'82 Zook GS750Z

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by vegasphotog, Feb 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Am I wrong to fall in love with this ol' gal? Priced under $3K and looks clean as hell. Do you think it could make a 1700 trip from purchase to home or should I ship it? Anyone rolling one of these old GS750's?

Attached Files:

2. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks clean and if it runs as good as it looks a good deal.. I wouldn't hesitate riding that 1700 miles. I've ridden a lot of vintage bikes long distances with little to no problems.
    vegasphotog likes this.
  3. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Cool...thx Baldman...:clap:photog
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one for a few years. Other than setting the valves once, I never had to do anything to it. Mine was a 'yard find' and was in a bit of disarray when I got it. It was a hellofabike. I loved that bike.
    gs750.jpg
    vegasphotog likes this.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many miles on the bike?

If the rubber is new and the brake fluid replaced, check the fork seals and the shocks for leakage, check the chain and sprockets. The only other thing I'd check is the rubber manifolds between the head and the carbs. I put 87,000 miles on a 1980 GS750 (with the big rectangular headlight). It was a great bike. But after 87,000 miles and 19 years, all the top end gaskets were leaking. I decided that it was time to donate the bike and get a new one.
    If everything looks good, I'd probably ride it 1700 miles.

Weak point on the 16 valves 750s: the alternator stator. I had 3 or 4 go bad in the 18 years I had the bike.
    Johann likes this.
  6. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    Might be worth packing a multimeter and confirming the charging system is 100%. The standard pipes and airbox are a big bonus. How old are the tyres? If it runs well and chain/sprockets/tyres/fork seals are good then no reason it shouldn´t be capable of a long trip back. The problem is you won´t know until you see it in the flesh. Will the PO do an oil/filter change for you before you arrive, otherwise taking a basic service kit to make sure it has fresh oil would be a good idea.
    vegasphotog likes this.
  7. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    seat looks comfy and ujm ergos will be perfect, so no problem there. but cheaper overall, zero risk of breakdown, less time taken from your life, no airline hassles, etc, etc, etc to have it shipped. that'd be my choice.
    vegasphotog likes this.
  8. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Thx for the great scoop....the bike has 24K original miles.
  9. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a reference, I've put well over 150,000 miles on this 1977 Kawasaki KZ650. It has taken me all over the U.S., Canada and Mexico. I still ride it and wouldn't think twice of jumping on it today and riding it cross country. Just cause a bike is old doesn't mean it's not capable after all these were ridden everywhere back in the day.
    [​IMG]
  10. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    DUDE! That 650 gave me major morning wood.....amazing looking steed!
  11. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    vegasphotog likes this.
  12. MrBob

MrBob Undecided. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inner tubes can rot and fail suddenly, ask me how I know. I’d replace some or all of the rubber and if the battery is more than 5 years old, that too. 1700 miles is nothing to a decent bike otherwise.
    Johann likes this.
  13. Johann

Oddometer:
    That´s a good catch. I think there were some Suzukis that used tubeless tyres on those wheels (slightly different rim design?) but there were still a lot of models with tubes as well.
    vegasphotog likes this.
  14. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That GS is tubeless.
  15. Johann

Oddometer:
    It´s weird for sure, Suzuki show a tube in the parts fiche.....

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/1982/gs750t/front-wheel-model-z

But multiple other bikes use the same wheel, some shown tubes, (GS450) some are tubeless 1982/1983 seems to be the transition year between tubed/tubeless tyres for Suzukis. I think the GS850 was the first Suzuki to come with tubeless tyres as standard but I would need to double check.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/s...?ref=01859817cb8415450b1e406ff9f64091f9aba704

WHEEL (1.85-19) | BLACK Not Available
    54111-45300-291
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 1980 GS750 took tubes. Rim profile was supposedly wrong to hold a tubeless bead.
    Johann likes this.
  17. Johann

Oddometer:
    Doing some more digging it should have a marking on the rim that clearly says "tubeless approved" or "tube only" (or very similar. There were apparently two problems with using tubeless, the castings on some of the mag wheels were considered to be slightly porous so there could be a problem retaining air and the wheels marked "tubed only" didn´t have a safety bead retaining strip inside the rim. It looks like an oil thread type topic on GS forums, lots of different opinions. All the UJMs I had with tubeless tyres and mag wheels lost air to some extent, at the time it was just accepted as one of those things and you checked more often.
  18. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Well, I am not going to pursue this gal any longer....the messages from the seller were suspiciously cryptic via motorcycle trader. I.e. "Hey, I am interested in your bike, could I call you this weekend?" his reply = "yes". No phone number or anything. If he really was located in central wisconsin per his post, I googled around and it seems there are a few unscrupulous junk yard sellers with Ebay accounts, non name auctions, etc. Usually asshats like this really never plan on selling you anything, they just want to gather enough personal information for identity theft. NO THANKS BOZO. But, it did light my fire to go down to the Moto Guzzi dealer on a beautiful 70 degree sunny day today and almost pull the trigger on this. LOL v7-III-Carbon_main_image.jpg
    corsair4360 and aptbldr like this.