8th Annual NMOHVA Rubber Chicken Ride

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by NMOHVA, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    I am planning a dual sport ride in NM for next spring and plan to use some of the RCR tracks. I have a question about the Burma Road out-and-back. It looks like (visible in GE. I have never been there.) that there is a road that heads south-southwest from Burma Road into an arroyo north of San Mateo Canyon then into Monticello Canyon.

I know the Monticello Box on the north end of Monticello Cyn is closed to public use. Do you know where that closure starts on the south end? I'm trying to determine if the road in Monticello Cyn is open to the public between San Mateo Cyn and the north end of where county road CO 142 ends. (A distance of about 4 miles.)

My OSM map shows county rd CO142 ends 7 miles north of the Monticello church then becomes "forest road".

Thanks
    EBDB
  2. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the road connecting the canyon to Burma Road leaves the canyon INSIDE of the area that is closed to public. The south boundary of the closure is just south of where that road connects to the road up the canyon. Hence, us showing Burma Road as an out and back. We used to run it as a loop through Monticello Canyon. It was another big loss when the canyon was closed to the public.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the Box was closed a few years ago, many people have shifted their riding to the area east of Springtime campground. There are several great routes thru there. They are a little on the difficult side and I would say not big bike friendly. I think some of them show up in the tracks Trailwerks posted for the RCR earlier in this thread. The Mt Withington Loop is great (and was even greater when it included the Box.)

And Burma rd is not a bad out-and-back route.
    duggram likes this.
  4. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Thank you. That is what I suspected.

Thanks. I'm considering some of the easier ones. We'd be on DRZ 400s.

I'm also thinking about going up West Red Canyon on the west side of Withington, which was included in Route 3 "The Full Monty" but in the downhill direction. I've been up road 330 on the east side, which was rocky on the climbs but not difficult. How does West Red Canyon compare to that?
  5. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is very similar albeit slightly more rocky. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need tracks or more route specific info/suggestions. There is GREAT riding in all directions from T or C. And some of it is available year-round. And other routes are available pretty early in the spring. Mt. Withington is not one of those as it tops out at 10k feet and is seeing lots of moisture this winter already.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lower part of West Red Canyon is really nice. Then there is a long climb to the top. It is a little rocky and a little steep but not really hard. But having said that I and others seem to find it a little annoying going down for some reason. I don't believe I have ever ridden up it.

The old road to the top used to run in the next canyon north. It was a lot more fun. We apparently mistakenly used to call that West Red Canyon. But the road is long gone.
    I managed to locate where the old road enters the new one a few years ago. It is nearly imperceptible and overgrown with small trees.
  7. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Thanks again trailwerks and wbbnm for the info. Like you said, lots of riding in the area so lots to consider. I prefer to ride up unfamiliar roads. I know I can always turn around, whereas the opposite is not always true!