82 it 175 front fork question

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by chevcamaro305, May 27, 2016.

1. chevcamaro305

chevcamaro305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Iv never really played with front forks much or any shocks for that matter . Anyone know how much air pressure to put in them ? Do I set it with tire on or off the ground ? And how do I go about changing and refilling the oil in them ?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
  2. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Wahnapitae as in just east of Sudbury?

I think the range is like 0-5psi for those forks.
    The forks come apart by removing the retaining bolt from the bottom fork leg. I would try to find a manual if you're attempting to rebuild.

Sean :bmwrider
  3. chevcamaro305

chevcamaro305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup down Dryden . Where you from ?

4. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Originally from the Valley but now living in Dowling.

Sean :bmwrider
    chevcamaro305 likes this.
  5. chevcamaro305

chevcamaro305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honestly I'd like to just pour out the old oil and put new in and if they slowly leak repeat as necessary . I'm not doing any real trail riding mostly back roads n such . I'd just like to know how to do it . Where would I find a manual ?

6. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    You could get lucky and Royal might have one on the rack. I've been lucky in the past searching online for some manuals.

If you just want to drain I'm pretty sure undoing the bottom bolt will drain the fork leg (careful not to pull apart if you don't want that) and unscrewing the air valve at the top will let you drain the oil above the piston. I did a quick check and the same year DT forks (found an online manual) hold approx. 440cc of oil so the IT ones should be similar.

Sean :brow
    chevcamaro305 likes this.
  7. chevcamaro305

chevcamaro305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the bolt your referring to , is that directly under the forks ? Rather large hex type plug something around 1/2" ? And to fill it does the oil have to go back in threw that same plug ?

8. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Yes. That bolt holds the two parts from coming apart though so be careful. You can refill it through the same hole if you want but I would recommend from the top.

1. Pull bottom bolt, drain bottom, put bolt back in. Do not cycle the fork.
    2. Pull the air valve at the top and drain that by turning the fork upside down.
    3. Once empty, turn right side up and put in the measured amount of fluid required. (only a manual will tell you this amount for certain)
    4. Screw air valve back in and then cycle the forks. Add a few PSI of air if you need to stiffen them up a bit.

This worked on my XT350 forks which are of nearly the same vintage.

Sean :brow
  9. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DO NOT remove the bottom bolt unless you're rebuilding the forks. It's NOT a drain bolt. There may be a small bolt or screw on the back of each for a drain. If not out the top is fine. Loosen the caps on the top of the forks , not the air valves , and then loosen the triple clamp bolts to remove the forks. Take the caps off now and remove the springs. Turn the forks upside down to drain. Pump them to get the remains out. When you see what comes out you may want to flush them by partially filling , pumping and draining with mineral spirits. The refill is usually measured by the height of the oil from the top of the fork tube with the springs out and the forks compressed. If you can't find an oil height spec , you should be able to find a capacity. Try 20w fork oil.
    dancy, spokester and chevcamaro305 like this.