950 Rehab

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MadM, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Matej and I come from a small central European country Slovenia (NOT Slovakia). I opened this thread to keep all my bike related stuff in here instead of messing up a lot of different threads.

So about 2 months ago I sold my much loved 640 Enduro because of a knee injury I got at the beginning of the 2016 riding season on EXC300 and a lack of time (full time job, moving to gf, getting a college degree in mechanical engineering,...). But unfortunately I just couldn't bare to watch that empty spot in the garage where my LC4 used to sit. So after a few agonising weeks searching around the web of what my next bike would be, I got some help from inmates here on OC in the "which 9x0 to buy thread" and reading threads like Pyndon's 950 story, getagripgreg's build report, FlanyMobile and Mision creep I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2004 KTM 950 Adventure with 88.000km on it. Unfortunately it is to cold here to ride, so I couldn't do an inspection ride and also had to trailer the bike home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So a bit about the bike as it sits:
    - 88.000km on it
    - 6 PO's
    - First colour, and from the looks of it, never off-road
    - Small scratch on the left side
    - Needs chain and sprockets

Lots of extras on the bike:
    - SM and EXC front fenders
    - Touratech wire headlight guard
    - KTM PowerParts Touring screen
    - Touratech fog lights (L/R)
    - KTM PowerParts GPS bracket
    - KTM PowerParts touring seat
    - KTM PowerParts crash bars
    - KTM PowerParts rear racks
    - KTM PowerParts Gobi side cases
    - Random rear top case
    - KTM PowerParts side stand enlargement
    - 2x Akrapovič exhaust (been on the bike from 2016, less than 5000km)
    - Orange frame guards
    - Good set of Heidenau K60 tyres

I probably missed a few things on the bike, but those are most notable ones.

Got it back to the garage late in the evening so I only took a few indoor pics
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So my plan for the bike is to have it as a road/commuter bike with some light off-road thrown in the mix to keep it fun. But before the season starts it will receive some love:
    - General cleaning
    - A full service with all new fluids and filters
    - New chain and sprockets
    - Water pump rebuild not needed post nr. 71
    - Grasing swing arm bearings
    - Checking and greasing wheel bearings
    - Changing wheel bearing seals

- New battery
    - New spark plugs
    - New brake pads and fluid all round
    - New brake pedal bearings

- Replacing steering head bearings, seals and cover
    - Susppension refresh (waiting for funds)
    - Fresh balancer shaft seal post nr. 70
    - Removing all the SAS, EPC,... crap if it is still on (already gone)
    - What ever else I find beneath the plastics that needs sorting
    -
    TECH TIP: Changing the oil without disassembling half of the bike post nr. 136

As for the mods, for now I will keep it simple (update 1.04.2019):
    - Wiring for my Garmin 60CSx post nr. 38
    - Rade Garage V6 front screen
    - Battery pole extension kit from Flanny's thread
    - Side stand relocation post nr. 57
    - Oil drain hose kit decided not to use it - take 2 below
    - Copying a pre-filter kit from Pyndon Project finished post nr. 58 Removed in favour of ITG
    - 05/06 updated swing arm, if i can find one cheap
    - DIY lockable glove box post nr. 39
    - New 950 Super Enduro Chain guide
    - 05 950 ADV fan cap
    - Skid plate mounting studs post nr. 84

- Dual cooling fans with lower temp thermo switch post nr. 117
    - Luggage rack plate post nr. 118
    - ITG filter install post nr. 126
    - Side stand switch and gear position sensor (EPC) bypass post nr. 127
    - New ignition lock post nr. 142
    - Dr.Bean fuel pump kit post nr. 146
    - Moving regulator and starter relay post nr. 151
    - Remounting the fuel pump post nr. 157
    - Relocating the battery post nr. 159
    - Crankcase breather routing, take two post nr. 163
    - Triple Clamp Moto HDPE covers and second take at the oil drain hose post nr. 164
    - Carb work; TPS and Balancing post nr. 165
    - Race gas caps post nr. 168

That is about it for my plan for now. Will see what I uncover under those huge tanks.

