800GS rear pegs a liabilty?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Desert Dave, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    From day one I noticed the passenger pegs/brackets stick way out an wondered if it would be a problem. Sitting in my natural position the back of my boot contacts them almost instantly if I need to paddle through rough stuff. I've adjusted my paddle technique accordingly, but this means sticking my legs way out to clear them, I feel like a cheerleader doing the splits. I tried to get used to it.

Yesterday my ride brought this issue to a head. Lots of ice and long frozen snow banks that were iced over so the bike didn't dig in. A number of these required my legs to be used as outriggers. While most of the time I could "spread 'em" an do fine, I ran into quite a few moments where I just had to dab a foot down quickly an more than once my boot stuck an got caught on the peg bracket. Thankfully my foot wasn't in a rut or rock so bad that I couldn't free it, and in most of these cases I was going slow that my boot may have just brought the bike to a halt, so no harm done, yet.

It does have me quite concerned. It seems that sooner or later I may get my foot stuck on a root at quicker speeds an snap goes the leg. Same reason I don't run hard panniers off-road as I've had my boots sucked into soft bags enough (they give).

I'm seriously considering taking a cut off wheel to the brackets. The right side will be easy an give me ample clearance. The left side will require a little more thought as the pipe is still there, but cutting off the peg and where it attaches to the bracket will give me quite a bit more room, even if it's not perfect. The left bracket also helps protect the pipe, but I have soft bags/frame that will take care of that. I'm not concerned with passenger issues as I bought this bike for a solo mount. I suppose it'll hurt my resale value, but I've never been to concerned with that. I'm sure I'll do things to this bike on the trail that will hurt the resale value more than that :D. Worst case scenario a new subframe is $950 to get it back to stock, I figure a grand isn't to much compared to lying on a trail with a broken leg and hypothermia is setting in.

Am I nuts for thinking this? I'm suprised I haven't seen it brought up before. Anyone else have the same thoughts or am I completely overlooking something? Let me know before I fire up my compressor. I noticed the Tunisia bikes were all stock and there was plenty of paddling going on there. Are you guys just dealing with it? Small issue, or does it seem like a liabilty to you?
  2. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, I don't know you, but I have read lots of your post and it seems to me you know what your doing. Go with your gut feeling on the passenger pegs. Removing the pegs crossed my mind the other day while paddling through some deep gravel with the stock tires(I'm new at off roading)as I too hit the rear pegs. My 9 year old son would really be disappointed if I did.

Ride safe
    Glen
  3. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, I just looked at my rear pegs on the F800 and if I where to remove them, I would leave about 1" of the steel tube on the sub frame so they could be welded back on via a round sleeve that would serve as a welded coupling.

Glen
  4. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    You're not alone, Dave. It was one of the first things I looked at after I got the bike, having felt them poking at me just paddling around the driveway.

Unfortunately (er, well, you know what I mean) I have to maintain the 2up capability of the bike (or at least the premise thereof).

If you're not going with hard luggage, and don't need the mount point, chop 'em. Kind of defeats the point of soft luggage with those potential leg breakers back there.
  5. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a dangerous statement. If I knew what I was doing I probably wouldn't need to spend so much time with my feet down :lol3

Good call on the coupling idea, I've been looking at my options for making it easy to re-attach.
  6. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think they're worse than the hard luggage I've been avoiding.

When I saw those spare fuel cans that use them as a mount point I just cringed.
  7. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

For sure, since every bit of hard luggage I've seen is far enough behind them to leave room for a pillion.

I really thought I was going to end up with Caribou's on this bike, but reevaluating the way I think I'll be using it, I'll probably go with a top box for daily commuting, and some sort of soft luggage for "trips".

Now if they'd only make a Giantloop for it... :deal

Me too. :arg
  8. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    I haven't had this problem yet, but I see the potential. I was bummed when I first saw the bike that they were welded on instead of bolted.

I don't seen why you couldn't chop them off then buy some aftermarket clamp-ons if you want to ride two-up. They might even tuck in well enough to be semi-permanent.
  9. Dert Gerl

Dert Gerl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave,

What timing ...

I'm just coming in from the garage after finishing the passenger peg removal project and saw your thread.

I had the same issue on my first real dirt ride which was last weekend. They are now gone! Had to take apart the whole back end of the bike to cut them off and grind them down. Also didn't want to weld a new tab on to relocate the brake reservoir with the sub frame attached to the bike. It was a bigger project than I anticipated but I got to know the bike much better in the process.

https://dtrigilio.smugmug.com/gallery/6785523_3LjRG#P-1-15

I ended up making a new tab for the reservior. I used the original bolt with a nylon spacer behind the tab so that the hose did not hit the tab and just put a nut on the back of it. The hose is a bit long now. Might have to shorten it. For now I just clipped it back into the plastic holder that's on the sub frame. I think it turned out pretty clean. My metal working skills could use some improvement, but the reservoir is tucked away in a safe place and you can still get the lid on/off easily.

Now if I can just figure out why I have one trim bolt left over. Ugghh!
  10. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    Nice work, Dert Gerl.
  11. mrleadfoot67

mrleadfoot67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well the good news is that my rear pegs have helped to keep the rear of the bike out of the rocks a time or two after a tip over, and they are kind of nice to put my feet on during a long (long) road trip. The cylinders on the old R100GS were much more in the way than the rear pegs are for me (and also made nice foot rests during long road trips).

I guess you'll have to instruct your passenger to wrap her legs around you after the pegs come off...might not be such a bad mod after all :)
  12. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Very nice, especially the reservoir relocation. That's going to make mine look like a real hack job! :lol3
  13. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    Dave, this could be a legal issue depending on what state you live in. Here on the frozen tundra of MinnySota state law requires that any motorbike that has 2up capability SHALL have passenger pegs.

I had removed mine from my DR650 and when I went to take the riders test last summer they made me go home and put them back on.

Just a thought.

Cowboy2:ricky
  14. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    That is one of the more retarded laws on the books. :huh
  15. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You first Dave, but while you are in there, try to figure out how to move the exhaust can inwards a couple of inches.:evil
  16. Dert Gerl

Dert Gerl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Thread hijack ... Dave did you do a trip down to baja with Arizona Trail Riders and Bill Nichols back in probably 2001 on a KLR? Your picture sure looks like a guy who was on the trip.
  17. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Dave, I was going to order a couple of these ... http://www.bestrestproducts.com/celestia/products/pegpacker/

I figure I'm going to need at least two gallons for a my wanderings and the Pegpacker looks better than anything else around. I like keeping the weight down low, but if you're having trouble with the passenger pegs now ... what do you think about these? There's a PDF on installing on the page.
  18. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    Those are the ones that made me cringe. I can only see those making a bad situation worse, in this regard. Of course if the pegs don't bother you to begin with, maybe it's not an issue for you. I'd consider them if I only rode street, but the amount of times I put a boot down, no thanks for me.
  19. Desert Dave

Oddometer:
    I get told that a lot....I gotta meet this guy runnin around lookin like me :lol3

But no, that wasn't me.
  20. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is a hijack but what soft bags would you use on the 800?