950 Adventure Spark Plug Change

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Nightstalker, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Swapped out my spark plugs today and thought some of you would like to see some pictures. I was doing an oil change as well, and I like to fully disrobe the bike when working on it, so I already had the tanks off. (You would only need to remove the right side tank to access the spark plug.)

Access to the rear cylinder is easy enough. The leads from the CDI box disconnect at the top of the coil. The coil then pulls right out. Use your KTM supplied (should you be so lucky to have one) spark plug wrench and pull that puppy right out of there.
    [​IMG]

The front cylinder is quite a bit trickier, but its doable. The radiator fan boot is kind of in the way, but I didn't have to remove it. Disconnect the wires and pull the coil. Drop the first part of the spark plug wrench into the hole and wiggle it into place with your fingers. Then use the handle (don't use the extension) to turn the plug out. It's slow going, but entirely possible.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the plugs, before and after.
    [​IMG]
  2. vanimal

vanimal smiling under my helmet

Oddometer:
    i knew there was something i forgot to do when i changed my oil! thanks for the pics. i guess i was one of the lucky that got the spark plug wrench. along with the beer bottle opener. :huh
  3. LKN4DRT

LKN4DRT Mended

Oddometer:
    How many miles on those?
  4. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    11,106 miles.
  5. LC8rider

LC8rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How the hell do you get a torque wrench in there??? :eek1
  6. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:
    You don't need to. IIRC the little diagrams on the NGK plug box show finger tight, then 1/16 to 1/2 a turn more.

Douf
  7. LC8rider

LC8rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought that might be the procedure. Others may need to note though, the sealing ring on an old plug has already been crushed so you would be tightening that little bit more using the 'turns' method. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. Who uses old plugs anyway:huh
  8. Rad Brad

Rad Brad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the previous posts! Here's my photos and suggestions from my first spark plug replacement challenge on Sparkles, my 2005 KTM 950 Adventure.

I wasn't lucky enough to get the KTM spark plug socket and beer bottle opener in the tool bag. So, I bought the Motion Pro 16mm socket, which I ended up grinding down a bit on the outer edges to have more clearance. Well, you probably don't need that. I realized I hadn't removed the plastic sheath inside the hole. D'oh.

The plug under the seat was no problem to remove ... and not so on the front plug. However, it's no BS that you don't have to remove the radiator ... if you have one of these Titan shorty 3/8" wrench, which I keep in my toolkit. Love it, and it's so cute!

IMG_20191123_122740586.jpg

I plugged in these two other 3/8" attachments, which was just the right length:
    • 3" extension
    • universal, swivel extension
    IMG_20191123_122650514.jpg

I was able to get only one click when rotating the wrench, which was just enough to remove and tighten. The swivel really helped.

IMG_20191123_122352998.jpg

I think this might be the original NGK CR8EK. Sparkles wanted to try the new-fangled, NGK Iridium CR8IEX, so I did. Who doesn't want more power?

IMG_20191123_122700778.jpg

Can't wait to try 'em out. It's Winter in Idaho, so might be a short ride.

BTW, my end-of-season maintenance also consisted of a coolant flush (not too difficult, but a sticky mess); and Rottweiler air filter clean and re-lube.

Attached Files:

Bonnie & Clyde likes this.