950 adventure stalling / fuelpump

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by avantwist, May 26, 2019.

1. avantwist

avantwist n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Have a 950 2003 adventure, bike bogs/stalls in every gear beteen 5 and 6000 rpm.
    Ordered the DR-Bean fuelpump mod but notices when removing the pump that I have a "Pierburg" fuelpump insteadf of the original.
    Could this have caused the stalling/bogging wqith the rpm's?

Would it be better to replace the pump by anb original or go with the facet one?

thanks,
  2. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ignore facet!
  3. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    WHY? had my facet in for over 40.000 miles with zero issue's, is thete something newer and better?
  4. KPuusepp

KPuusepp It's a f***ing 950 adventure...

Oddometer:
    Same here. No problems at all.
  5. zimtim

zimtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah please tell also had my FACET for a good few years and miles now, and has lasted a lot longer than the OEM one
  6. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont last long off road in my experience less than a year, tried 2,but with Dr Bean no problems.
  7. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My original pump has gone a bit over 100000 km, and is still working. Install the Dr. Bean kit and forget it..
  8. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm over 90000 on original pump with original breakers. Did have some issues a couple of years ago and did the MosFet mod since breakers was evenly worn and kept riding.

But went Dr bean on my dad's bike since breakers were looking bad.

/Johan
    roookie1 likes this.
  9. zimtim

zimtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do quite a lot of off road especially on Salisbury plain and have never had issues with the Facet pump.
    Now the starter relay that's a different issue
    mountaincadre likes this.
  10. avantwist

avantwist n00b

Oddometer:
    The Facet didnt make the difference, a complete cleanup of the carbs did. thanks all.
    DirtyADV likes this.
  11. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    It's difficult to install the Facet neatly - it's a bit on the large side and routing the fuel pipe neatly with a minimum of joints means a fair bit of work. Also the wiring is poor, so can cause reliability problems in the long run. I used a Facet for a while, but switched to the fit-and-forget Mr Bean modified original which has been faultless for well over 100,000 km.

It seems that the points in the OE pump failed prematurely on bikes that were regularly run low on fuel or often had the carbs run dry for storage - the extra cycling causes the points to burn. Maybe. My points were bad at around 46k km and I'm sure both of these potential causes had something to do with the failure.
  12. AllenGS

AllenGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my fuel pump mystery: very occasionally, the OEM pump on my '03 950 doesn't run. After some time passes the pump works again. If my tank's full I don't even notice—so I don't know how often this happens—but it's stranded me once and last night it kept me from going out for a few hours.
    I've confirmed that the pump runs when I put 12v to it directly and last night I swapped the relays when it wasn't working and that didn't fix the problem, so I *think* the pump itself and pump relay are OK.
    Yesterday I had the carbs in hand; is there any relevant wiring to the carbs that could be loose and causing this problem? If not, how does the ECU know when to run the pump and when to stop it... its there a fuel pressure sensor somewhere, or does the ECU just power the pump briefly on power-up and continuously when the engine's running? It seems like there must be a pressure sensor since when I turn my key on my pump runs longer if the bike's been sitting for days, presumably to fill the fuel lines & float bowls, and it runs for just a fraction of a second before shutting off again if I've run the bike earlier in the same day.
    If you've had a similar problem, what & how did you troubleshoot? Thanks!