800GS shock bolt design flaw?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by johngil, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I think Best Rest significantly lowered the price of their part..
  2. cgguy09

cgguy09 ScientiƦ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    yea, by about half.
  3. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Pulled my shock bolt today, 2014 with 11000 km on it. Aftermarket shock had been installed just before I got the bike. I took a trip on the TWVT last summer and it appears it had it's effect because the bolt did have a slight bend to it. I don't think it was bad for what I rode through, but I am not a big fan, and I do pack lighter than some may. Time to do a fix I guess.
  4. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Or just change the bolt once in a while.

BuiltnotBought and hellyhans like this.
  5. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I did, I replaced the bolt for a 12.9 grade and I have soft luggage and my spring preload is setup properly. And never had issues.
    And I ride hardcore off-road Enduro trails.
    I think this issue is also caused by too much luggage, and a wrongly set preload or rear spring rate...this,or BMW did something on my machine and I have a special one lol
  6. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    I did a lot of rough stuff on my 800 and the bolt did bend a little. Back then you could get the Indy kit which was rock solid. If you bent that you were riding home in a helicopter!

hellyhans likes this.
  7. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Not a bad thought. Ive enjoyed your vids and I don't think I ride much rougher than what you guys have. I'm 150+ gear and soft luggage.
  8. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Not sure what I am in my gear but 230 out of the shower. That poor bolt held up pretty well! I saw that Bestrest has cut the cost of their solution in half recently.

9. tourer69

tourer69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm thinking of changing the bolt before my trip up north. Can you advise where to get the bolt ? I knew BestRest has a solution but trying to save some pennies for other fresh parts.
  10. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    False economy. Have you priced a new frame?
    ultane likes this.
  11. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Don't be a tight arse; really, don't be tight.
    ultane likes this.
  12. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    If you stay on smooth pavement, you can save your pennies for the fresh parts.
  13. Flopix

Flopix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the BestRest kit two years ago, and never looked back. I was on a trip in Utah last fall, we did some pretty rough stuff fully loaded, and I never thought about that bolt. Peace of mind has a price, and it isn't that high! :-)
  14. Sjones423

Sjones423 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the best rest mount yesterday. Minor adjustment was needed for the lower bolt.

For what its worth, I've ridden around 20,000 miles mostly on road. I do lots of riding 2 up, fully loaded with luggage for camping etc and my old bolt was completely straight. At least I've peace of mind now.

Has anyone noticed any difference in the rear suspension, having removed the rubber 'bung' and replaced it with the metal brace?
  15. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the F700 has the same issue? My daughter and her fiance' just bought a 700/800 respectively, and I'd like to buy them the Best Rest mounts........do I get one or two?
  16. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    The part number for the bolts are the same but the bushing is different. Call Best Rest and ask them if they have sold many for 700 riders.
    zgfiredude likes this.
  17. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I'm 99% sure its the same, but as suggested just check, he may even poke his head in here as he does from time to time
    zgfiredude likes this.
  18. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    When I got mine they were the same, but mine is the 650, not the 700. I don't think there is any difference, but I could be misguided. Not wrong, misguided.
    According to their website, it fits 650's, 700's and 800's 2008 through to 2019, so all models including Adventure models.
    zgfiredude likes this.
  19. tourer69

tourer69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the backrest brace. Very well-made and took me a while to align the upper bolt, shock and etc. It is really very tight fit. I found it easier if I align the brace and then the shock. I used a wood block to hammer the shock into place. Be careful when you tighten the lower bolt to spec, I actually strip the head out. Have to buy another one.
  20. DFVans

DFVans Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to add to the fray. Earlier in this post one was talking about the difference in strength between a 10.9 OEM bolt to the 12.9 bolt found with the braces. Ultimately the results were a 15% increase is bolt strength between the two. Technically those numbers were expressed in MegaPascals. Not many of us, including me, don't use MPa's a to measure anything. What I did was find the conversion from MPa to Foot pounds of torque. Ultimately the difference between the two grades of bolts equates to over 23K Lb/Tq . That's a lot. I discovered mine too was bent, just a little, and I've bottomed my bike out several times, hard. I'll be using just the 12.9 bolt and a spacer that is wider to disperse the load against the frame and a heavy wide washer on the outside of the frame. I suspect that'll do. Total cost? $12 u.s. Lastly, as others have said, I think the bigger issue is not having your preload set up properly. The harshness of banging/hammering that bolt when bottoming out is what actually does the damage. If you never bottom out, you'll probably never bend that bolt.