950 Gas Mileage / Range Check In

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by PhotoMotard, May 5, 2006.

1. rusty43

rusty43 cruzincariboucountry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I met a few Manitobans on the Dempster and heard their tales of mileage so decided to run from Eagle Plains to the junction with no fill up. Light on at 295 km and ran it to 380 km before fueling. Dempster was in real nice shape and speed was over 100 plenty of times. Hi Darryl and Mark and Bernard, hope you made it home alright.
  2. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Jet Measurer

Oddometer:
    Fuel light came on tonight at 188 mi, which is about average. My highest mileage is 44, lowest is about 30. I average real close to 40 under "normal" riding.

H2W jetting w/ prefilter and FMF cans. 1 tooth down on the front. Canister and SASectomies done.
    I get better mileage than I did when it was bone stock.
  3. jamesbrown

jamesbrown Lefty tighty.

Oddometer:
    I don't really buy these mileage comparisons given the huge variability with conditions. For example, my mileage is shockingly bad when commuting in heavy traffic with lots of lights to accelerate away from :evil. I average 20 mpg, or roughly 85 miles before the light comes on. It's spot-on otherwise, runs great, but has always had crazy low mpg when ridden hard in traffic (from bone stock to now with all 'ectomies performed and akra's with needle on 3rd clip).
  4. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    I have never gotten less than 120 on a tank of fuel. But 85!:eek1 Must have been tearin it up.
  5. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My fuel light usually comes on around 220 kms (137 miles).
    I figured that was just the way it was.
    Yesterday I was on a ride and I thought I was going to run out of fuel so I started to change my driving habits. This experiment started when I was already at 100 kms (65 miles).
    I short shifted as much as possible and did not go over 4000 rpm. I was running knobbies front and back (which usually decreases the fuel mileage) and no panniers. My light finally came on at 280 kms (175 miles).
    I couldn't believe it. Changing the way you ride makes a huge difference.
    This is a very boring way to ride these bikes. The motor doesn't seen to come alive unless you are over 5000 rpm.
    Will I continue to change my driving habits? Probably not, It is just way too much fun to twist that throttle!
    :evil
  6. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    2006 950 ADV, H2W jet kit, Canisterctomy, Remus Rev Carbon pipes. TKC 80 / Dunlop 908 and I get about 160 miles when the fuel light comes on and end up around 38 MPG on twisty country roads. Don't do enough freeway to know. Maybe 33 average on dirt. Never go long enough on dirt to get the fuel light. I top off every time I can in the dirt. Northern Wisconsin and the U P have a plentifull supply of gas stations.
  7. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    I'm shopping an LC8 Adventure to replace my 1050 Tiger and am amazed at the shit mileage you guys get! I ride my Tiger like a big sport bike, hard and fast a lot and tour a bit too.

Last tank I averaged 55mpg.

Tank before that 60 mpg average!

Never, since I bought it new, less than 45mpg.

Looks like I'll be spending a lot more on fuel if this thing sells!
  8. dura-ace

dura-ace east bay moto scum

Oddometer:
    06 adv, Best to yellow, 192 miles, :clap Worst, 82 !! :evil
  9. boxertwin

boxertwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll be spending a lot more on fuel if this thing sells![/QUOTE]

You won't care one bit.
  10. SSrider

SSrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock 09 990...I was getting around 35. I then did the 15 minute idle reset and took it on a 2 day 1000+ road trip. Ever since then I have gotten no less that 43 mpg. And that was two up ! I also did one stretch of 203 miles on a single tank. Still had a bit of fuel left as well.
  11. genghis9021

genghis9021 Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    2006 with 16T CS, Ned's 2-1 and Remus, Head2Wind jet kit, uni pre-filter. The bike is jetted for 5000' above sea level.

I use the GiantLoopMoto bags and a dry bag strapped to those. With the KTM touring screen, Mefos and a GPS for speed measurement . . . The damn thing gets 40-41 MPG whether cruising (cursing) slab, 65 MPH on gravel, or ripping corners. And that pretty much describes yesterday's ride from Prince Rupert to Terrace, up the 113 to a First Nation's village that looked like it was spelled by a Welshman and then out the gravel "connector" to the Cassiar HWY and up to Stewart, BC.

If I lug it - 41 . . . If I keep it from 5500-6500 RPM . . . 40 MPG.

It does making range estimates easy. ;)

And I get 40+ miles on reserve.

Kurt
    Pariahtize likes this.
  12. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...I'm averaging 36 mpg; best was about 38; worst just under 35.

But with the supertanker 7.9-gallon Safari tank my low fuel light usually doesn't light up until 240-250 miles, so it hasn't been a problem. Usually holds around 6.5-7 gallons US when I fill up.

Wings Exhaust, de-smogged, canisterectomy, etc., etc. - usually running with KTM soft bags, which I'm sure add some aerodynamic drag. YRMV.

But, I didn't buy this bike for its mpg capabilities :lol3
  13. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    The worst was around 125 to fuel light , that was all two track and a lot of deep loose gravel the best was 265 miles and the light was on for the last 60 miles down hill all the way to Canon City and I was stretching it as far as possible cause I didnt want to push it . My avarage is 180 to 195 to low fuel light . Stock jets with lifted needles and nothing attached to the motor that doesnt enhance preformance . SEYA
  14. M.Mars

M.Mars híppos leukós

Oddometer:
    04 Adv S Mefo tire
    When new to me with ~18k miles yellow at 110
    After SAS/EPC/Cannister removal, new waterpump, H2W jets 0-2000, UNI Pre filter and other small things ... 160
    Valves are still crapped out just haven't had the time and the right tools to get to it. And need to get after market can's because I didn't take the cat off yet but did take off the SAS. Also I ride around NYC/North NJ area so alot of stop and go sometimes two up.
  15. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
    I bank on 30mg when I figure my mileage, offroad, for rides.

I get 33mph if I'm 'looly-gagging'.

I've gotten over 40mpg only twice ~ both times on the interststate, without panniers, following a DRZ400. :lol2
  16. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    I with James Brown on this one.

In traffic I ride it like it's stolen and get terrible gas mileage.

When free riding or on a trip my yellow light comes on around 150 miles.
    Ever since I ran out of gas in Utah and was stranded for four hours I never push the yellow light.
  17. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the "reset" in the 15-minute idle reset?
  18. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I have noticed the same thing; then I just read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_shifting
  19. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 950 is fairly new to me, so I'm just getting to know her. Jetting is not right on the bike for my altitude, but here is the current gas mileage info:
    • Current Mileage: 23,809 miles.
    • Miles to low fuel light: 148
    • Total miles to fill-up: 155
    • Gallons to full (on sidestand, as always): 4.60
    • Average MPG on tank: 33.7 mpg
    • Info on the bike and riding style:
      • Pretty standard 950. Very well maintained by PO.
      • Bike was previously in Florida at sea level, but it's now at 1,000 ft. It acts like it's running rich (hard to start), and it even smells like it's rich. (Sniffer dyno work is in my future!)
      • Canister and SAS still in place.
      • Gualdi "KTM" branded cans installed
      • New Scropions front and back.
      • Very sedate riding style -- currently just commuting on the bike.
  20. bdefen

bdefen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boise, Idaho - In the heart of Dual-Sport Paradise
    I have an '06 950 Adv, 18,000 miles. SAS/canister removed. Head 2 Wind rejet (sweet!) UNI pre-filter, FMF pipes, Facet fuel pump. Usually run front tire at 30 lbs, rear at 35. Over the Lolo Motorway a couple weeks back I got 28 mpg on 10% ethanol. Steady highway riding on 100% gasoline (which you can still get in Idaho) I get 42 - 44 mpg. Ethanol blend seems to nick the MPG by about 5% - 10% or so. It's crap. In terms of distance, one time, I got 202 miles before the yellow light, and my worst was probably 155 miles until reserve. Have never tried to go more than 20 highway miles on reserve. For dirt/off-road trips, I keep fuel stops to no longer than 100 miles apart, if possible.:1drink