850 gs owners. Happy or blah with purchase

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by baitdragger, Feb 24, 2020.

1. baitdragger

baitdragger n00b

Oddometer:
    Evening. Currently torn between the 850 and waiting for a Tiger 900

tonight I checked cycle trader and see 251 listings for 850 gs. Are you owners of the 850 happy or are some of you all selling or already sold your bike for various reasons?

triumph has a dealer close to me, bmw about an hour away

but I can find a low mileage 850 for almost $5k less than a new 900 tiger

I’ve ridden an 800 tiger and the 850 and liked both

a 2015 800gs....not so much

any advice you can offer me given my current quest is much appreciated

thanks and sorry for the newbie questions
  2. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    I’ve been getting direct mail discount offers from BMW on the 850 GS. Must not be selling very well. Don’t know why, seems like a decent bike. Considering the 750 or 850 GS for my wife’s next bike. A deeply discounted leftover model sounds good!
  3. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Filter those Cycle Trader numbers down a little further. Of the 251 listed only 19 are used, the rest are dealer listings for new bikes and only 2 are listed as private seller. Many of the 'used' bikes from dealers have mileage so low that I suspect they were demo bikes. My point being, it doesn't look like people are dumping them if that's what you were getting at.
    As for the 850 vs the new Tiger, the Tigers look really good on paper so we'll just have to wait and see when they start showing up in showrooms.
    woodsguy likes this.
  4. baitdragger

baitdragger n00b

Oddometer:
    yeah I had filtered that too. But most new 2019’s still have 2500-3000 discount from bmw, so something must be driving it

I guess my thoughts are strike while the deals are good for bmw or wait. I doubt my dealer sees a 900 tiger until April

Read this forum a lot. Does the 850 have the steering bearing failure or just the 800
    I am not savvy enough to work on the head bearing on anything but my mountain bike
  5. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m very happy with my 850gs. It’s quite capable off road and also tours well. I have an R1200gs overseas and I like that a lot for long road, easy gravel but it can’t go the places the 850 can, at least in my hands. What is the weight of the Tiger 900? The F850 has plenty of power so that’s not an issue for me. I also have all the joys of the mod cons like my 1200 has, such as quick shifter, ride modes and a good integrated Gps.

I took the 850 on a trail ride last week and went places I never could have managed on the big bike. Washed out rutted trails and loose hill climbs. Lots of fun!
  6. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    We have an 850 for myself and a 750 for my wife. 6,000 miles on them since Late March/April of last year.

My only gripes with my 850 was the seat and connectivity issues... I got the bike with the "Comfort Seat" which was anything but comfortable for me after about 50 miles. I did a Seat Concepts Foam and Cover kit and I am happy with it now. The connectivity issue is hit or miss having the helmet connect properly consistently to the bike which controls everything. I have the latest software update but still occasional issues with the bike forgetting the helmet BT connection to the helmet completely and the Sena not even showing up in the device que.
    I am confident that BMW will get this corrected eventually.

As far as the steering head bearings...
    BMW calls for check and re-torque in the 600 mile "Running In" service and occasionally during services after that. Running the bearings too loose can cause premature failure by allowing the bearings to pound against the races creating grooves and flat spots.
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I don't know if the steering / headset bearing failure issue exists on the 850, but I had the problem on my F650/F800GS.
    I can tell you a little about it. It didn't happen till about 70k miles ... had I been thinking about it harder I'd have replaced them (or just the bottom one) before I left on my big trip (see avatar).

Anyway the crappy Central American roads did them in ... but at least in my case it was not a "hard" failure ... as in "can't ride the bike any longer"...
    The steering got notch-y and mildly harder to control, but I rode it another 10K miles like that until I got home and changed the bearings. Annoying yes,
    trip-ending no.

Like you and @rcb78 figured out it does look like most of those are demos, but still a $5K discount on a bike with 25 or 50 miles on it is surprising to me even though it is Feb.
  8. woodsguy

woodsguy KTM Aficionado

Oddometer:
    "a 2015 800gs....not so much"
    Having a 2016 800GS from new and riding it 3 years and 18000+ miles, I just got the 850, IMO no comparison, 850 way improved across the board. Power, suspension, handling, and all the gadgets, improved. Probably not selling because they ain't cheap! African Twins can be had for 9-9500 new around here( prior years), hard to beat.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a 2013 Tiger 800XC since new and recently bought an F850GSA and couldn’t be happier. I really do prefer the GSA over the GS. In four years I have replaced two sets of steering head bearings so I don’t think it is the huge problem the interwebs make it out to be. And really only replaced on F650 stator.

But definitely have the steering stem bearing adjusted, not checked at run in. I checked mine and felt fine, but on the road to San Franciscito they loosened up. Shittiest road I have ever been on.
  10. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My guess is there's a little bit of marketing involved there. They know the Tiger is coming, and a discount on the model might be a way to get someone that is waiting for the Tiger to stop waiting and just buy the BMW.
  11. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    850GSA with 2500 miles checking in here. Love the bike. I'm coming from a Honda CB500X so the GSA feels much heavier at low speeds, but on the highway and the trails it's far superior. I got the low seat because I'm inseam-challenged, but it was really uncomfortable so I swapped it for a Sargent and don't regret the upgrade. I see myself keeping this bike for a long time to come! More updates this summer after I take it up to the Arctic Ocean and Alaska. That'll be the true test.
  12. diegosaenz

diegosaenz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the 850 is a terrific bike at a discounted price, at MSRP of 17K plus not so much, with that being said I'm also a BMW fanboy and I'd never buy a Triumph Tiger, my experience with them is that they ride like road bikes on and offroad and drink oil like they are a 1970s bike. Had the 800 4 years ago, my wife just got the 850 and its miles ahead of its predecessor.
  13. baitdragger

baitdragger n00b

Oddometer:
    Appreciate all the responses thus far

Seems like I can’t go wrong with either, which I figured. Just didn’t want to purchase something and then find out I should have waited for the new model

I already figure I will need to add engine guards, led lights and a bigger windshield possibly and GPS, so the cost savings on the GS will evaporate quickly. As it always seems to do:D
  14. diegosaenz

diegosaenz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You gotta remember too that the aftermarket offers are way larger for BMW than Triumph.
    Drunk_Uncle likes this.
  15. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    diegosaenz likes this.
  16. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes but you get to choose the farkles. I got a GS over the GSA so I could add what I want (bash plate, bark busters, led spots, lower engine guards, luggage rack for soft panniers, windshield etc). I’m still ahead of cost difference on the GSA. I’ll carry extra fuel only when needed so the weight will mostly be lower.