950 Gas Mileage / Range Check In

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by PhotoMotard, May 5, 2006.

1. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was surprised to get between 42 and 44mpg on my recent trip from Boston to Indy for MotoGP. I was fully loaded for camping. Until that trip I typically got 38-40mpg. My fuel light regularly came on about 190 miles and I took between 4.3 and 4.5 gallons.

The bike has 39k miles, a fresh tune and valve adj, new front hoop with an excellent balance job. I used Scorps with 3k miles on them. 34psi front and 36 rear.

Maybe the improvement was simply because I cruised the slab at 68-72 indicated on my GPS. I think that is about 4mph slower then my other trips.
  2. WHYNOWTHEN

WHYNOWTHEN where are the pedals?

Oddometer:
    I just bought an 08 990 with 4000 miles on it. I got 127 miles on my first tank, riding in fairly strong wind with Gobi boxes on. I wasn't going fast, but was on windy roads. What am I doing wrong here? I was hoping for more miles per gallon.
  3. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    I haven't actually run mine to the light for a while, but today I had 145 mi. on it when I filled up. The light wasn't on yet and it only took 4.148 gal. 35 mpg when you do the math. If you haven't yanked the cannister and done the gas cap flappers yet, then once you do you can fill it all the way up. That should buy you a few more miles.
  4. WHYNOWTHEN

WHYNOWTHEN where are the pedals?

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm back to bitch. My girlfriend and I took our new toy (08 990) out camping this weekend. We did about 60 miles on dirt and then ran out of gas after 43 miles on the asphalt. Luckily we ran out of gas in the lovely (not) small town of New Cuyama. Unluckily N.C. no longer has a gas station. A good sumaritan helped us out with a gallon of gas which got us another 25 miles to the next town (which did have gas). When I filled up, the bike only took 4.4 gallons. Do I have a misshaped tank that holds less than the rumored 5.8 gallons, or do I have some other problem with not using the bottom 1.4 gallons? Also, is 30 miles per gallon acceptable? How are you guys getting 40+ miles per gallon?
    Ok bitchin done, What a fun bike. Great to get away from EVERYTHING!
  5. LanceSA

LanceSA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In 19 000km of mixed riding on my 06 990 I have averaged 7.28 l/100km or about 32 mpg.
    Not sure if some need a lesson on that thingy attached to the right hand handlebar.......... :lol3
  6. tastiecappy

tastiecappy n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings Crushers from downunder in NZ. My 05 950 with Aqualines, Open pipes with sound restrictors and some jet mods. Wide Gobis on and a CeeBee Screen, 595km (371miles) till reserve light. 680km (425miles) bone dry.Averaged around 60-70 Mph Giving it a handfull when needed for passing and fun. Im happy, carried a 5Ltr tank on rack its great to know the real range....And not a leak in site.
    So lets do math and I suck. 680km div by 44ltr = 15.45 km per Ltr err cant for the life of me remember ltr/gal conversion.
  7. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    I'll do the conversion for you :deal

Mileage = 425 miles / 11.623 gallons = 36.56 Miles Per Gallon (US). Not bad.
  8. Grizzz4440

Grizzz4440 Over the Hill (Wild Bill)

Oddometer:
    My 07/990 says 5.1 max gas. Fuel pump does take up room in fuel tenk. I think 950 will take 5.8 gal.
  9. the foolish fellow

the foolish fellow UP FOR IT

Oddometer:
    collected my 08 990 last week and rode it home, the most part of the journey was from weymouth to stranrar. It was extremely tiresome getting only 130 miles to the light (at a cruising speed of 90mph on the motorway ) . This is really not what an adventure bike is about . My previous 950 didnt seem just that bad . Any suggestions as to extend the range at this sort of cruising speed. I would consider extra tanks but i would prefer not to take away from the appearance of the bike.
  10. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say that is very good mpg considering a cruising speed of 90 mph. I'd turn it back around and say cruising on the motorway in general is not what an adventure bike is about. Maybe a nice sport tourer instead?
  11. the foolish fellow

the foolish fellow UP FOR IT

Oddometer:
    [QUOTEI'd say that is very good mpg considering a cruising speed of 90 mph. I'd turn it back around and say cruising on the motorway in general is not what an adventure bike is about. Maybe a nice sport tourer instead?][/QUOTE]

cruising on the motorway is a means to and end , living where i do travelling to europe or africa entails quite a bit of motorway work . Also the type of remote places attractive to "adventure types" seldom have ready and frequent fuel availability. Going trail riding for a day doesnt cause a problem but methinks this is not all that these bikes are bought for . My main issue is not with fuel consumption although i feel it should be better, but with the range and tank capacity , if we could conveniently add 5 litres somewhere without compromising the bike
  12. Gnasher

Gnasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This could explain my recent experience.
    Iv'e just clocked up a 2000+ mile ride after a fresh service and I was getting 175 before the fuel light for the first 1000 miles and after that I was getting closer to 150. It seems a big difference in just 1000 miles riding?? The bike was pretty stacked with me being a chunky guy and a ton of equipment. http://[​IMG]
  13. Strobes

Strobes It's go time!!

Oddometer:
    Justed completed a quick 750 mile trip in Colorado on my 05.5 950 with loaded cases. Had to fill up six times and averaged 36 mpg ( best--41, worst--33). This was all highway miles. I am using the 16T front sproket and Scorps front and rear.
    The fuel light came on at ~140-150 miles.
    I'm heading for West Fest next week on an almost all off-road, dirt route from Durango. I'll track that as well...
  14. bdefen

bdefen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boise, Idaho - In the heart of Dual-Sport Paradise
    Got an 06 950 Adv. FMF pipes, stock jetting, UNI Pre filter. About 250 lb load with me and panniers, gear. TKC up front, 908RR on back, 16t countershaft sprocket.

Just got back from a 750 mi. trip to Steens Mtn. Oregon, and other areas near there. Rougher, variable two-track off-road stuff at hot temperatures yielded 34 mpg. One leg of gravel and asphalt highway stuff with one twisty, slower 1,500 foot pass jup and down yielded nearly 43 mpg at speeds up to 75 mph. My fuel light came on at 202.8, got gas at 203.3. It took 4.789 gals, for a 42.451 average. And this was on 10% ethanol. Pure gasoline, which I can get at a three different stations in Boise, would have yielded 45 mpg or better.:wink:
  15. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    So is the general consensus that MPG increased going to a 16t front?
  16. LC8rider

LC8rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best I've managed to get is 49mpg (UK gal) average. The bike was new then and had the 17t sprocket. A recent trip around Portugal gave an average of around 44/46mpg with a 16t fitted and 25,500m under its belt.
    I'm happy enough with that considering the type of roads travelled!
    Incidently, during one fill up I managed to squeeze in 22L of fuel and the bike hadn't run dry - must have been bloody close though :eek1
  17. trialsntribulations

trialsntribulations Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hadn't read this whole thread but had wanted to share what I experienced recently on the bike, then saw this thread.

Just got done the dempster and couldn't believe the milage I got. 422 km total and I had not run out of gas yet. But, I did put in 22.17 litre so must've been on fumes. Total distance I traveled on the fuel light: 104 km.

Now I know some of you are going to call bullcrap but it is true. However we were really taking our time travelling up the dempster taking lots of pictures and many stops. Typically travel at 65 to 90 km/h but it's good to know that you can go that far on the fuel light if need be. I kept it at about 3500 to 4000 rpms. I actually repeated the 100 km fuel range on the light a second time during this trip.
  18. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How the hell do you guys get 40 MPG?!?!?!?! :huh

I have had both a 950 ADV and a 950SE and cannot get over 34 MPG and that is when I'm really babying it. My average is 28-30MPG.

When I'm really having fun it's more like 22-24 MPG.

I call BS!:wink:
  19. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    Done even better then that, travelling in Africa on hardpack dirt, namibia mostly long straight and windy sections, done about 122km's on reserve, totalled 440k's on the tanks.

It's possible, just need the right conditions :)
  20. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The right conditions would be a good stiff tail wind and a steady 50 mpg in 5th gear, with no bags.

40 mph riding by myself. 36 when embarassing sport bikes.
    Once or twice, under the "right conditions" maybe 45 mpg.

05 950 Adv, stock gearing, FMF's, Slightly rich MJ from stock.