8th Annual NMOHVA Rubber Chicken Ride

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by NMOHVA, Aug 1, 2019.

1. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The main forest MVUM would be the Cibola NF Magdelena Ranger District. Looks like you might have to download front and back separately.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r3/maps-pubs/?width=full&cid=FSEPRD585904

Some of the rides are in the Gila NF. There is a link to their MVUMs on the page above. I don't believe I saw anything relevant.

Most of the riding is on BLM land. There might be some Travel Management Maps for these areas. I can't remember ever seeing one. Might be the Socorro District.
    randingo likes this.
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, it going to be cool with 100 bikes signed up!
    NMTrailboss and ridenm like this.
  5. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has started to get nice and cool in the evenings and the heat of the day has broken.
    Fall weather is hitting ToC should be perfect riding weather!
    No dam at Rotary Park yet but I figure it will be happening pretty soon.....
    Ditch and Blakebird like this.
  6. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im coming from out of state. Is there a place I can download the gps routes ? Just would like to have them loaded incase I need to find my way around. Marc
  7. randingo

randingo Voted "Class Lounger"

Oddometer:
  8. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    The some of those tracks were fun to scout, and challenging. The description of the routes referenced above are pretty good. Keep in mind the rains we are having can "change" the nature of some, relative to their descriptions. The best advice is ride within you sight line. I have been unpleasantly surprised by washout, as have others.
    Fortunately we have a few TorC local riders, who will hopefully give us some current information.
    ZiaThunder and randingo like this.
  9. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    Thanks Randingo, sorry didn't see the earlier post. trying to decide which route to take, Kansas doesn't have any or very little BLM land to ride. I'll be on a XT 225, don't want to do an easy ride, but some challenging things would be cool for a middle aged rider, 54 yrs old here.
  10. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    The XT225 would be perfect. A really fun, beautiful, fairly easy ride is Chloride Creek, you end up crossing the continental divide, and have some high alpine forest. A more challenging ride would be Palomas Gap, high desert with some significant exposure (deep drop off, if you screw up).
    Of course difficulty is relative to the skill of the rider. A ride is only as hard as its worst part. To my skill level, Palomas is hard and Chloride is easy. But then I am an old fart not very skilled, who started riding approaching 60.
  11. Pixturethis

Oddometer:
    Thanks Capsize. I plan on riding Friday through Sunday so I hope I can do both plus some more. really looking forward to this ride, I’ve been trying to go for the last 2 years. Glad I’m finally going to make it.
  12. WFO1

WFO1 Living the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm coming from Texas and bringing the 500 and 1290. Both plated here in Texas. I paid for a NMOHA sticker and also have valid Texas OHV stickers on bikes.
    Will there be opportunities to hook up with riders since I have Zero knowledge of NM tracks? Would like to do some challenging single track on the 500 if possible.
    Can I assume the tracks for 2018 are the same ones used for the 2019 ride? Really looks like this is going to be a HOOT!
  13. LC4Dakar

LC4Dakar Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everyone meets at the Sunrise Grill around 8 AM and picks the group and route they want to go on.
    Blakebird likes this.
  14. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode Chloride Canyon yesterday. Just a little bit of water back there. Maybe half a dozen puddles of appreciable size. Some slippery but nothing to get bogged down in. Encountered 3 blowdowns. First with an easy bypass. Second with a chainsaw drive-thru modification. The third was left halfway across the road but passable. Colors are starting to change. A couple of patches of something bright red that really stood out in the sun. It's cooling down. Great time to ride. PS: the parking area across from the Winston store, is infested with goatheads. Unless a concerted effort is made at removal, they'll get in your tires, boots, car and you'll track them all over. I found three the hard way in my bedroom hallway when I got up during the night. Now how does that happen?
    ridenm and Xcelite like this.
  15. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    Well I spoke with the BOR this morning and the dirt dam at Rotary Park is scheduled to be put in place this week.
    If all goes as planned the crossing will be open for the RCR.
    Makes for quicker access to Palomas Gap.
    Sl33p3, Jthewood and Blakebird like this.
  16. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    Dam......
    Looks like they started already!
    IMG_6104.jpg
    Looking forward to having this crossing in place
    Blakebird likes this.
  17. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And it's got a jump too! Kewl!
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where roughly or better exactly is this crossing?
  19. CaptRick

Oddometer:
  20. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: