938 Miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway (mostly pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rockinrog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    MYUMPH likes this.
  2. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    MYUMPH likes this.
  3. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. From my home in Great Falls, VA to Asheville. As someone earlier noted, this is one of the years with major construction going on. 115 miles of the parkway is being destroyed by the chip sealing process. From Linville Falls, VA area all the way to just north of Mt. Michelle. Moreover, major sections have deep gravel on it. 20 miles north and south of Little Switzerland had enough of that small gravel on it that it was piling up between tire tracks.

So when I got home I did some digging around to find out what's going on.

Article about 2019 Blue Ridge Parkway major repaving:

https://www.smliv.com/blog/repaving-scheduled-on-sections-of-the-blue-ridge-parkway/

The process….or at least what I saw…is best described as “ Pavement Preservation .” Crazy concept of placing tiny chips of sharp granite gravel on GOOD sections of the parkway to preserve it. Since the Blue Ridge Parkway is in a hole ( deficit ) of $500 million dollars for improvements and only receives about $7 - $10 million annually in federal funding, they keep slapping bandaids on the roads in hopes that someday they will receive sufficient funding. Sure looks like chip sealing.

More in this article:

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/pavementpreservation.htm

This article describes this crazy process of chip sealing pavement preservation process. The crazy process is very harsh on tires. The chips are like small arrow heads. They don’t lay flat. Moreover, your tires will feel like rolling over gravel.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/learn/news/pavement-preservation-release.htm

Good video on chip sealing:

I pulled over to grab some of the small pieces of sharp granite gravel to give you a sense of size.
    PjWASyEFS0e7FOwSerEE+g.jpg

Unlike normal asphalt, the final chip sealing process looks a lot less compacted and flat. Gravel pieces pointing up in every direction.
    OBkb+FtZRziJnETgpLvGBQ.jpg

Some of the pieces of gravel look like small arrow heads.
    Ts1GhBkeQPOLRQMlZsshyg.jpg YpBetx6ESmepcUkXVstgqw.jpg
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more photos of my recent trip down Blue Ridge Parkway MhXgkCTeQoORvkNDJOL1yw.jpg

My favorite lunch spot around Mile Post (MP) 20.
    q2ejJcfqRCuWQQlBh3LU0g.jpg

Dinner at El Charro in Floyd, VA.
    NDwOCS8XT5GFAq+dLeRxzw.jpg

Downtown Floyd.
    I7+FjOh+QcWmCYsIqwc4bg.jpg

Floyd Country Store and Cafe.
    sTtF1g0RSLqaUgYc+sPTNA.jpg

ME8mDL93TFqY0QABlgLuNA.jpg mA+H8IJqQZqColLSVAYOLQ.jpg vaCahzkwRbelMBVlBxg5Aw.jpg wwT2oVmqTnigTR+3KY7Dwg.jpg

My odometer just rolled over 40K miles. Looks like I'll need a new rear brake rotor and tire. Oh and oil change.
    XAwyGI7KT3mWi8NdmUq2sA.jpg
  5. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Mount Mitchell.
    iEJ%KtWlS2+oO1xUkvZrjA.jpg m4c+RJH9Rx2gUvCZS+2CSA.jpg SqTl1NAlRHq8KrsvqLJC2A.jpg

Music center on parkway. Near Galax, VA. You can often find a group playing bluegrass music.
    %szcC32pQae1yNrbyGexoQ.jpg
    MYUMPH and 1stgenfarmboy like this.