94 klr 250 oil?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bgordon22, May 16, 2020.

1. bgordon22

bgordon22 n00b

Oddometer:
    Doing my first oil change soon on my 94 klr 250 and have come to a crossroads. Guy that I bought this beauty from said he put 20 w 5 in it... does that sound right? Or is that bad for it? I haven’t found it recommended anywhere so I’m now concerned that the previous owner was not using the correct oil in her. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated, I’m a noob!

Attached Files:

2. psych-o

psych-o Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike! 20w is way too light. I doubt any damage was done by the previous owner using it, but to extend your longevity I would move to a 40w. Enjoy the ride!
  3. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super sweet bike. Don't f up that awesome color scheme. Use what the manual says. There are very, very, very few cases of oil problems relating to using the manufacturer recommended oil. Name one. If it's low miles I'd keep conventional in it rather than synthetic. Maybe go to synthetic when it's over 5 or 10 thou. Change it at mileage recommended including the oil filter and don't worry about it.

I would also bet that it's very unlikely that any damage was incurred due to oil previously used. I've owned much more abused bikes that purred like a kitten when I got to 'em.
    psych-o and MountainGoatMyke like this.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    don't use oil with friction modifiers, it can make the clutch slip. these are usually marketed as enviro something. best to use old school multi weight mineral oil. I used Castrol 10-40 or 20-50 in mine. Shell Rotella and Dello 400 still have the zinc in them and are other favorites, especially on older air cooled engines (yes, I know the klr has a radiator)

the most important thing is to keep oil in it. check it at least every fill up until you know how much it uses. running low on oil is very bad & destroys the cylinder head (first)
    psych-o likes this.
  5. MountainGoatMyke

MountainGoatMyke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3559.png

An excerpt of the repair manual
    psych-o likes this.
  6. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, reckon zinc (commonly found in engine lubricants) can be considered a, "friction modifier," but . . . I'm not sure these compounds pose a significant threat to KLR clutches (650 or 250). Don't know of any friction modifier/energy conserving warnings in Kawasaki manuals.

I rely on the manual API service codes and viscosity recommendations, and ride on.

That said, I respect your experience in maintenance and repair of KLRs. Have you personally come across clutch compromise/malfunction/damage traceable to high-lubricity motor oils (within manual recommendations)?
  7. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    never a problem with following the manual (at least with oil)(ha ha). the friction modifiers I'm talking about are the ones in the synthetics. "energy conserving" is the term I was trying to think of. those oils have an "EC" sticker on them. I think the cutoff point is 30 wt. anything higher it's a moot point. the EG oils have less internal friction, so less power loss for the engine.when they are chasing automotive emissions every bit counts. anyway, if you sniff around other forums you can find stories of slipping clutches and the occasional slipping starter (sprag clutch). I don't imagine the manual for the klr250 has anything about that in it since the bike is older than that technology. the Gen I manual for the 650 doesn't mention it. as for the zinc, thats an old school modifer to protect cams and valve train. it got phased out of nearly everything because it's bad for catalytic converters, and thats why the diesel oils still have it (I was told). unless your rig is an oil burner I can't imagine that being much of a problem anyway. but ya, my KLRs get/got either GXT, Rotella, or Dello. my other bikes get Penzoil.... "Penz" on what I got layin' around ha ha. no, mostly Rotella

P.S. I am no oil expert
  8. bgordon22

bgordon22 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you!! first real ride today and I love it already
  9. bgordon22

bgordon22 n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks for the reply, I plan to keep this color scheme forever - tells a great story of its age I think
  10. bgordon22

bgordon22 n00b

Oddometer:
    thanks for the heads up and recommendation, ill definitely keep an eye on that
  11. bgordon22

bgordon22 n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't have one so thank you very much for that!
  12. MountainGoatMyke

MountainGoatMyke Been here awhile

Oddometer: