1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

800Gs Rear suspension Preload/Damping Settings?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by berkly, Sep 13, 2008.

1. berkly

berkly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So let me know if i have this right.

From the manual:
    Standard Preload settings is the knob turned maximum counter-clockwise, which is set for 187lb rider + full tank of gas

Maximum allowable weight is 520lbs

It takes 20 FULL turns of the preload knob to reach the maximum

Roughly 330lbs of adjustability in the preload

330lbs/20turns = 16.5lbs per turn

So I weigh 230lbs, which is a difference of roughly 40lbs from standard, divided by 16.5lbs/turn equals roughly 2.42turns,

lets call it 2.5 turns of preload tension which is 10% overall

THe manual calls for preload and damping settings to match or be pretty close. Adjust the damping softer/clockwise for rougher roads and harder/counter-clockwise for smoother roads.

Damping standard for again a 187lb rider and full tank is screwed all the way clockwise minus 1.5 clicks back counter-clockwise. What the FUCK is a click???:huh My shit dont click when i turn it. Is it a full turn and a half? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

i know this is frivelous and for most situations, standard settings will get you down the road, but I just want to learn, and Im a geek YFF.:freaky
  2. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    berkly,

Don't try to calculate the preload adjustment - just measure your sag and use the adjuster to set it correctly.
    Crank it in until you have apx 2.5-3" sag with you and whatever gear/luggage you ride with.

A guy your size may want to get a heavier spring. I'm ~170 lb, so the sag is just right for me with minimal preload - knob about 1 turn in.

If you have too much rear sag, the steering will be even slower. (I raised my forks ~1/4" to improve the handling.)
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Based on how mine came from the dealer I "assumed" (and yes I know what that means :lol3) that one "click" = one full turn.

Jim