950/990 headlight disassembly

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Stolek, Jan 25, 2019.

1. tooofast

tooofast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy cow this is super super super cool. i think that could be the ultimate light mod.
  2. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:

nice result! where did you get those headlight?
  3. tooofast

Oddometer:
    can you post some photos of the back of the housing and let us know how you sealed the back to stop moisture and crap getting into the old light housing when the new lights are installed? Also any heat issues as the Bajas get pretty hot when running, .. Thanks, Dave
  4. albani

albani Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made it. The leds are from baja designs. stock ktm enclosure. 3d printed bracket.

It uses the stock rubber cover that the headlight had originally. I don't have pics but will get some later. I didn't seal it at all and it's yet to give me any issues. It was built and installed around october last year so the jury is still out on seeing if they run too hot, I doubt it though. I'll pull it out later this week and get some more photos.. the ones I have aren't all that great

Here's a link with a bunch of photos. I didn't put locktite on the led screws initially and they backed out some causing the white dust you see around the housing. Initially melted the backside of the housing to clear the led's frame at maximum aim height. If I recall correctly I fixed the cad file to not need this... if not, lemme know. This bracket will retain both factory aiming adjusters.

https://imgur.com/a/SZSdmEl

Once again, Mod at your own risk ;)
  5. tooofast

Oddometer:
    Great thanks. We appreciate the help and insight. There are two of us out here who are planning do this so what you posted has been a great help.
  6. tooofast

Oddometer:
    Just finished getting the inner mount printed. Time to bake a headlight!!! Photos to follow.
    dino702 and opanos like this.
  7. Stolek

Stolek 950 Adv

Oddometer:
    Hi, I decided to make a renovation of the headlamp. After few months It's ready finally.

This is the mirror after removing the glass. You can see burnt silver (white stains). I have no idea why it was so broken - possibly mounted HIDs in the past (rubber caps had one cent size holes)

[​IMG]

Removed glass - one more time: thanks for help and instructions how to remove it... Bloody hell, it was hard!

[​IMG]

Renovated glass:

[​IMG]

I removed all old glue from the lamp and the glass, and glued again with Sikaflex 221 (silicone-like polyurethane)

[​IMG]

Lamp works like original. Much more better tan it was before. I didn't want to put leds or hids. I don't want to have problems with police or annual tech checks. It's not perfect but I can see the world in front of me :)

Costs? Not big. I made it in my country (Poland, Europe) and it was about 25$ (mirror) + 5$ (glue). New original lamp is about 200$ here.

Cheers
    White Owl and anydavenow like this.
  8. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you redo the mirror? Tell us more.
  9. Stolek

Stolek 950 Adv

Oddometer:
    I had to disassemble the lamp on my own. I gave the mirror to the professional company who make chromes on plastic surfaces (galvanization). They removed old silver and put the new one. Then I assembled the lamp together.
    White Owl and gearheadE30 like this.
  10. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks awesome. Pretty hard to find places that will do stuff like that on a piecemeal basis in the US, in part because of how tightly controlled the chemicals involved are.

I did something similar to @albani but made my own bracket instead of putting the LEDs inside the stock housing. I don't think the Rigids would fit in there, but that's a slick setup for Squadrons.

[​IMG]
    Crazygreek, White Owl and anydavenow like this.
  11. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had a tough time getting it apart but finally did and managed to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Thanks for the print file! Psyched to aim it and see what it can do in the dark!
    opanos likes this.
  12. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Maybe some more info about this mod?
    Boatman and mountaincadre like this.
  13. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check post #24. albani did all the work. I can't take credit, I just followed his instructions!
  14. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who printed the bracket and what type of print material did they use? Very cool mod
  15. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the bracket printed at a 3D print shop around the corner from my house... I sent them the file and discussed it's use. They recommended high density ABS and I requested it in black. It cost me around $100 (CDN).