8th Annual NMOHVA Rubber Chicken Ride

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by NMOHVA, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doug - I'm retiring at the end of November so will have plenty of time to come over and explore after that. I just have too many things going on right now but, damn, the weather makes it look like it will be a fun RCR with all the trail modifications.....
    duggram likes this.
  2. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    I read that, I don't see any mention that OHV refers only to 4-wheelers.
  3. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    The statute only allows for “recreational off-highway vehicles” or ATVs, and they have specific definitions that don’t include motorcycles.
  4. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys might want to search FB on this. It was hashed over for quite awhile. Or, maybe it was on here. I see some of the same comments being repeated.
  5. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Here is the referenced statute,
    New Mexico Statutes Chapter 66. Motor Vehicles § 66-3-1001.1. Definitions:

E. “off-highway motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle designed by the manufacturer for operation exclusively off the highway or road and includes:

(1) “all-terrain vehicle”, which means a motor vehicle fifty inches or less in width, having an unladen dry weight of one thousand pounds or less, traveling on three or more low-pressure tires and having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebar-type steering control;

(2) “off-highway motorcycle”, which means a motor vehicle traveling on not more than two tires and having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and that has handlebar-type steering control;

and # 5 would seem to specifically include them:
    (5) by rule of the department, any other vehicles that may enter the market that fit the general profile of vehicles operated off the highway for recreational purposes;

Motorcycles are included in the definition of "off-highway motor vehicle"Off-Highway Motor Vehicles. I see no place where they have been excluded, am I missing that part?
    You can read all 12 pages of the statute here:
    http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/dow...Mexico-OHV-Act-Summary-Unofficial-09_2017.pdf
    This pre-dates the 2017 ruling allowing OHVs on paved road as approved by the local entity. I haven't found the final regulation but here is a synopsis:

Senate Bill 51, sponsored by state Sen. Steven Neville, allows OHVs to be used on paved roads designated by city or state government officials, provided that the vehicle is equipped with legal headlights, taillights, mirrors and mufflers. OHVs that are driven on paved public roads also must have special license plates, issued by the Motor Vehicle Department for $7.

No exclusion of motorcycles that I can find.
  6. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    The reason I asked about T or C's status on paved road operation was to determine the necessity of trucking vehicles to the trailhead. I would appear that any OHV (including MCs) can be ridden/driven to the trailhead as long as they have the necessary headlight, tailight, horn, muffler and mirrors, don't exceed 55mph, don't enter limited access highways (i.e. freeways) and have the appropriate MVD plate for on-road use.
  7. ridenm

Oddometer:
    I work for the department. I’m the OHV education coordinator. The department has made no rule concerning the fifth category of OHVs, though there is some very early chatter about new vehicles on the market that don’t meet the definition of a “recreational off-highway vehicle” such as the new Mahindra Jeep clone.
    We review each local ordinance as we learn about it, and put a copy on our Laws and Rules webpage. No ordinance includes off-highway motorcycles - they typically cut and paste from 66-3-1011.C which specifically allows only ATVs and ROVs as defined by statute.
    What local law enforcement agencies may choose to do has little relation to statute, but the law is specific - ATVs and ROVs only on paved roads.
  8. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Is this the statute?
    https://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/2016/chapter-66/article-3/part-11/section-66-3-1011

If so where is the language excluding MCs and specifying only ATVs and ROVs? I know I'm playing devil's advocate here but I would like to see the specific statute excluding MCs, is that some legal eagle's interpretation? If so the NMOHVA should be contesting it. The very title of the organization nmOHVa includes MCs as OHVs. The 4-wheelers pose a much greater hazard on paved roads than MCs do. An off-road MC is pretty much the same as an on-road MC when lights, etc. are added.
  9. ridenm

Oddometer:
    Once again, it’s 66-3-1011.C. It doesn’t specifically exclude OHMs, it only permits ATVs and ROVs. 66-3-1011.A(2) does that.
    I’m not going to argue the merits of one type of OHV over another. And this will be my last post on the subject in this thread. I will note however that less than 24 hours after the statute was enacted, the first fatality occurred when a guy rolled his ROV out by Grants. He was operating illegally on a state road with no helmet and no seatbelt.
  10. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever or wherever you decide to ride, (I know it shouldn't need to be said) however, please be respectful to the locals in town and LEO if you encounter them.
    We have a lot of retired folk (read old and slow) in ToC and in the downtown area crosswalks are mere suggestions.......
    Also please go easy on the throttle around town, ToC is still coming to terms with allowing OHVs on the local streets and the last thing we need is to give the opposition to the OHV ordinance ammunition for a repeal.
    Have fun but please be respectful of the locals in the area.
    ToC has been welcoming OHVs, dirt bikes and street bikes for a long time and the Chicken ride will be the first large group to ride under the OHV ordinance.
    Sledred, Blakebird, randingo and 2 others like this.
  11. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Can you provide a link to that section? I only found this:

2006 New Mexico Statutes - 66-3-1011 — Operation on streets or highways; prohibited areas.
    66-3-1011. Operation on streets or highways; prohibited areas.

A. A person shall not operate an off-highway motor vehicle on any:

(1) limited access highway or freeway at any time; or

(2) any paved street or highway except as provided in Subsection B of this section.
    This is from 2006 and apparently is superceded by Senate Bill 51 as above.
  12. ridenm

Oddometer:
    All NM statutes can be found at https://www.nmcompcomm.us/.
  13. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    Took the 4 wheeler up to Winston and Chloride this afternoon. Spoke to the folks at the general store in Winston, they have been having some issues with quads and side by sides throwing litter and racing down the street between Winston and Chloride. When i mentioned the upcoming ride they said they were happy to see the bikes, so stop in and say hey or grab a bite to eat an continue to show dirt bikers are considerate. Speaking of food there are now two places to eat in Chloride. There is a food truck on the right side of the road just past the mine turnoff and there is the Chloride Bank Cafe across from the museum.
    Blakebird, Sledred, Ditch and 2 others like this.
  14. ridenm

Oddometer:
    Were there lots of hunters?
  15. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    Not a single one. Did see a group of 6 quads coming down the trail.
  16. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    speaking of beating topics completely to death
    who has their capacitor's ready for this ride
    [​IMG]
    duggram, Sl33p3 and NMTrailboss like this.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Never leave home without it, at least on the 500 anyway :D
  18. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm packing oil, haven't decided which kind yet.
    selaznog and CaptRick like this.
  19. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
    Coming from out of state, can somebody suggest which MVUMS would likely be used so that I can download them now? Thx!!
  20. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer: