950 battle scars

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Lone Ranger, May 30, 2004.

1. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even though I promised myself I would not ride in anything that would risk laying the bike down, I couldn't help myself. Yesterday I rode the Middle Main Divide from Ortega Highway to Silverado Canyon in So Cal. After making a wrong turn at the summit I tried to stop and hold the bike on a slope. The bike slid down and I dropped it with the wheels uphill. Beings how I was riding by myself and was 20 miles in I could have been in deep s--t if it was not for a couple of four wheelers I had passed a few miles back. They were kind enough to help pick up my wounded Orange Monster. One of their wives kept commenting about the beautiful paint and how it changed color in the sun. Now it had battle scrars from the rocks it was laying on! If I would have had the crash bars none of the paint damage would have occurred. Oh well it is suppose to be and off road machine. Other than scratches on the paint and my leg the only damage was a broken mirror and bent clutch lever. Next week my crash bars arrive! The next thing I will do is find some more aggressive tires.
  2. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i pull that crap all the time on my drz. Make a wrong turn, try climbing something loose and near vertical, fall down,slide a little, try to pick the bike up,fall down, watch fuel run out of the tank, swear then start over. I loaded the 950 up with protection but i can not afford to take it somewhere where i cant pick it up because i ride alone at times. The ktm racks on the back look like they will protect the mufflers preety well.
  3. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I had the tank gaurds and luggage racks I would not have any paint damage. Hey its an offroad machine! I always see these Hummers going down the highway without a scratch and wonder why the owner bought it.
  4. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I think that adventure bikes are supposed to have a few nicks and scars on them. That said, I was pretty bummed when I put a nice scrape on the left tank of my 'less than two months old' orange KTM 950. No way to match that paint, and replacing the tank would cost $1300, but the damage was purely cosmetic, so I ordered a set of the carbon fiber tank guards from Big Twin and once those are installed it'll look as good or better than new with the scar completely concealed. I had originally ordered a set of the KTM crash bars, but cancelled that order after reading a number of posts indicating that they aren't attached to a firm structure, part of the frame, and could, thus, do more damage than they might prevent in certain kinds of lay-downs. I think that the stock exhausts are pretty tough, it would take quite a bit to damage that, but maybe the rear luggage racks might help. I bought my bike over 2 months ago now and am still waiting for those to arrive.

MTKTM
  5. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first time I tossed the DRZ in rocks, I obsessed and bought a new fender :rofl :rofl :rofl

..now it looks like it fell off a truck a year later :freaky

Bottom line: all those scratches give you freedom-freedom from giving a shit and thus ride better! My 950 is spotless right now (been offroad twice), but I covered the lowers with truck bed tape (tough stuff) till the BigTwin protectors and crash bars come in (deposit, but may bail on those). I know it WILL get scraped though...
  6. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    I dumped my 950 the first time I had it off-road ( no time wasted there ). The previous owner installed the KTM crash bars and they work great. :thumb They work well for the type of spills I seam to have (slow speed technical terrain). If you case the bike on a triple than the bars willnot help much :rofl
  7. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    I dumped my 950 the first time I had it off-road ( no time wasted there ). The previous owner installed the KTM crash bars and they work great. :thumb They work well for the type of spills I seam to have (slow speed technical terrain). If you case the bike on a triple than the bars willnot help much :rofl
  8. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
  9. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    i've just changed the PLASTIC PLUGS under the tanks.... very very cheap... 6 euro a pair...

but skratches are no problems.... just repain the transparent if need...

if the bike don't fall... you're not making offroad.... :D
  10. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:

One post not enough??? :wink: