8th Annual NMOHVA Rubber Chicken Ride

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by NMOHVA, Aug 1, 2019.

1. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost done.....
    IMG_6144.jpg
    Sledred and Blakebird like this.
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    I can clear that :jack
    Blakebird likes this.
  3. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just know I'm going to get stuck in the mud going around all that dirt they piled up!

What, no culvert? Is flow not a concern or is that a later stage in the project?
  4. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    No culvert, the purpose is to limit flow so the hot springs hydrostatic pressure is maintained, so I have been told....
    In any case the mud makes for great photo ops.......
  5. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    Big change in water levels already
    IMG_6165.jpg
    I crossed over in my Trooper at the next crossing west of the park crossing
    Water was about a foot in the middle
    Adjustments.jpg
    Sledred, chilejack and NMTrailboss like this.
  6. WFO1

WFO1 Living the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone wanting to hit track 20 on Friday or Sat morning and try and complete it? I am assuming that is the most challenging from what I read? Any input appreciated.
  7. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Funny you don't hear anything from the "Friends of Everything" countering completely damming the river for strictly commercial reasons. Or did they and I just missed it? And I guess downstream irrigation requirements all the way to Brownsville, have been met for the year?
  8. Pixturethis

Pixturethis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d like to try, but at 119 miles and a hard ride, that I can see, it would take a day of riding, at least for me.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    It's dry most of the time in Las Cruces, I think this last year was the exception. If Texas is relying on that water they've got to be pretty thirsty.
  10. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    They sculpt a low spot in the center for water to flow over - it doesn't completely stem the flow.
  11. CaptRick

Oddometer:
    And NM has fulfilled the required flow to Texas, its all worked out with the BOR and monitored closley
    Sledred likes this.
  12. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    There have been several similar questions...and the simple answer is "Yes" but with some exceptions due to Ma Nature, a recent change in access on one route, and a few "new" offerings this year. We will be starting our "official" pre-rides this weekend and hope to have the 2019 tracks updated about a week prior to the event.
    Osprey! and Sledred like this.
  13. trailwerks

Oddometer:
    You are correct. The Sufferfest is a compilation of some of the harder route segments available during the event. The 2018 Sufferfest route included one segment that is no longer available to the public. I will be updating the route and will post when it is finalized. BTW.....no one has yet to complete the annual Sufferfest
  14. WFO1

WFO1 Living the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I can't wait to give this a try!
  15. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    what is sufferfest?
  16. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark said two posts above yours, "The Sufferfest is a compilation of some of the harder route segments available during the event. "

Hope that helps.
  17. sanderjavant

sanderjavant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Starting on post 70 -https://advrider.com/f/threads/time-to-get-lucky-at-nmohvas-7th-annual-rubber-chicken-ride.1326475/page-4

Route 20 – The 2018 RCR Sufferfest: ~119 miles. Rating: The Kitchen Sink - Easier to Difficult – We first offered this by request last year and then no one finished the whole enchilada. What is the Desert Sufferfest? A taxing combination that links most of the harder and difficult loop options east of the river into one never-ending endurance festival. We have further refined and tweaked the 2018 edition by shortening the loop and including more options to bail back out to the highway… Will anyone ride it in one day? We even included an optional gas/food stop in Hatch about midway. Oh, and the hardest sections are toward the end of the day. Choose carefully and plan ahead. Have fun and stay safe.
  18. trailwerks

Oddometer:
    NMTrailboss and I started the process of pre-riding some of the Rubber Chicken Ride routes this weekend. We focused on "new" riding opportunities and one re-route required by a private land closure since last year. We were 4 for 4, completing all of the routes we targeted over the last two days. All of our riding was on the east side of the river where the Chihuahua desert dominates. Next weekend, we will ride the west side which is more mountainous.

On a beautiful October weekend in Truth or Consequences, pre-riding RCR trails does not suck. Here are a few photos to help keep you anticipating the 2019 event:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, some of the routes are a little primitive:
    T or C-Mine Tank-McLeod Hills-North Exit-Ash Canyon Explore DS Trip  Oct. 12-14, 2019 (53)shrink.jpg

And some are easier....and all are very scenic:
    DS Trip  Oct. 12-14, 2019 (133)shrink.jpg

We are calling this new segment "The Gullet" as in "down the gullet!":
    Explore DS Trip  Oct. 12-14, 2019 (159)shrink.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Explore DS Trip  Oct. 12-14, 2019 (181)shrink.jpg
    Explore DS Trip  Oct. 12-14, 2019 (188)shrink.jpg

We included Palomas Gap which needed a new "thru-route" to the north after some private land was closed off.
    [​IMG]
    Explore DS Trip  Oct. 12-14, 2019 (236)shrink.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am working on the suggested routes for posting in this thread and should have them up later this week. We are looking forward to seeing all of you down in T or C in two weeks!
  19. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I crossed the Rio Grande river but not at my normal crossing at Rotary Park now that the dirt dam at the park is in place. New to me this year the road down to the river is blocked with rocks, they obviously don't want crossing to happen here. So I went down river to another place that is used for crossing when the dirt dam is in place. But that water was unexpectedly deep. It had to be at least two feet deep. My arms got splashed. Quite a surprise but good to know I can make it through water that deep. It will be interesting for the RCR. Maybe no short cut to the east river trail this year.
    Pixturethis likes this.
  20. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Duggram, what? No pics of you taking your Saturday bath?