850GS clunking?!?!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by gabe.m, Jul 26, 2020.

1. gabe.m

gabe.m Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got the bike in spring, put a couple k miles on it, mostly on pavement, with portions of NEBDR and some other mild offroad.

Today, my friend tried to ride it, stopped after about 100feet, being scared that something's might be loose. He's been riding for 30 years, on and off, he's got about 6 dirt bikes, was riding today an 1190. I trust his experience, we did not find anything loose, I got back on it and just realized it's beed doing that since I purchased it. I rode the 1190, seemed very smooth, and nothing clunking while hitting a couple of bumps.

>>>>> Question: is the 850 supposed to clunk like a pile of wood and metal pieces when going off-road and over bumps? <<<<<

It reminds me of the old Ukranian bike I had back in Europe 20 years ago.
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    For gawds sake, zip tie that center stand super tight and see if that solves it or not. Report back.
  3. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the steering head bearings. Mine and it seems a few others I've heard were not properly adjusted at factory and or on pre-delivery.
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    OP, can you give any guesses as to where on the bike it's coming from? You left us wide open to just crazy guessing...
    You know your bike best. If you can't at least determine some possible parts to experiment with maybe it needs to go into a dealer.
    sieg likes this.
  5. dolomite

dolomite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This.