950 Questions

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by tugs4fun, Apr 10, 2004.

1. tugs4fun

tugs4fun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have just purchased a 950 KTM and have a few questions that I hope you all can help me with. I am very happy with my shiney new Black Beauty.

#1 how long did it take to get the "free" bags" that is being promoted on the 2004's?

#2 I have the wire connected that adjusts the advance on the timing(?) and it runs much better and am using the highest octane fuel available, 93, and the book says 94 is the minimum. The dealer says no problem. With the wire un connected the bike surges and hesitates on acceleration.

#3 What oil is everybody using in the States. I will be going to Alaska and would like to find the best and most available oil and how often is everyone changing oil.

#4 Chain lube, in the dirt I have been using Chain Wax and it seems good. What is being used and how often do you lube?

#5 I am getting about 46 mpg at somewhat steady speeds of 50- 60 mph. Is this about right. I am concerned that in Alaska where I am going about range. Has anyone figured how to carry a small amount of gas with them on a temporary basis with out blowing your self up?

#6 Starting--I am in Florida and she starts fine with about 1/2 choke when cold. When hot no throttle and it cranks whey too much for me. Any suggestions?

Great bike and am looking forward to lotsa miles and back roads!

Tugs
  2. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try posting this in the big mean nasty forum.
  3. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Don't think ANYBODY has recieved theirs yet :dunno

Well, that wire DOES retart the timing. Crappy performance should be expected. Also, I run mid grade and haven't had a problem.

So far I've burned less than a quart (less than 1/2 actually) in 3500 miles. So I've used the Motorex.

I started with BellRay's chain lube but it picked too much sand. Now I just use a bit of WD40 to clean and lube. It's an O-ring (or X-ring) chain. So keeping it rust free and clean is the important part.

That's better than most. Seems like most folks have a hard time getting much over 38-39 MPG. No ideas for extra gas.

When warm just a slight crack in the throttle and mine starts right up. It won't start cold without some throttle.

Yup, you have the bike for it!

Gerg
  4. MotoMatt

MotoMatt Slacker Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hi Tugs!

I just picked up my '04 950 (Orange of course!) last week down here in Miami. This is the most fun bike I have ever owned!

Regarding the fuel octane rating: The book says 94 ROZ (or RON) minimum. The octane rating of the pump gas down here is not rated in ROZ, it is actually Pump Octane Number (PON) that is an average of Research Octane Number (RON or ROZ in Germany) and Motor Octane Number (MON): PON=(RON+MON)/2
    RON is always higher that MON so if the PON is 93, RON is at least 94 and most probably a bit higher.
    With a PON of 93, you should be just fine with the ignition advance modification wire connected.

When you going to Alaska? Tell me more.

Matt
  5. Grover

Grover Blinkenlights Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats! :D

Lots and lots of threads and opinions out there on this with a little bit of searching. I'm curious to try White Lightning wax-based lube from the bicycle side myself but aside from that you're going to find almost as many answers to this question as people.
    Mine was super hard to start brand-new. It's been getting much easier now that I'm done with the 600mi break-in. If I turned off the bike for just a moment, it starts right up, but if it had been sitting for a few minutes to an hour, it likes a little bit of choke and a little bit of throttle in my experience if you don't want to stress the battery.
  6. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just received mine today, about five weeks total time.
  7. tugs4fun

tugs4fun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys.

I guess when I get the 600 mile check and get a few more miles on the starting issue should be over.

My son (his 950 is coming)are taking the Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) from Bellingham Wa. on July 9, to Haines Alaska and from there we ride up to Anchorage and Denali and the Kenai areas. We will ride back to Bellingham through BC. My son has only 2 weeks which is rushing it a bit.

Thanks againg for the comebacks.

Tugs