950/990 headlight disassembly

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Stolek, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Stolek

Stolek 950 Adv

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Any of you have ever took off the glass from KTM's headlamp? I need to remove inner reflection part from it (I want to regenerate a mirror 'metal'). I can see that lamp is not glued to the housing but has small hooks/snaps to hold it together.
    On my lamp everything fits so tight that I couldn't open it on a first attempt. I'm afraid I'll break it.

Have anyone tried it, do you have any tips? Maybe there is a hidden screw?

Looks like this:

[​IMG]
  2. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the idea is that you don't take it apart!
  3. speedy 1

speedy 1 Wizard

Oddometer:
    It is glued together with clear silicone.
    Took one apart one time .... it was a mess. Broke the clips etc.
    Vinegar will soften the silicone but it also damages the shiny coating on the reflector.
    Fellow inmate "alongat" has done a better job at taking them apart. Check his headlight upgrade posts.
  4. Stolek

Stolek 950 Adv

Oddometer:
    goddamn...
  5. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might still have my stock headlight, in case you destroy yours. If you need me to look in my spacious and well-appointed shop for it, let me know.
  6. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've pulled 3 of them apart successfully. Never seen any clear silicone but lots of black mastic. Take an Xacto knife and go around the between the body and lens cutting as deep as you can. Slip some pieces of cut up plastic, like a milk jug or water bottle under the clips. Then very carefully start prying it apart. Go slow and let the mastic stretch as you go. Takes me over an hour to get one apart.

20190125_190831.jpg 20190125_190827.jpg
  7. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    put it in your oven on 130C/265F for 7-10 minutes. Pry on it, if it starts to come apart, awesome, if not, go another 7 minutes. took mine 3 or so tries before it split.
    Cut mine apart last year for an led conversion.

[​IMG]
  8. speedy 1

speedy 1 Wizard

Oddometer:
    Well ... there you have it.
    My approach was all wrong.
  9. Stolek

Stolek 950 Adv

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys :) I'll try to do it on my own using both methods. I knew that I can count on advrider community :)
    I assume that you guys unscrew 3 regulations screws (1 in the front and 2 in the back)?
  10. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No need to touch the alignment screws on the back, they're ball socketed to the reflector. A gentle pry is all that is needed. back the front adjuster out as you remove the cover.
  11. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    This might be a slight derailment here...
    I always have wondered who was going to be the first to cram a couple Squadrons behind the factory lens. Do you find that the Squad's light pattern changes much when they're behind that lens? Do you have to worry about fog buildup on the inside of the KTM lens?
  12. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not noticable and no fogging yet.. I'm in the SF Bay where it's wet or foggy on the regular during the winter. the bracket is 3d printed and the file is on thingiverse.
    geometrician likes this.
  13. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went looking on the site and couldn't find the file, plenty of keychains tho. Do you have the file yet or point me a little closer to find it.
    Did you a write up on your project?
  14. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *modified... heavily modified.. illegally modified.. This mod is not road certified or legal, modify your bike at your own risk. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3349824 *

Here's where I found the information on removing the headlight lens:
    http://www.superduke.net/forum/view...sid=9f333e6eb5e69d870fd0d4f37ebfec13&start=50
    Allrpm, geometrician, el Pete and 2 others like this.
  15. Stolek

Stolek 950 Adv

Oddometer:
    Is it legal in your country? I bet in mine, or even in whole europe it would be problematic on annual tech checks or police control... diy HIDs are not allowed.
  16. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why you have an extra headlight for easy change before bi annual check that we have in Sweden.

Tempted to buy the plastic around it also and have a windscreen mounted would make it really easy.

They have started being picker when it comes to sound now also.

/Johan
    geometrician likes this.
  17. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Looks like he lives in California so technically it's illegal, but we don't have annual tech checks.
  18. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tech checks & police control - UGH… :flush
  19. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP: In the vein of illegal modifications.. buy a new headlight assembly from KTM to comply with your local laws since the one you have is worn out.

this. Meanwhile there's 20 pages of threads on emissions deletes, tuning, exhausts, and intakes. Keep your bike 100% factory stock in compliance with the law, or keep the illegal remarks to yourself.

I modified my headlight. Yeah, it's Illegal under the law. I'd rather see the person walking in the street at night in the rain than to accidentally hit them because my compliant stock North American headlight was not up to the task. No oncoming motorist has flashed me yet, and it's been to 4 states since this mod.. But then again most motorists out west either leave their highbeams permanently on, or no lights at all.
    The Doc, iluso and tooofast like this.
  20. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer: