8th annual Barlow or Bust....WEEK !! - May 16-27, 2019

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been kinda waitin for more Spring like weather before I posted our NW ADV's annual Barlow or Bust gig up, but Spring seems a long ways away from my place right now, so I need something Summer-like to lift my spirits. Barlow always lifts my spirits!!

For those n00bs out there that don't know what the Barlow Road is, shame on you! Some of our ancestors came to Oregon on the old Barlow Road over 170 years ago. On wagons. Except their stuff was on the wagons, and the people usually just walked the several thousand miles to get here on the Oregon Trail. Yep, tough fuggers they was then. You can't even imagine the real adventures these people went through to get here! Once the Oregon Trail hit The Dalles, these early adventurers had a big choice: Floating the mighty (scary) Columbia River, or continue overland on the gnarly Barlow Toll Road. The Barlow Wagon Road was created in 1846 as a private venture toll road alternate to the previously normal, but dangerous and expensive, way of travelling by boat/raft on the mighty Columbia River to get to the fertile Willamette Valley. Those travelling overland were known to wave 'Barlow or Bust" signs like the gold rushers did. The name kinda stuck for us ADVers 170 years later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But the BEST part about this old Barlow wagon road is...yep, that's right...we get to RIDE it today. There is an original 32 mile section of this old wagon road that is still ride/drive-able by fully street legal plated vehicles today. Dirtbikes and quads need not apply...although two great OHV areas are within 10-20 paved miles from camp for those that wanna ride OHV plateless. The rest of the Barlow Road has been mostly overcome by farms and lush forest many many decades ago, but the Barlow Road's deep scars still remain all through the forest, all the way to ZigZag, if you wanna find them.

This old Barlow wagon road is still in really bad (GOOD!) original wagon road condition, and has really not been improved at all in 170 years, unless you call the water diversion bars built across the road 'improvements'. We call them jumps. Most 4 wheeled vehicles travel this dirt only road today at 5-10 miles an hour max because it's so bad, and there'es very few 4-wheeled rigs out there, so we 2-wheeled ADVers usually have this great old bad road completely to ourselves and it becomes our ADV racetrack for the weekend.

Barlow Road quickly becomes most riders' FAVORITE dual-sport road for pure fun and skill building at reasonable speeds kept down by the skinny bad road with LOTSA turns and fun abrupt elevation changes. It's really pretty easy for anybody to ride on any bike, there's nothing overly steep or technical onnit, but it's the kinda great bad road that if you want more challenge, just go 5-10 mph faster. You can feel really FAST, going only 20-30 mph on this beauty of a great bad road.

No shit, it's that cool to ride today.
    YOU should come and camp & ride with us!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    drmiller100, Humunn, Squishy and 7 others like this.
  2. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    When:
    The weekend before, all damn week also, and Memorial Day weekend through Monday!!

Where:

Forest Creek Campground

Right Here.

[​IMG]

Forest Creek Campground
    Campground GPS Coords: 45.17979 -121.52461
    I'm gonna show up Wednesday evening, just before dark.

Rules: Anybody bringing a truck MUST bring LOTS of extra water, coolers and ice, and even food to share with those riders that have earned your help by riding into this event.

This campground is primitive, seven sites total that we all share, right smack on pretty Cedar Creek, and a (usually) clean outhouse vault. $12/night + $5 extra vehicle fee. This small primitive CG is closer to stealth camping but it's easy to locate and get to, with a toilet for convenience. This is a NICE small campground is right on Cedar Creek and right on Barlow Rd.

It is beautiful and quiet,...

...until we get there :happay
    [​IMG]
  3. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    So this year, we're gonna spend the whole week here at Forest Creek CG. The 60 mile radius around camp is what all the pictures are all about, Barlow Road is just a piece of all this Dual Sport action, just a few miles outta camp in any direction!

Past Barlow or Bust weekends...
    Some of us have been doing this for a long time now!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. IndianJoe

IndianJoe Little Lebowski Achiever

Oddometer:
    Jonesing.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Good.
    My posts were effective.
    Welcome to Barlow!!!!

<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">690 on the Barlow</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user6073316">Dan Kleinsmith</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    MotoCouch and BobcatSig like this.
  6. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    :clap
  7. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Your ^^^ first pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GenuineSquid and BobcatSig like this.
  8. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    I am ready!

For the snow here to melt, wonder when it's gonna be gone there...
  9. brokeassloser

brokeassloser I'll do it!!!

Oddometer:
    I’m gonna miss it this year. We’ll be out of town on other misadventures. Timing is everything I guess.
  10. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    Looks like I am a bust this year as well.
  11. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I'm not doing anything the next weekend,...Memorial weekend...let's do it again the following Sat/Sun/Monday!!
  12. brokeassloser

brokeassloser I'll do it!!!

Oddometer:
    Woot! Barlow part two. The sequel.
  13. unclehoot

unclehoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If enough will be there I'll come up the week after , I'm up for the fun of the group . You think We can get enough room for us F.F.'s on Memorial weekend ?? . So this will be the 25th - 27th right , same place as last year ? .
  14. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Single Track Beater

Oddometer:
    IN!!

Let's get weird
    Apple Jam likes this.
  15. DirtyTrails

DirtyTrails Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's on my calendar. Gonna try to make the Riley 290 followed by Barlow or Bust the following weekend. We'll see.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  16. One Fat Roach

One Fat Roach honey badger

Oddometer:
    What are you, silly? IN!!!!

(But it'll be getting there LATE Saturday til Mon/tues most likely)
    Apple Jam likes this.
  17. Corradokid135

Corradokid135 My KLR doesn't have a milk crate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I popped on for a monthly lurking & was happy to see this thread...…….IN! :freaky
    Apple Jam likes this.
  18. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Part two :nono Sequel? :nono
    ...again? :nono

more like,...STILL :nod

Uh, Sure, I guess I'll just stay there both weekends, and the whole week in between.

I think this just became Barlow WEEK :wings

Does all that ^^^ fit into your plans?
    Squishy and One Fat Roach like this.
  19. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    I'll take vacation for this, if work load allows.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  20. unclehoot

unclehoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK A J , so You say You'll keep Me company for the week ? , then I'm in for the week also , at least We will have a couple spots for Memorial Weekend . Hope that enough show up for week , We should be able to get some good riding in , I don't know shit other than " the road " up there .
    Apple Jam likes this.