But before I end with my post, I do have a few questions for you guys:

1. I can't decide on the chain, it will surely be D.I.D. but can't decide between 525VX or 525ZVM-X. The problem is that most online sellers offer a kit for 950/990 with 525VX bit it is only rated at 900cc while 525ZVM-X is rated at 1300cc. Is 525VX strong enough for a 950 with 17/45 combo? Front sprocket will be OEM and the rear from JT Sprockets.

2. Does anyone have part numbers for K&N filter and skin Pyndon used in his build and possibly a copy of the instructions? I would love a Rottweiler filter kit, but just can't justify the cost at the moment.

3. How damage/crack prone are the early 03/04 swing arms?

Thanks for all the hep and input!
    Cheers, MadM
  2. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    1: For the chain if going DID I have been aiming for the top of the line, try to buy one and have on the shelf when there is some deal going on, have purchased some cheapo chains also and plan to put some of those on the old 950 that is mainly a commuter and wear out some half worn sprockets.

2: Have the Pyndon solution, placed it on my dads bike when going CPR on my 990. But it requires some "baseplate" so its not really an easy thing to copy, well if you have access to a lathe and some material its not that advanced, but the foam filter Uni-filter pre filter is a bolt on solution, might require a little rejecting.

3: If there is no visible damage I would not be worried for commuting lighter off-road. Take it off and clean it up you can be sure the bearings need grease! And if you have no history I would send of the suspension for new oil and gas also.

/Johan
    MadM likes this.
  3. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello MadM and congrats on your new orange beast. I'm in the same boat as you, after I sold my beloved S10, so I'll be following this thread closely.

Regarding your question No1, I replaced the chain/sprockets combo with the 16/45 DID VX kit I've found off ebay at the good price. My trusted mechanic told me it won't last long,based om his previous experiences with the VX. Next time I'm buying the strongest one.

As for the swing arm, what kind of upgrades they've made from 2005 compared to the early version?
    MadM likes this.
  4. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all MadM, congratulations & well done. I owned a 950 for years & they seriously rock !!!!! :clap

& I gotta say that one you just brought looks like a sweet ride & in incredibly good condition for its age. Secondly, if you have to save up for the Rotty, do that, cos the pre filter changes are a no tools gig with the quick change glove box. Have a bunch of prefilters pre oiled in a zip lock bag & youre good to go.
    MadM likes this.
  5. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the reply's :clap

03/04 swingarm is a bit badly designed, compared to 05/06 swingarms. The problem lies in the suspension mount/leg reinforcement. You can fix the 04 one at home if you have alu welding equipment, all the info is here.

Thanks mate :beer Rotty is on the wish list, but probably not for this years riding season, that is why I am looking at Pyndon's setup for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Managed to slip out to the garage yesterday. Not much going on, just removed the Touratech headlight guard and KTM PP Touring screen to get them cleaned and up for sale. While I had good access to the GPS mount, I also switched PO's cradle with lockable TT cradle for my 60CSx, still need to sort out the wiring though.

Old credle with DIY alu brace on the KTM PP GPS holder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With my CSx cradle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will see which parts show up in few weeeks
    Fabnut likes this.
  6. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    I have thought of upgrading my swingarm, but have never gotten around to it. I now have 75000 miles on my '04, and so far have not had a problem with the original one, so I'm not so sure I need to worry about it.

I have never understood the reason for rating chains by cc instead of horsepower. I would think that horsepower would be the main concern.

Our 942/999 cc twins make less power than do a lot of 600 cc inline-4s.

MadM likes this.
  7. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think allowed torque is the best to rate a chain.

I used both the VX and VM-X, it will not snap but it is more a point of lifetime.
    MadM likes this.
  8. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    You are probably right, torque would be an even better measure than would horsepower.

So, I still wonder about the reason for using a displacement rating.
  9. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a little cleaning work on the bike. Took off that grime covered rear wheel and gave it a good scrub down. It was way worse that it seems in the picture, sprocket side had a lot of sticky goo from chain lube on it.
    [​IMG]

I checked the bearings, they moves smoothly with no free play, so I just took the seal off and re-greased them.
    [​IMG]

Shiny spokes :rayof with some light pitting
    [​IMG]

All clean, along with sprocket carrier, rear axle and axle blocks :wings
    [​IMG]

Next up is the swingarm, but that wont happen before next week, gotta go to school in the next 3 days :doh
  10. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    That brake disk looks pretty worn.
    Better check it out.

