1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

800Gs Engine Stall

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by berkly, Aug 29, 2008.

1. berkly

berkly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I just experienced my first engine stall coming home from work. Shifting down from 3rd to 2nd and entering a turn no less. Back wheel locked up and I went squirrely for two or three turns to gain control as I swerved into the oncoming lane. Luckily no traffic was coming, but Im sure the lady behind me thought I was going to lay it down.

Sure enough it started right back up, went another stretch and back up to 3rd gear before downshifting for the oncoming stoplight. While easing out the clutch into 2nd and, It stalled AGAIN. Luckily I was on a straightaway and staring at the tachometer, so I pulled the clutch back in and restarted on the roll.

Rode the rest of the way home with no further problems except for the rain shower that was 2 miles away from the house.

No more downshifting for me. I called dealership and they said bring it in so we can replicate it.

Sunnuva biscuit eater, this bike brings me so much joy why did it have to do this. I thought all the european riders were gonna work this out for us.
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I was at my dealer today ogling the new F650 that they just got (still waiting on my F800) and he showed me the printout of the service bulletin that BMW sent him about the software update that's supposed to fix this problem. It even specifically mentions the engine stall. So hie thee to thine dealer and get the update. From what I've read on the UKGSer site, not everyone is convinced that the update fixes the problem. But most have reported smooth sailing since having it done.

He also told me that all the bikes coming after the initial two boatloads, i.e., after the ones that are here now, will have the update programmed at the factory.

David
  3. JEFFR259

JEFFR259 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    We've seen this commonly with the F800ST's and F800S's at our store. Now, our F800GS customers haven't come in yet to take their bikes (tomorrow), so I don't have a exact scenario matchup...but consider this based on what we've experienced with the F800ST's.

DISCLAIMER***- I'm in no way ignoring or discounting the fact you may have a problem with the bike, you might....

Anyways....The Parallel Twin in the 800's has a very light flywheel. In EVERY SINGLE stalling complaint we've had on the F800ST and F800S owners, they were running the motor at too low an RPM....the engine would stall out if the RPM's weren't high enough as they would downshift from 2nd to 1st, and occasionally from 3rd to 2nd.

I have a customer on a F800S in particular who brought back his bike to us numerous times for stalling at slow speed during downshifts. Everytime we checked out the bike, there were no signs of anything wrong, and it NEVER stalled for us......long story short, we told him to drop a gear down in every aspect of his riding. Prior to that suggestion, it would stall almost everytime he rode it. After the suggestion, never stalled again. And he continues to call me to this day to thank us for the suggestion and thank us for not tearing his new bike apart looking for a problem that wasn't there.

Point is, if the dealer doesn't find anything wrong with the bike, trying dropping down a gear in your riding habits. Usually ride a road in 4th gear on your other bikes? Try riding the GS in 3rd. That motor likes to rev, and is most comfortable at 3,300rpm +.....downshift from an RPM range of 2500-3000 and you may experience the occasional stall.....

Just inputting what I have seen/know.

ENJOY THAT AWESOME BIKE!
  4. JEFFR259

JEFFR259 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    +1 to this too Berkly. Check with the dealer to make sure that they installed CIP 12.0 in the bike. ALL new 800's and 650's are to have this programmed in the bike BEFORE delivery to customers......
  5. berkly

berkly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the replies. I'm calling the dealer now
  6. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Are you giving it throttle and matching revs on downshifts or are you downshifting on a closed throttle? Some people don't know to do this.
  7. jetdocX

jetdocX Out of the Orange Closet

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Deja-Vu. Keep us posted, please.

And please ignore anyone telling you you are riding it incorrectly, this is a known BMW tack on something like a shitty fuel map.:rofl
  8. Uriel

Uriel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do this for every gear change and have covered about 1200 miles so far without a single stall.
  9. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    What did BMdubya sneak a Uly motor in on you guys? :D

I am anxiously awaiting to find out in my Uly is totaled or not. If totaled the 800GS is on my short list. Looks like just what I am looking for.
  10. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope this doesn't turn into the kind of issues that the '01 F650's had. Mine stalled on me often - sometimes in intersections like you explained (tho not on downshift). I never did have total confidence in that bike. Good luck getting this sorted.
  11. berkly

berkly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    went in and had the dealer install CPI 12.0. Drove 80 miles to Tulsa without any problems. I will update
  12. slowrider_nh

slowrider_nh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know that my dealer specifically told me they were loading the newest CPI as part of the PDI. They said it was a "necessary" update, but didn't give me any other details.
  13. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
    Rpm too low for the gear downshifting? I don't get it...
  14. Keystone

Keystone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in my break-in period so I'm riding the twisties and shifting up and down frequently. So far 300 miles and no stalls.

I made sure my dealer had the latest software installed and I learned how to aggressively blip the throttle on downshifting from my ex-K1200.

A free rev'ing engine like that of the 800 requires a sharp, strong twist to match speed on a downshift. I'm just guessing, but I'd say I snap the throttle about an eighth of a turn when downshifting. Clutch-snap-clutch.
  15. JEFFR259

JEFFR259 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    Well, for my guys that have 800ST's and S's, they were not matching engine speed enough, and since the motor is so free revving (light flywheel), the motor wouldn't continue to hold idle during a downshift at low speeds...it would just stall out.

Doing this will also rectify a stalling problem when it is mismatching motor/wheel speed, as opposed to just keeping the revs higher..........

I know, none of what I'm writing makes sense....hard to explain :huh <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  16. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good advice here. I've had one stall when changing up from a very high revving fourth gear to a (I got it wrong) low revving fifth. One stall in 1900 miles. The way I see it; my fault.
  17. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:

I don't either. When I down shift, the engine rpm increases. :dunno
  18. Navaho

Navaho Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just brought my 650 in for the first service. 720 miles and no issues with stalling. I did however notice a flat spot (bog) just above idle, especially after getting back on the throttle after decelleration.
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Jeff: I hear what you're saying!
    Do we know if the same flywheel is used in GS as in the S/ST?
    Were it me, I'd give the GS slightly more massive flywheel to help get over the rough stuff at slow speeds ... but then I'd also give the GS a WIDE ratio gear box too ... :huh but I'm not taking my F658GS back either :lol3

I have always done the "throttle blip" thing on downshift too, although someone told me that it was not appropriate for fuel injected bikes... I pressed for details but did not get anything satisfying ....

Mine stalled 3 times on way home from dealer in 150 miles, but since then no issues.

As another person mentioned I do have slight throttle lag when throttling up after decel. part of this "feeling" might be result of loose throttle cable and the fact that I am used to the 2-cable push-pull set-up which is a bit more precise. I have reduced the amount of slack in my cable but have not ridden since.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 for this AM!

Jim
  20. JEFFR259

JEFFR259 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    Jim-

Glad you are understanding what I'm trying to explain. I don't know if the flywheel is the same. Now, I got to ride the 800GS for the first time yesterday, and I am able to discern some engine characteristic differences between the 800ST and 800GS. Seems to have a little thicker lobe to it than the ST, and seems peppier, but thats most likely ratio changes in the final drive setup versus the ST (belt....chain...etc).

Didn't stall on me though, haahahahaha!! It does take a wicked sweeper by our shop at 90 without protest! :clap ...wait, I mean 45mph...the speed limit.