1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

890 Adventure/R/Rally Heated Grips

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Oh No!, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been able to find the part number for the the KTM heated grips for the 890 yet? The dealer installed the heated grips for the 790 on my 890 Rally before I picked it up, so I have the ugly grey round button installed on on the left side of my handlebars. A few folks have said that the 890 can control the grips from the TFT, so presumably there is a different part for the 890 heated grips. I just haven't been able to find the part number or determine anything with respect to when this part will become available.
  2. koekeroe

koekeroe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    scrolled tru the menu of the 890
    and scrolled to settings and there was a secsion called heating
    there you can set the heating for the heated grips and also the heated ergo seat
  3. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2021...venture-r-rally.1470293/page-27#post-41349390
  4. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right, but you still need to install the heated grips right? So what part number do you order to get those?
  5. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    The link in my post above is to a post in the "main" 890 thread with the P/N in it...
  6. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but isn’t that an EU part number? I can't find that part number when I put it into the US KTM parts dealers’ websites.
  7. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update: I provided the EU part number to my dealer and they said the part will not be available until February 2021. I don't know how they know that, but that is what they told me. Presumably they reached out to KTM to ask about it.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its not an EU part number...just a part number that is currently only available over seas...happens frequently...

Easy enough to order them from a British website....have done this for white plastics...EU style turn indicators and graphics kits....
    flamingm0e and koekeroe like this.
  9. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I just did a quick google search and the websites in the UK/EU I pulled up did not turn anything up using the part number in question.
  10. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    BISHOP likes this.
  11. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Crashthings

Crashthings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is one thing I’ve been looking at. The UK KTM site shows the integrated grips, the US site shows the ugly separate switch. Guess I will wait, hopefully it shows up over here. My TFT has the option for grips and seat.
  13. MN rider

MN rider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pic shows a bracket and controller, wonder why it can't be plugged into an existing harness for heated grips. If so, seems overcomplicated.
  14. GFT

GFT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Canada the heated grips are back ordered to June/July... to your point, I suppose the new set has a switch controlled by the TFT which gives power to the grips. Could have been included in the harness? Sure but they would have charged for it anyway on the bike price. Pierre is milking us.
  15. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dealer told me May, but based on what you just said I’ll probably be getting an update....
  16. MountainMan52

MountainMan52 n00b

Oddometer:
    Your correct the 790 kit or system with the handle bar mounted switch does not work on an 890advR or at least its not working on mine. I hooked a set up to acc2 and tested it last night. I got heat but no ability to control it and I kept getting HCU failure popping up on the main display. It does show your connected and the little grip symbol pops up on the main display like it should but it just goes to full bore heat with no adjustment then throws the HCU failure up. I'm looking to sell my kit for a 790 if anyone is looking also. Guess I have to wait for the other kit.
  17. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Did you wire the switch in place? To work with the bike switches you have to have the computer from the 890 kit
  18. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 790 grips with the handlebar switch work on my 890 Rally just fine.
  19. Fathead890R

Fathead890R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was told June/July. I will have them for this winter.
  20. ColoradoADV

ColoradoADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello. I just picked up my 890 r with the ugly 790 grey button for the grip heat. I was playing with my settings and saw that the grip and seat and pillion could be controlled through the TFT. Why do I have a grey button!? I turned on the grip and seat in the settings. I clicked “installed” if memory serves. I got the HCU heating control unit Failure right away. I deselected the grips and seats and that message went away. There are two places in the TFT to see the heated options. One to turn on and off and one to “Install” it. Make sure it’s deselected and should be good to go.
    Also, when using grey button, you hold for 3 seconds and it flashes. Another press confirms setting level and each subsequent press cycles through the temp settings. Works great.