850 Forks

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by woodsguy, Mar 12, 2020.

1. woodsguy

woodsguy KTM Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Coming off a 2016 800GS I'm very happy with the 850 except the forks. Mine are either defective, lol or the forks just aren't very good. Ok, sort of ok on bigger hits and stuff. But washboard and little bumps, it's like they don't respond. Is this an issue or do I have a problem? Thinking of going to the aftermarket cartridge, just want to be sure that is needed and if it will help.
    bobwolff68 likes this.
  2. slawthecyclist

slawthecyclist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it is suprising that, for a premium machine, they are not adjustable, most reviewers (YouTube) say they're a bit vague on the road, but fairly good else where, I have the 850gsa and on road find them fine at my skill level, I am yet to go off road, only had it 2 weeks
  3. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I came from a sport bike, and the softness in the 850 forks took me a little by surprise, especially the brake dive. However as I have ridden it more and more off-road, I am actually quite impressed with the setup. Even though not adjustable like the rear, they always seem pretty good to me. Off road I do want a lot of travel and that plush feeling, so I appreciate them.
    So you are saying they don't move enough under small or moderate hits? If that's the case you can drain the oil and put in a lighter weight oil, to reduce that damping some and get more compliance. Easy and cheap fix.
    of course you would need to determine what weight oil is in there stock first, then change to a lower weight.
    woodsguy likes this.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Your weight and any payload figures on this as well so don't just decide it needs cartridges it may just need a different weight oil to suit your needs or perhaps different springs. Sure it's nice to have adjustments but how often are you going to adjust them? Once you get the ride you like you likely will never touch adjustments again unless you are racing and tuning for different track or terrain conditions.
    bobwolff68 likes this.
  5. woodsguy

woodsguy KTM Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Good point! I'm going to let a friend ride it for a different his views before spending money.

I'm just not sure they're right, never know if setup was done right. Bought bike new, no abs/cruise control. Couldn't figure out why, talked to shop manager over phone, he didn't have a clue. Got to talking on the 850 forums, guys mentioned front wheel being on backwards, it was! So abs decoder wasn't being read, so has me wondering on the rest of it.
  6. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Holy shit! That is a bit worrisome.
    I hope you have gone over the critical bolts to make sure they are torqued properly.
    Is there any way you can get your next service done at a different shop, and just ask them to look things over? It could help and give you peace of mind.
    bobwolff68 likes this.