1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

9000km in Aus, Sydney to the tropics and back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by atgreg, Aug 26, 2008.

1. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    My trip to the Offcenter Rally (OCR).

The OCR is a gettogether of riders in outback Oz, it happens every 2nd year and the location changes every time. It's always a hoot and a great excuse to get out into countyside for some great riding. The 08 OCR was to be held at Lorella Springs, http://www.lorellasprings.com/ , on the western side of the Gulf in tropical nth oz and about 4000km from my home in Sydney.

[​IMG]

I'd been planning, preparing and looking forward to the trip for about a year and darn me but 10 days before I left I slipped a disc in me back, some rest, some physio and a lot of drugs and come departure day I was ready if still a bit stiff and sore in the back.

My trusty Africa twin was ready;
    CR250 USD forks fitted - check
    steering damper fitted - check
    bumtank fitted - check
    new tyres, chain, sprockets, airfilter - check
    lets hit the road
    [​IMG]
  2. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    It sounds as if you are going to have a good time, have fun, be safe, and post some pic's!:clap
  3. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    I headed straight west over the mountains, bloody freezing, thats the problem with outback trips, winter is the season for it but the transports to get there are a pain. The 1st day and a half were a tar transport and seeing how my back was holding up, all good so when I got to nyngan it was time to hit the dirt finally and take the back way to Byrock.

[​IMG]

it always takes me a few km to get my dirt legs back so I was a bit cautious at 1st but slowly got into it, the road was mostly good gravel with odd small lose section.

[​IMG]

The sun disapeared and clouds came scudding in threateningly, so i raced em to get back on the tar at Byrock. Outback dirt turns to grease with not much rain so it's a worry.

[​IMG]

I made it to byrock just as the heavens opened, whew, it pissed down for 30 mins and then the sun came out again.

[​IMG]

I made it to nth Bourke for my 2nd night
  4. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Next was heading for Hungerford where i was meeting some other riders, some sand, some rocks, a bit of water , not a bad ride;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Past the old Fords Bridge Hotel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Xander

Xander always in the shadows

Oddometer:
    Hey Greg,
    Once again i am seriously jealous, I cant wait to get home and do some of these rides! but for now WE WANT MORE PICKS!!!
    :freaky:1drink:1drink
    Cheers mate
    Xander
  7. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Brett and his KTM 625 were already there;

[​IMG]

Norm and the Dr rolled in later in the arvo, the 3 musketeers were complete.

[​IMG]

Hungerford is a tiny place, just a pub and a couple of other buildings, just over the border in Queensland, also just over the Dingo fence, the Dingo fence built to keep wild dogs out of southern NSW is longer than the Great Wall of China at 5300km long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

$10 for a bed in the pubs bunkhouse, bargain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A great sunset

[​IMG]

while we were having a drink in the bar, the publican plopped a tray of fresh caught and cooked local yabbies on the bar and told us to go for it, we didn't have to be told twice:freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

travelling through the bush always reinforces my faith in people

A great but cold night at the pub was had

[​IMG]
  8. Pockethead

Pockethead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome! I wish my local had a bunkhouse :rofl
  9. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to more:clap
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Simply awesome Greg... your comments about travelling through the bush and the people you meet along the way...inspiring! That's outback Australia in a nutshell! :thumb
  11. Russ

Russ Let's ride.

Oddometer:
    Great start Greg, looking forward to more.. much more.:thumb :thumb :thumb
    I put some pics up on my site from the weekend there are a few good ones of the AT outside the shearers shed.
    Russ
  12. choccoloco

choccoloco Cabin Fever....

Oddometer:
    Great so far, keep it coming

:lurk
  13. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    It was great open fast dirt to Thargomindah

[​IMG]

then a great track through Norley station to Toompine, it had a bit of everything, gravel, blacksoil,dry creekbeds and 1 with water, an excellent ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toompine i just a pub, (are you getting a theme in outback Oz ??:evil ) with some very friendly locals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few hundred km of tar unfortuneately through Quilpey as we headed towards Windorah and raced the setting sun west, eventually we pulled off the road and camped in a floodplain with some grass and plenty of wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Curryinahurry

Curryinahurry Born 2 Ride

Oddometer:
    Great Report Greg!!:clap Keep it coming..... :D

Interesting hand warmers on Bretts KTM....

Bala
  15. Shakey!

Shakey! Get a big black dog up ya!

Oddometer:
    All good so far.......:lurk :lurk
  16. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    back on the road and into Windorah for a feed and some fuel

[​IMG]

Solar power

[​IMG]

back on the dirt and the country slowly changed to gibber country

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

man it's harsh country, i cant imagine the pioneers and explorers out here in summer opening up the country last century, it's intimidating enough with modern transport and backup.

[​IMG]

<object width=425 height=318><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008080703.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT0zNTg1OTAyODEmaz1ySmY2UyZhPTU3OTE3MjhfRmRvQUYmdT1hdGdyZWcmZT0x" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008080703.swf" flashVars="s=aT0zNTg1OTAyODEmaz1ySmY2UyZhPTU3OTE3MjhfRmRvQUYmdT1hdGdyZWcmZT0x" width=425 height=318 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

They have strange cows out here, they eat rocks :scratch

[​IMG]
  17. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Keep them photos coming Greg.. :clap
  18. ned

ned Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that' s simply: horrible!!!
    that trail, that light, that sky...
    I hate you:cry
  19. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    norm & brett wanted to head through Diamantina national park, it needed 600km fuel range, i only had 500km range so when we got to the turnoff after transferring fuel and saying our goodbyes the oys turned nth and I kept heading west for Bedourie, we planned to meet up at boulia the next day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 1km after leaving the boys, while having a drink I hit a big washout, didn't feel to bad then I noticed something flapping, it was my guard, torn the mounts off on 1 side, I think it might have touched the crashbar mounts. I originally mounted it quite high but it touched the crashbar mount on big hits so I lowered it and did some rough tracks and no more touching so I thought it was OK. Guess I'll have to take the springs out and fully compress the forks to check. This happened 5 days out of sydney, my vapour sensor was mounted to the guard so I had no speedo for 3 weeks or so. fun, fun, fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bugger, oh well, these things happen :tough

250km along to Bedourie, I dont know about anyone else but riding by myself outback does weird things to my head, even though Ive ridden out there a lot whenever im on these roads alone I start imagining all sorts of stuff, must be the BIG skies or something.

[​IMG]

I was relieved when i got there and booked into the pub and had a wander around town

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    met the boys at Boulia about lunch time, i decided to head straight for Mt isa to try and at least get some fork guards while they went and played in the hills near Duchess.

got to Mt isa and no fork guards,,bugger !!. Anyway I made my own

[​IMG]

I cant believe they lasted the 7000km to home:thumbup

The boys rocked in and we got a cabin, did some bike maintanance

[​IMG]

Murray and his 1200 Adventure joined us as well so now it was the 4 musketeers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stage 1 was over and the next day the fun would really start heading nth for Lawn hill and lorella springs