950 Maintenance experience?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Lone Ranger, May 2, 2004.

1. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have finally decided that I need a 950! I would like to get the best deal but also deal with a dealer that has a good service reputation.

If anyone can let me know of their experience with dealers in the San Diego area regarding service, cost and purchase I would appreciate it.
  2. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I go to NYC (North County Yamaha) Tim does all the 950 work and lucky me he is the same guy I have used for all of my bikes for the last 15 years.I'm happy with the shop and Tim is a great Mechanic
  3. Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I have been talking to the people a NCY. They seem like good folks to deal with. They said that Tim used to have his own shop but now is working for them exclusively doing KTM maintenance.

I live downtown so NCY is a fer piece, but it would be worth it for good service and they seem neqotiable on the 950.
  4. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Are you dealing with Phil if so tell him I said Hi and that they came highly reccomended but they need to get right with the price Also see if they are offering a service contract it maybe worth it on the 950 I know they had one for the 640 I bought there and I did not buy it and would have saved $$ if I had I bought ny 950 from a dealer in Indiana as there where no S model in Ca at that time
  5. Desmofan

Desmofan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto on NCY: that's where I bought my 950 a week ago (first dirt ride today, wheeee :D ): a class act. I understand there is a mechanic that ONLY works on 950's (Tim?). I tore my bike apart Sat (cuz you gotta learn your bike), to remove EPC and charcoal crap, and found NCY had already been in there-correct vent lines to the carbs and EPC ports plugged with screws. Kewl!

Go see Robin the saleswomen-very sweet and knowledgable. Tell her Roger sent you :thumb
  6. Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any experience with Rocket Motorcycle in San Diego?
  7. Desmofan

Oddometer:
    They are a little "different" :huh , but a good small shop. I rode their demo, Mark the owner usually wants list. They have a good reputation for service though-
  8. Trione

Trione n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought my Supermoto and my 950 from Rocket. I've got my first service scheduled on my 950 a week from today so I'll let you know how that goes. I thought they gave me a good price on the 950, below list though it was a "old" 2004 sold in 2004 (silver rims and the manuals are for a 2003 even though the VIN shows it as a 2004).
    My Supermoto was one of the first sold in the US, they got it set up with no problems.
  9. Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    Took my 950 in for the first service. North County Yamaha has been great to work with as far as buying the bike and the parts people are great. The 600 mile service is $451 (5.5 hours plus parts) without the oil and filter change!!!! They said they knocked off one half hour for not doing the oil change. The normal price qouted is $525 for the 600 mile check. I changed the oil and filter myself as there was a two week wait for service. I think this is excessive, how does it compare to other dealers?
  10. Desmofan

Oddometer:
    That's my experience at NCY, but one thing I was pissed at: the carbs are OFF THE BIKE to do the 600 mile, yet they are charging me $52 to lift the needles one clip (that would take me 5 minutes at home) :baldy. Wouldn't argue :huh
  11. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    my 600 svc was closer to 7 bills up here in northern ca and they did not update the carb vent lines or put a bigger oil jet thing on the clutch.
  12. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What shop, Mookie? Scuderia?

And I thought the maintenace on my now sold Cagiva Gran Canyon was expensive. :huh
  13. Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    That was not included on my service either. $700 is aburd for no more than 4-5 hours work!
  14. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    actually i had some extra stuff done so it was probably closer to 500. still a butload of money. I cant really complain since they got the bike running much better and caught a couple things wrong under warranty.
  15. Trione

Trione n00b

Oddometer:
    I just had my 600 mile service done at Rocket in San Diego. I think the bill was about $350 but I had it included as part of the purchase price. They didn't want to remove any of the emission stuff ( I already had) but they worked on the carbs and the thing runs great now.
    I removed the cannister, the epc stuff was blocked and I was getting some serious popping thru the Remus cans off throttle before the service, now the thing runs like a champ. It seems like they did a very good job, they also have mechanic that has been trained by KTM for 950 work. The whole shop stayed late on a Saturday to finish my bike up so I could ride, I can't complain.
  16. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Great thread SD guys. I'm seriously considering a 950 as well and am glad to know that NCY seems to know what they are doing w/r/t service. I have had some mixed results there with my KTM 525 EXC and my son's KTM 65 SX. I like the guys at Rocket but wonder if they are really knowledgable about the 950. What kind of prices were you getting if I might ask?
  17. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    Well good no your bike is all set to join us at NYC for our Sunday ride This will be a great ride to learn about some of the best big bike riding I have found since I have owned my 950 7am at NYC Sunday June 6
  18. Desmofan

Oddometer:
    As long as it doesn't get too crazy-I've got a whopping 800 miles on the 950, about 50 of it on fireroads and Nate's Grade...

I paid $11400 OTD at NCY, first service was $500, and they forgot to tighten the coolant tank cap so it flew off within a few miles (but to their credit got me another one overnight-probably backrobbed off the showroom :lol3 )
  19. Greg Minor

Oddometer:
    I suspect we will have all level of riders none of the trails are more than jeep roads all of them pretty well groomed come along if you ever want to bail out we will never be more than 15 miles from any paved road