Well done so far, my neighboor.
    MadM likes this.
  11. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate :thumb The disk really looks worse than it is, less than 1mm edge on it.
    -----------------------------------

A snow storm hit today so I thought I could spend sometime working on the bike.
    [​IMG]

Got a few parts yesterday, a few seals, bearings and aluminium bushings.
    [​IMG]

I twanted to remove the swingarm, but got stopped quite quickly. The nut on the swingarm was so tight that I needed to use a bit of leverage. Got the nut off, just to realise that my toolkit doesn't support working on a BIG bike. I don't have a 12 allen key for rear shock bolts :cry So that was it for wrenching on the bike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did however found a small surprise
    [​IMG]

What should be in this hole, bellow the sticker?
    [​IMG]

Also have the OEM tool kit, probably missing a few things but it does contain that precious KTM bottle opener :hide
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I am going tool shopping for some big-rig sized tools :gun1 to get that shock and swing arm off. I would like to get the rear of the bike finished before I start tearing into the front part of it.
  12. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    When you install this, be sure that the flat edge of this hole engages the groove in the end of the shaft. Otherwise pump no workum.

[​IMG]
    426john and MadM like this.
  13. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    The hole near the sticker is for the 32mm wrench handler, the second tool from the left in your picture.
    ysr, AliveDK and MadM like this.
  14. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly...chains only understand the streching forces=torque.
    Ideally, you could have a bicycle chain transimitting 100hp as long as torque is low and revs are high.
  15. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not installing the dr bean mod. No more worries.
    juames likes this.
  16. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention that; I just happen to have a kit sitting on my bench right now. :D
    dooby and MadM like this.
  17. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess PO had a spare on the bike if it goes bad while riding, will see if it will be used during this rebuild.

dr bean fuel pump mod thread gave a good read. Bookmarked for future upgrades.
    -----------------------
    Just today I found out that I actually have a KTM PowerParts LOW Touring seat on my 950 (Part nr.: 60007040100). That explains why I can flat foot it. Also it gives me reason to believe that with this low seat I could still reach the ground with full "S" spec suspension on my beast. I have 32-33inch inseam. What do you guys think :hmmmmmI need to make up my mind before I send out my rear shock for service so I am in no hurry.
  18. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a bit further. Managed to get the rear shock out. But not without some struggling.
    [​IMG]

This is how the bottom bolt looked like when I got it out. I guess it has never been removed before.
    [​IMG]

Looking a bit sorry for itself.
    [​IMG]

Hydraulic preload still works, though the knob is quite hard to turn.
    [​IMG]

After some elbow grease and scrubbing it cleaned out nicely.
    [​IMG]

There is no free play or movement in the bushings (top&bottom), they should turn, right? :scratch

Still can't decide what to do with the suspension, keep it stock or get it up to "S" spec since I have a low seat :hide Does this H.O.W. post also applies to a 04 950?

Also I am having trouble getting swingarm bolt out :bash I think it is sized in there good, considering how all other bolts were. I will make a special punch at work to try and knock it out, hopefully without any damage to the bearings, axle and swingarm.

Thinking of going 16/45 instead of 17/45 for mixed riding, what do you think?
    AggelakasK likes this.
  19. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I'm not mistaken the oem sprockets are 17/42. I went straight from oem spec to 16/45 and imo is much better. If you do a lot of highway I would not suggest it because, if remember correctly, at 5000rpms it'll only do 110/115 km/h.
    MadM likes this.
  20. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi a 15 mm copper tube is a good drift, inmate Gefr sells baseplates for open air filters and an ITG you can get in Europe.
    Check out what inmate Mousitas has written about the open filters vs OEM.
    Besides which they're quite noisy.
    Good Luck with the new bike.
    MadM likes this.