800GS Dripping oil. help.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by slashdog, Nov 22, 2008.

1. slashdog

slashdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can any one help with this problem, Ive got an 8 month old 800GS, its just come back from a service (about 2 weeks ago) and Ive noticed its dripping oil. I dont have time to bring it back to the garage and Im guessing its probably something I could sort out myself, except that Im pretty clueless when it comes to problems with my bike. yes I AM embarressed to say that. So once everyone is finished laughing and taking the piss, got any tips or advice at what I should be looking for!?

Cheers!
  2. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    No particular experience with that bike (beyond drooling), but if you think about it, there are only so many places that the oil can come from. That's what you want to identify.

Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not. Being a liquid, the stuff is going to drip down to the lowest point, so it will often wind up looking like the motor is leaking from the oil plug... and sometimes it is.

I've had three instances of oil leaks on my F650GS, and I've been somehow involved in allowing all of them to happen.

1) Misplaced the O-ring on the oil filler without realizing it. Oil streamed down both the inside and outside of the plastic faux tank in that area.

2) I had a leak from the oil sump plug, which I never really got rid of until the next oil change. I repeatedly torqued the plug (and then overtorqued it just a bit), but it continued to leak slowly I can't help but wonder if maybe there was some damage to the copper crush washer I used.

3) This was the hardest to figure out, but didn't have to be. For some reason the bolts holding the left side cover (clutch cover, etc) onto my engine started to loosen. Oil started to seep out, and it *looked* like it was another sump plug issue. It wasn't until one of the bolts actually went missing that I recognized the problem for what it was. Not only was the very front bolt missing, but many others were merely finger-tight. The simple expedient of regularly going over the engine bolts to check their torque would have prevented this.
  3. slashdog

slashdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply, I went and had a look and coudlnt see exactly where it was coming from, it was pretty high up the engine so I called BMW and they were, as always in my local garage, very helpful and said bring it round to them for a look. So after about 20 minutes they said they never seen it happen on the 800GS but it looked like it was coming out from a 'cover' (Ive forgotten the name already) and there was oil all down the left side, presumeably because it was on the side stand. So he reckons its safe to drive and Im booked in to get it sorted in 2 weeks time. I really need to go and learn more about my bike!

thanks again for the response, did you really write it at 4am!?

cheers!
  4. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    Not 4 AM my time, more like half past seven.

In any case, it sounds like the 'valve cover' is what's loose for some reason. This is an area that should be opened up for inspection and adjustment on a semi-regular basis, and perhaps was not closed up properly last time 'round. The good news is that there shouldn't be any actual engine damage.
  5. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    He is also assuming that you will keep a close eye on the crankcase oil and add whatever amount is necessary to keep the level at factory specifications. Read you manual and find out how to do this!

Also, if you're going to ride looking like a shot up Lancaster with oil streaming down the flank, be careful. With your weather you'll want to make certain that you're not oiling the rear tire which is sure to produce exciting results at the first roundabout.