800GS On Board Computer

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Neubz, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    No. And it has run dry at 24 and 36 miles left on the OBC. I haven't had the dealer reset it yet although I plan to (eventually). I don't use it any more and stick to my own math using the odometer.
  2. everywherevirtually

everywherevirtually In Omnibus Caritas

Oddometer:
  3. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Ron Wardman

Ron Wardman Beemerguy

Oddometer:
    I have found my computer to be quite accurate once the miles to empty is below 70 miles. On several occasions I have run it right down to 5 miles left and the fill up reflected that closely. I would depend on it if necessary.
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    My experience matches yours, Ron. Though I've only run it down to the low teens three times now, and once to 7 miles left, each time the amount of gas I put in was exactly the amount predicted by the OBC.

David
  6. everywherevirtually

everywherevirtually In Omnibus Caritas

Oddometer:
    A month after getting my bike I ran it down to 4 miles. I was in the Gas Station waiting to fill up. The woman in front of me was still parked at the pump and talking on her phone so I revved the engine to get her to move and it died right there. I rolled it the 4ft to the pump.

Then a month later it died on me when I was out on my lunch. I started pushing it back the 3 miles to work when a kind lady picked me up and took me to get some fuel (turns out her hubby was a GS'er and he televised the Moto GP in the UK) It had 21 miles on the clock on that occasion. Then in Ireland last month it had 50 miles to go when it died.

Some people have said it is averaging the fuel consumption on the total mileage. Either way it's had two recalls by BMW to tinker with the software. I think it was also related to the stalling issue. It's a software issue either way so now I just set my Garmin to monitor the fuel and also reset the trip meter and refuel every 190 miles.

As an aside I still love the OBC for the temp gauge and the other features on it.
  7. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gentleman, thank you for all your replies and insight. My range to empty will probably improve once my throttle is a little more consistant after break-in.
    By the way, I always fill up and run her dry on the slab and note the mileage. Then I add the 1 1/2 gallons from my strap on to get me to a gas station.
    Glen
  8. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

Just curious why you push it?
    Why not refuel more often instead of letting it get so close to empty?
  9. lonerockz

lonerockz Permanent n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    DolphinJohn, I don't mean to question your masculinity, but my wife says the exact same thing. I consider it a matter of personal pride to only fill up when I'm running on fumes. It takes no great skill to find a gas station and fill up knowing you have another 50 miles on your tank. On the other hand pulling in to the gas station and having it die as you coast to the pump is the the sign of a true master at work.

Of course I dont follow these guidelines when I am in an area populated with carnivors capable of eating people; Alaska and South Central come to mind. :lol3

Steve
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Because some of us live in places where you sometimes have to run the tank to near empty to get where you're planning to go. Come on out here and ride in eastern Oregon, or northern Nevada, where you can find places where there's 200+ miles between gas stations. Then you'll understand.

David
  11. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Moving moving moving

Oddometer:
    A radar detector? Do tell more... I didn't know this was out there for bikes...or are you referrring to the auto unit?

12. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

Places like this?

[​IMG]
    or this?

[​IMG]

or perhaps this?

[​IMG]

Happy Holidays ya FFs!!!

p.s. I dun been ta western or'gun, too!! (never east of Portland, but I'll come visit if'n ya got bacon!!)

[​IMG]
  13. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting observation yesterday while riding in the coolness:
    The air temperature gage is set to report the temp in 0.5 deg C increments. If you have it indicating in deg F it just comverts the C value to F.
    Hince:
    deg C = Deg F
    10.0 = 50.0
    10.5 = 50.9
    11.0 = 51.8
    11.5 = 52.7
    12.0 = 53.6
    etc

I had been wondering why it was showing these odd decimal amounts.
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan....
    I had been wondering about that also....
    Funny where the mind goes on a boring cold stretch of highway :lol3
  15. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    Mine seems pretty accurate although I've never run until empty. Lowest I've had it was 7 miles during the great SC/NC fuel crisis over the summer.
  16. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    The computer comes with Heated grips!:clap

17. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I installed an passport 8500 above the hi beam and have it set up to monitor voltage. The radar detector is connected through my autocom for audible leo alerts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]