehead84 likes this.
  8. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
  9. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huh .. yup. Just went out/measured and have about 5mm showing. Allowing for the caps, I could likely drop them approx 4mm. Maybe next time I have the front wheel off the ground I'll drop the forks a touch.
  10. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Like I said, there are two kind of setting from the factory, but it seem that the majority of XC have that little extra fork showing at the top... If you are comfortable as it is, there is no need to change anything, but if you think about it, it should make the bike a fraction more comfortable, lowering the front fork (and you can go lower than 4mm, as, it has already been done), as it move your body a fraction back to the original upright position... What I'm trying to say is that is not just to make the bike geometry correct (or more similar to the original), but it should also relieve pressure from the palm of your hands as you don't lean that much forward... That's not the rule, as other people prefer to lean forward to compensate for the wind drag in their body...

Happy riding...
    troop likes this.