8th Annual NMOHVA Rubber Chicken Ride

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by NMOHVA, Aug 1, 2019.

1. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    it sounds like the Desert view only had 2 or 3 rooms left
  2. Xcelite

Xcelite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In regards to bigger bikes showing up, I'll be there on my 950 Adventure S. We'll just have to see how froggy I feel as to whether i'll stick to easier routes or try to keep up with the 450-700 crowd.
  3. OLdUgly

OLdUgly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do recall a run up Mt. Whittington and it was a great ride. The TorC area has an amazing variety of rides for every experience level. I am happy that folks add dual sport fun to everything else that part of New Mexico has to offer. My old KLR is a perfect fishing and camping vehicle until I become too old and feeble to hold it up. I recall a nice run down a canyon with numerous water crossings that has been closed in later years near Monticello. Anyway, hope everyone has fun and lets don't make the orthopedic surgeons too much wealthier this year.
    duggram likes this.
  4. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    That would be this
    [​IMG]
    Assfault, Sledred, Blakebird and 3 others like this.
  5. OLdUgly

OLdUgly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think thats it. Its where the pic on my profile was taken.
  6. NMOHVA

NMOHVA n00b

Oddometer:
  7. GrayHawk915

GrayHawk915 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm In.....let's see where an African Twin can go.
  8. WFO1

WFO1 Living the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I have a Texas OHV sticker will that suffice in NM?
  9. advrider76

advrider76 WTF!!! Why not?

Oddometer:
    If anyone is planning on staying in an RV for the Rubber Chicken a friend of mine recently opened their RV park downtown. They have spots for up to 35’ trailers and they are bike riders as well. Hope you will support them while you are down here.

https://www.sunnyvilletrailercourt.com/
    ridenm likes this.
  10. advrider76

Oddometer:
    As of right now it will in NM. You will need to trailer to the trails to be legal as the bike has to be plated to be on city and county roads.
  11. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent them an inquiry.
    I have ridden in that area for years and it is some of the best.
    Also, great riding, and mountain biking around Silver City.
    Sledred likes this.
  12. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
  13. advrider76

Oddometer:

Yes you can ride an OHV on city streets with a On Road Registration and Sticker. That was a long hard battle that we won here this year. It allows you on all city streets and they are legal in Elephant Butte as well, it does not allow on state highways or on Main, Broadway, Date, or the east side of 3rd street (mainly on the downtown loop). If you ride politely the cops usually won’t mess with you, just be cool .
    chilejack likes this.
  14. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like I'm not making the Chicken this year - hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend at the event!!! Definitely will miss the great rides and TorC brewery get together....
  15. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    We'll miss you too, Tom. It has been too long! Slip over here some non-event weekend?
    Sledred likes this.
  16. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    The statute only allows ATVs and ROVs (aka side-by-sides), and only in those locales that pass an ordinance or resolution allowing paved road use in their jurisdictions. Off-highway motorcycles (dirt bikes) are not included in the paved road use statute,and are not paved road legal anywhere in the state, even though some MVDs have been selling paved road use plates to dirt bike owners when they purchase their OHV registrations. Street-legal dual purpose bikes are not affected by the statute, and can continue to travel anywhere cars and trucks can legally go, plus they can access NM single-track OHV routes without purchasing an OHV registration - at least for now.
  17. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Is there an official source for this info.? The articles I read just said OHV which is a broad category and would include motorcycles.
  18. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    The OHV Act in 66-3-1001.1 defines four types of OHVs: ATVs, off-highway motorcycles, recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs), and snowmobiles. 66-3-1011.C states:
    The whole sordid tale of how this came about is far too long to relate here. The ironic thing is that the state senator responsible for this clusterf**k was pandering to his agricultural business constituency, who were exempt from the provisions of the OHV Act anyway.
  19. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wednesday we rode Chloride Creek and it doesn't look like any new trail damage from the recent rains. The RCR is going to be fun. We did see this character on the side of the road.

Long Horn.png

Best news for me is that yesterday I found the way around the flooded mud flats that block the east side river trail. Important because once you get past the flats it opens up a lot more riding. At first I took the trail that led into the flats which were that super sticky kind of NM mud. I stopped just in time to avoid sure disaster.

IMG_0741.jpg

I went back to where the trail forks but didn't think I could get through. I saw some 4 wheel tracks and kept trying some of their work. Eventually I ran out of tracks but kept going to the open green areas and ended up at the rocky uphill south of the mud flats. From here the trail looked about the same as the last time I rode over it. I believe the trail is about 20 miles long from T or C to the county roads it leads to. If you go back to last years RCR thread there are a lot of tracks with descriptions that trailwerks post. From those tracks you can see why this trail is useful. The pic below is from the trail south of the mud flats where you start to climb out IMG_0742.jpg

The county roads that this trail leads to are freshly graded and fast. Some day I'd like to explore those trails up at the dirt in front of those rocks. There are quite a few of those trails that end up no where IMG_0743.jpg
  20. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the wurst RCR news so far this year. If I can help you make a trip over to T or C some time please let me know.
    Sledred likes this.