938 Miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway (mostly pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rockinrog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    MYUMPH likes this.
  2. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    MYUMPH likes this.
  3. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. From my home in Great Falls, VA to Asheville. As someone earlier noted, this is one of the years with major construction going on. 115 miles of the parkway is being destroyed by the chip sealing process. From Linville Falls, VA area all the way to just north of Mt. Michelle. Moreover, major sections have deep gravel on it. 20 miles north and south of Little Switzerland had enough of that small gravel on it that it was piling up between tire tracks.

So when I got home I did some digging around to find out what's going on.

Article about 2019 Blue Ridge Parkway major repaving:

https://www.smliv.com/blog/repaving-scheduled-on-sections-of-the-blue-ridge-parkway/

The process….or at least what I saw…is best described as “ Pavement Preservation .” Crazy concept of placing tiny chips of sharp granite gravel on GOOD sections of the parkway to preserve it. Since the Blue Ridge Parkway is in a hole ( deficit ) of $500 million dollars for improvements and only receives about $7 - $10 million annually in federal funding, they keep slapping bandaids on the roads in hopes that someday they will receive sufficient funding. Sure looks like chip sealing.

More in this article:

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/pavementpreservation.htm

This article describes this crazy process of chip sealing pavement preservation process. The crazy process is very harsh on tires. The chips are like small arrow heads. They don’t lay flat. Moreover, your tires will feel like rolling over gravel.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/learn/news/pavement-preservation-release.htm

Good video on chip sealing:

I pulled over to grab some of the small pieces of sharp granite gravel to give you a sense of size.
    PjWASyEFS0e7FOwSerEE+g.jpg

Unlike normal asphalt, the final chip sealing process looks a lot less compacted and flat. Gravel pieces pointing up in every direction.
    OBkb+FtZRziJnETgpLvGBQ.jpg

Some of the pieces of gravel look like small arrow heads.
    Ts1GhBkeQPOLRQMlZsshyg.jpg YpBetx6ESmepcUkXVstgqw.jpg
    tastroman likes this.
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more photos of my recent trip down Blue Ridge Parkway MhXgkCTeQoORvkNDJOL1yw.jpg

My favorite lunch spot around Mile Post (MP) 20.
    q2ejJcfqRCuWQQlBh3LU0g.jpg

Dinner at El Charro in Floyd, VA.
    NDwOCS8XT5GFAq+dLeRxzw.jpg

Downtown Floyd.
    I7+FjOh+QcWmCYsIqwc4bg.jpg

Floyd Country Store and Cafe.
    sTtF1g0RSLqaUgYc+sPTNA.jpg

ME8mDL93TFqY0QABlgLuNA.jpg mA+H8IJqQZqColLSVAYOLQ.jpg vaCahzkwRbelMBVlBxg5Aw.jpg wwT2oVmqTnigTR+3KY7Dwg.jpg

My odometer just rolled over 40K miles. Looks like I'll need a new rear brake rotor and tire. Oh and oil change.
    XAwyGI7KT3mWi8NdmUq2sA.jpg
    tjzondrz, MYUMPH, rockinrog and 2 others like this.
  5. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Mount Mitchell.
    iEJ%KtWlS2+oO1xUkvZrjA.jpg m4c+RJH9Rx2gUvCZS+2CSA.jpg SqTl1NAlRHq8KrsvqLJC2A.jpg

Music center on parkway. Near Galax, VA. You can often find a group playing bluegrass music.
    %szcC32pQae1yNrbyGexoQ.jpg
  6. Ebeo1

Ebeo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like a fall run down the BRP. But I keep checking the national park services real time closure. Looks like that cheap sealing process is still going on.
  8. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The chip seal is a mess, I had planned to ride the whole parkway into Skyline drive but had to bail after riding in loose gravel and getting tar all over the FJR. What a crying shame they are destroying such a beautiful road over money while they waste it on such silly things...
  9. Bill Sebastian

Bill Sebastian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree! I live only17 miles from BRP, Allegheny County. I rode up there over a month ago, then rode 30mph on that mess over to highway 16 and came home. Haven’t been back since. I normally go every couple of weeks in summer and fall. Really hate this. I’m also a cyclist and can assure you I’ll stay off that wreck trap on my bicycle.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very sad with the chip seal strategy on BRP. The BRP is one of my favorite rides.

Guys, could you post around what milepost you're running into renovation. At least we can keep track what areas are complete and what areas are active chip seal event.
  11. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    I don't know. After watching the BRP documentary tonight I wonder if it will turn into the SLD extension.
  12. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ebeo1. My plan is to head down the week of October 14th.
  13. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those worried about the chip seal. The NPS site says they will stop it for the month of October.

2019 Pavement Preservation Projects: Approximately 115 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway qualify for pavement preservation treatment this year beginning in May 2019, and continuing through November 2019. Work will be on hold during the historically high traffic month of October.

These sections of Parkway are scheduled for pavement preservation work in 2019:

• Milepost 175 to 217, Mabry Mill to Fancy Gap area (42 miles)
    • Milepost 241 to 262, Doughton Park to West Jefferson area (21 miles)
    • Milepost 292 to 345, Cone Memorial Park to NC Minerals Museum area (53 miles)
    GF-kam likes this.
  14. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was down there weekend before last. Rode over a bunch of the parkway from Roanoke past the music center into NC, then back north. I can see where people who aren't used to tar and chip would dislike it. Here in west central PA it's been a way of life for at least the last 30 years. I guess I'm just used to it. No wonder my tires never last as long as they should!
    tjzondrz and jeffmackvision like this.
  15. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like there will be a closure in the Roanoke area.

A small section of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia’s Blue Ridge is temporarily closed - from Milepost 106 to Milepost 112, due to road damage and needed repair work.

The National Park Service is advising travelers to detour around the closure by using Route 460 and Route 24, and we recommend that you make the most of the detour by checking out some fun experiences in the Roanoke Valley in Virginia’s Blue Ridge.

The 10 mile detour through Vinton & Roanoke County is the perfect opportunity to dine at a variety of local restaurants, visit some quaint shops & boutiques, see local art & history, and explore a few outdoor adventures.

Source: https://www.visitroanokeva.com/parkwaydetour/
    MYUMPH likes this.
  16. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shoot, was planning to ride down there this weekend. I’m unfamiliar with chip seal, but after 10 minutes of reading, I’m gonna pick somewhere else. That sucks, never done the BRP, only skyline drive.
  17. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I wouldn't let that stop you. They were supposed to stop for October and it is usually only bad for a few days after they complete it. Once the road has some traffic on it the stones get pushed off quickly.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  18. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read today that the 6 miles section around Roanoke was repaired/reopened.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  19. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I completed all 469 miles southbound yesterday..road open and good all the way.
    MYUMPH and jimroid like this.
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So is that 20 mile or so stretch north of Roanoke open now? What did they do in that closure area?

What there any loose chip gravel that wasn't sealed and rolled? Basically any piles of loose gravel in any sections?

Hope you had good weather.