800GS On Board Computer

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Neubz, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Neubz

Neubz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you need the on board computer on the 800GS? Without the OBC, is there a trip odometer or some other way to figure out your fuel situation?

What if you get a Zumo 550 or something similar. Is there any reason to have the OBC if you have the Zumo?

Basically, I'm asking what the heck does this thing do?
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get it, it's a nice addition: it gives you your mileage (mpg), distance to empty, range with full tank at current speed, and ambient temperature. Without it, you still have 2 resettable trip meters.
  3. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the new F650 with the onboard computer.... believe me, i didn't want it when i was getting the bike, but ended up getting talked into it.

If i can give you one word of advice... well two words: DO IT. you will not regret the extra few bucks. I am constantly using it and love it!

the features I use the most are 'outside temp' 'tire pressure (this is great if you're doing road and offroad)' 'distance til refuel'.

whether you end up getting a gps with those features or not you will not regret it. just think, if you are just going on a day trip or out for a couple of hours you will not always want to be farting around with the gps. the computer is very accurate and very handy.

oh, also... current (at the moment) fuel economy, average fuel economy (MPG)...average speed. two trip meters.
    ride on!
    McD
  4. Neubz

Neubz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point. I didn't think of that. I'm sold. Thanks.
  5. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It also includes the gear indicator.
  6. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, the OBC displays the tire pressure ONLY if the bike also was built with the TPM option.

:deal
  7. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    Clarifying further:

The F800GS will not have the tire pressure monitoring system. This is only available with the cast rims of the F650GS.
  8. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Yeah ... what he said "DO IT"... :lol3

Extra comments:
    Fuel level gauge is nice, and as "protection" I VERY MUCH like the temp. gauge so that I can watch it to see if the temp. is starting to "creep" up for some reason and have an indication of that before the over-temp. idiot light would come on...

(mud filled radiator or whatever...)

Jim
  9. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    I was on the fence on getting the computer at first. At least here in the states it's part of a package that includes the heated grips (still not sure why they lumped those two together) so even if the OBC turns out to be a bit of a novelty more than a necessity having the factory heated grips will be worth a chunk of change itself on cold days. That made it easy for me to add that option an not look back.
  10. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm old and I want all the boytoys I can get before I die. Including the computer. Even have a brand new Zumo sitting here in the event taht the bike ever arrives! But, one thing that kinda bugged me was that they wanted extra bucks for something as trivial as different colored turn signal lenses. I got the standard out of principal. Also didn't get the alarm system as I intend to sleep with her wherever I go.
  11. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Amber lenses are the shit on my gray bike..Plus it saved like 80bucks:clap

when you knock em off, get whatever color, same price
  12. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    Some misunderstanding here...

The amber bulbs that are required for the clear turn signal lenses have a different pin pattern on them to prevent their use in the wrong socket. Yes, the bulb socket you get behind the clear lenses is different than the socket you get with the amber lenses. So when you "knock em off" you can't change to clear lenses as you can't (without changing the sockets) put in the amber bulbs.

:nono
  13. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    Is this OBC something that you just plug in? Do you have to dissasemble the dash and put in a chip? How accurate are the speedo and tach?

TPM doesn't come standard on the 800 either eh? I assume you need cast rims and tube tires wont support tire pressure monitoring...

Is there a clock on the dash also? What other kinda cool stuff does the electronics do?
  14. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife got the OBC on her F800ST last year. I was so jealous of it, I totalled my F650GS so I could go buy an F800GS with the OBC. :lol3 I may have to "get rid of" my R1100RS as well. :evil
  15. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Tick-tock, yes there's a clock. But my favorite part of the computer package is the thermometer. I'm a temp-dweeb, so sue me:lol3
  16. camfarm

camfarm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike runs fine without it.
  17. Roonie

Roonie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the clear lenses but have taken them all off and switched to LED blinkers from TT. A fairly easy switch and the LED are so much brighter and smaller.
  18. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    the obc has no effen voltmeter... what where they thinkin? even my radar detector has one.
  19. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found the miles to empty feature on the obc to be accurate?
    Mine seems to be a little optimistic about the remaining range, but probably due to break-in method ( lots of varied rpm on hilly terrain)
    Thanks
    Glen
  20. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I seemed to have 110 to empty for about 100 miles once... :rofl I think that was on the very first tank, though. I was joking that I had infinite range. I've always got 110 more miles of fuel!