1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

950/990 Adv - Alternative rim options (brands)?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Orange Toaster, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Orange Toaster

Orange Toaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings all.

I am chasing a new front rim for a 950 Adventure. Apart from the original, I have found that Excel makes one the same size (21x2.15").
    Do anybody know of other alternatives and where to get them (international shipping is fine)?

Thanks
    /OT
    mrrgoncalves likes this.
  2. zimtim

zimtim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Orange Toaster likes this.
  3. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    If you offroad a lot. Go for the 1.85
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  4. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    I bought my Takasago EXCEL A60 21 x 1.85 from Summit Racing- they had the best price on the 'net (for USA). Strong as anything! Tires fit better, our stock rims were not only soft but too wide. Just looked and they are out of stock... :-(

If you take some time soaking the nipple/spoke ends with penetrant, marking spokes (start at valve hole for reference) and taking a few pictures you can take your old one apart & lace your new one up in about an hour- make sure to use clean the threads with a wire brush & solvent, then use nickel anti-seize on the threads (place some in nipple holes as well) so you get a good clean torque/feel from each nipple as you tighten them. Plenty of videos to help lacing & truing on YouTube if you need assistance.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  5. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    And if he goes off-road even more than a lot (like in a lot, a lot), then go for a 1.6.
  6. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you plan on reusing the stock hub and spokes you should consider the OEM KTM 950 Super Enduro front Dirt Star 21" x 1.85" front rim. That's what I did, the OEM Super Enduro front rim has Euro drilled spoke hole pattern and the rim is much stronger then the 950/990 adventure rim.

Be aware that many replacement front rims have a Japanese drilled spoke hole pattern and requires custom spoke lengths or modification of the rim drilled spoke holes when reusing the stock hub.
    DesertSurfer, el Pete and roookie1 like this.
  7. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm also interested. But in Tubeless. Are the rims from a 1190 a good thing, to re-spoke on the 990 hubs?
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
  9. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do both rims have the internal ridge that prevents the tire to come out of the rim in case of flat.
    More generally, I was more in search of a natively tubeless rim that could be fitted on the 990 hubs. Was wondering if anyone knew one.
  10. Orange Toaster

Orange Toaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    zimtim likes this.
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good idea, but they won't lace up. For some damn reason KTM went to Jap lacing for the 1x90 front wheel. Also, the front rim is even wider than before, now up to 2.5x21.
    Rear wheel/hub is the same lacing.

If you want to go with a 19/17 wheel size, the new 1290s cast wheels are cheap. But, the front brake mounts are too wide for 950/990 brakes.
    LilYoda likes this.
  12. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad about the difference in lacing for the front. But at least the rear would be an option, then.

So that means I'd have to search for a 21 inch euro laced tubeless rim for the 990 front. Not sure that exists...
  13. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are NO narrow 21" rims that have the safety beads for tubless. Some run them anyway. I would not.

I really like the 19" front rim and tire combo for pavement. Not bad for easy two track also. The 2.5x19 Excel rim comes with the safety beads, uses the common 110x19 tire.
    Running a radial on both the front and back really helps the handling. Some have kept the 18 rear, some changed to 4.25x17 rim 150-17 tire rear, both worked. The 150-17 tire is much more common and available.
    DesertSurfer and Crazygreek like this.