950 banned from Dakar Rally???

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by HogWild, May 4, 2004.

1. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    It appears the new rules for the Dakar Rally exclude twin-cylinder 2-wheelers bigger than 450cc. Ouch for the 950! This seems a bit sad for such a great bike (maybe too great), but hey, I don't make the rules. More details on the JUST UPDATED Dakar web site: www.dakar.com

My big V-Twin is going to Dakar. For some of us, rules don't apply.
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    There is very little chance that a major decision regarding a major manufacture/participant like KTM in the Dakar was made with out KTM’s support.

I would bet that behind the scenes, KTM supported this rule. The 950 was not really gonna be raced seriously by KTM next year anyway. They did not wanna field 950 teams ‘cause of the expense and they are not really competitive against their own 660’s except in the wide open sections.
  3. witzgall

witzgall Goin' South

Oddometer:
    In the regs, it states:

Admission
    Pour all categories:
    • all twin-cylinder motorcycles of over 450 cm3 will be prohibited from the 2005 competition onwards,
    • assessment of participation by 450 cm3 vehicles.

In the class listing, there is a production and super-production class for over 450 cm3. So maybe they mean that AFTER the 2005 (2006+) is when they will introduce the change. Gives the manufacturers time to get machines ready????

Chris
  4. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    I read that as all twin-cylinder over 450cc machines will be banned from 2005 on, and participation of 450cc machines is being looked at.
  5. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Might this consideration be for the Aprillia V-twin? A V-twin, in a lightweight total package, similar to the two wheel drive yamaha might be pretty competative. :thumb
  6. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Well, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this was a quick move to keep the new BMW 1200 GS from dominating next years event.

:>
  7. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    :rofl :poser :jose :poser :poser :smoke

Now that is a good one! :rofl
  8. bestride

bestride Coyote

Oddometer:
    Thumpers shall rule. :ksteve
  9. Robert

Robert KickAss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like BMW marketing division is in da house
  10. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    Crap.
  11. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    It’s the tyre manufactures .. they cannot find glue strong enough to hold the knobs on. So to avoid embarrassment had the big bikes banned.

:freaky
  12. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Dude are you compiting with NLS for the Biggest 1200 grupppy award,,,
    :huh

or people are becoming more clueless all the time,,no offence but the R12GSis a great all around bike but still not even close to the R900G/SRR that jimmy race a few years back
  13. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    What wayne were you trying to compete with your awesome twin:eek1
  14. speckypete

speckypete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn't mention 3 cylender bikes.... :deal
  15. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    yes... i heard this news many months ago... :cry

KTM don't want to improve more LC8 for rally competition but only for street.... 990duke....

660 rally is enough for dakar riders and only MEONI is able to ride the 950...

the 950 ADV 2005 model will have fuel injection, ABS (opitional), low seat.... :huh

i'm so proud to have a 950 that is ORANGE, HIGH, AND WITH CARBURATORS... :thumb
  16. dedes (sas)

dedes (sas) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is this just a rumor or its really true?
  17. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I personally feel the LC8 Rallye bike is an overkill for desert racing. Perhalps is was just an experiment/advertisement for the durability of the engine so that KTM can market it to the masses. Buy the Dakar winning LC8.. Buy it and you will love it.. I believe it worked, the engine is phenomenal, LC8 performs well on or off-pavement and people did go out and buy the machines.
    For desert racing applications, I think the Yamaha 2-trac WR450F is better suited for future Dakar type racing.. less weight, less fuel consumtion, more traction.. it's an enduro, not a 3000 mile hare scramble. :thumb
  18. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    not official.... but true... bike show at INTERMOT MUNICH 2004...
  19. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2006 no cylinders, no cc's! All competition will be on dirt bikes with pedals. This is in consideration of the greenies that are concerned about the enviroment. (They are discussing an exception for the new 1200GS, however if allowed other riders will be required to give the BMW 30 seconds per mile adjustment)
  20. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    Maybe only in my dreams, it's a lot of money to run the Dakar.

But, Now today I'm more in rant mode, I'm really pissed about this. Not only can our "little" 500 twin not run, but what is the dakar without the BMW twins, the KTM, and the Yamaha 750 of Peterhansel???? TWINS made the dakar what it is, they are the history that made it great! the TWINS always got some great riders, sponsors, and TV coverage.

Here I go, but what do they care? It's not like twins are winning all and creating an unfair advantage to the race??? The singles took all the top spots anyway, what do they care if I race a twin? This reeks of political BS. Racing, especially a great race like Dakar should encourage the best technology to make the best effort, if you win you win!! It is "no skin off their nose" if a twin races, what is the logic here????

This is a travesty of motorsport, it is like saying no turbos on WRC, no two strokes on motorcross or desert racing, no V-8's on NASCAR.

Very sad how business overules logic.