1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

800Gs Engine Stall

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by berkly, Aug 29, 2008.

1. JEFFR259

JEFFR259 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    Correct, obviously the rpms increase as you step down a gear.

More specifically, its the engine rpm BEFORE the actual shift and clutch lever release that has induced F800 stalling. The guys that have stalled, are carrying too low a rpm before downshifting (as you coast down using engine braking, your engine rpm slows with bike speed slowing), and they're lugging the motor way to much as they go to pull in the clutch and make the downshift. Some riders were not blipping up the engine speed at all or just plain too low in the band. And when that clutch would get pulled in, and low mph speeds and low rpm speeds, the idle would just drop down and off, effectively stalling.

Is it too light a flywheel or is the electronic engine management too slow to compensate, I dunno!

Damn, sure making myself seem stupid here :lol3
  2. grandpa_ken

grandpa_ken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would increasing the idle speed help the low RPM stall?
  3. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW: My 2006 KTM 950 Adv had a stalling problem at stops; also idle adjust was erratic. I believe it was a tight engine. Problem was gone by 1000 miles.

A hesitation blipping the throttle after pulling in the clutch could give it enought time to stall.
  4. JEFFR259

JEFFR259 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    Sure would, but BMW hasn't called me yet to ask what the idle should be set at :rofl

And it's not adjustable at the dealer level :cry

I want my Carbs back!!!!! :lol3
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have not had any more stalling since the 1st day ...
    Engine breaking in?
    Me getting better with the bike?
    Computer still "learning" the bike?
    Not sure, but no more issues here so far...

Knock on wood!

Jim
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Blame BMW, not fuel injection. My TDM900's FI and features a small adjuster knob within easy reach that sets idle speed :wink:
  7. easyman05

easyman05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I doubt it's your fault. What you could do to cut off the engine?
    I believe this is just the beginning - my wife faced the same stallings when upshifting, but from 3rd to 4th.
    The reason was in the contacts of the ignition lock/the lower part of the assembly/ - it was replaced under warranty together with immobiliser ring antenna 10 Kkm ago and no issues from then.
  8. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sheesh you would swear it was a crap bike or something. :D

I have had mine for 3500km and never have had a problem, and I love to gear down...

I knew about this stalling problem, so made sure that I had the latest software upgrade in the bike CIP 12 when I got it. This fixes that problem.
  9. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Confused the crap out of the EMS? It really was an awful gear change. :shog
  10. slowrider_nh

slowrider_nh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So not sure yet how to feel about this....I was low on gas when it happened. Fuel light came on, OBC showed about 20 miles to go when I was getting off the highway.

It was pissing rain down on me on my way to Cromag. I was engine braking in third gear on the off ramp and I could feel the engine doing something different/hesitate (rev's were still 3500+ in gear). I pulled the clutch in and gave it some gas.

Maybe this is entirely due to being low on gas.

200 miles later and it hasn't done it again....we'll see.
  11. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    The cutout isn't related to the mapping of the engine, it's an issue with the sidestand switch sending a shitty message to the computer and then the computer shutting the engine down as a result. More info here:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18806

Additionally, the latest CIP update that is out is 11.2, not 12.0. 11.2 specifically addresses this issue.
  12. MNRon

MNRon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we KLRistas get a new (or previously owned) KLR, one of the first things most of us do is override the sidestand switch. I've never had issues with another bike, so it's interesting to find that the beemer is having this issue.
  13. jigdog

jigdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 01 Dakar did the same thing. The dealer tried to tell me it was all my fault. Actually, they tried a lot of different tacks none of which had anything to do with the problem. They never did fix it. And it got to the point it did it every day there before I sold it. Yes it might have something to do with the sidestnd switch or the wiring harness where it goes into the ingition switch. The only sure cure is: dont buy one in the first place!
  14. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    I know the OEM's have to meet more stringent smog reg's every year, but this Inmate's solution sure appeals to me:

Attached Files:

• gs08.jpg
      gs08.jpg
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Frostbit

Frostbit Is it cold in here?

Oddometer:
    Riding in the rain on a twisty road in 3rd at around 3K and the engine simply quit. Rear end locked up and after a short slide I pulled in the clutch and hit the start button. The damn thing started right up like nothing was wrong...WTF? :huh I'll triple the miles tomorrow and see if it happens again.
  16. jigdog

jigdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my F650 the eninge would stall and not idle. Turning the ignition off and on again the it would restart and run as though nothing had happened!
  17. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's up with BMW??? I have an 07 G650X with stalling issues, and I just have given up... I like my bike, and just accepted the fact it stalls... Dealership never takes responsibility or fixes it. It's always my fault, or the latest thing is that it's just normal to stall because its a single 650... Someone mentioned the ignitioin buttom (next thing to check).
  18. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:

I'm surprised how many people are telling riders to tweak shift points, and throttle blipping to keep the bike from stalling.

Yes, tweaking your riding style may keep the bike from stalling, but that is only a band-aid over what ever is causing the bike to stall.

The bike should not stall, especially when in gear and the rpms are above idle speed.

I've ridden a CB 350 with clogged pilot jets. Wouldn't idle, but I could tweak everything to keep the bike running. Just because I could keep the bike running doesn't mean there wasn't an issue.

Whether it's a side stand issue, or a fuel map issue, it should be fixed.
  19. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Shouldnt the ABS kick in and stop the bike from skidding? :huh

Just joking...:lol3

One thing I noticed on my new F800gs is has a very strong compression breaking compared to my last 3 GS's .... a stall would cause a jerk for sure!
  20. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    +1 on the compression braking ... I'm having a bit of a time getting used to that; I think the newer bikes must completely cut fuel to the injectors (or cut it more aggressively) than older/other models...

Jim