950 Rehab

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MadM, Jan 8, 2017.

1. mattscott

mattscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of rehabing my 04 950 as well, so this is great to read!
    MadM likes this.
  2. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my last 2 rides, I noticed some head-shake at speeds between 50-80kph and a bit of jerking while braking, like I had ABS :scratch

So after the last ride it was time to strip the front of the bike at 11 p.m. :fpalm While at it I tighened up the steering head.
    [​IMG]

Brake discs are off and heading with me to work tomorrow for some spa treatment.
    [​IMG]

One of my co-workers treated the discs with some grinding. Left disc (from sitting on the bike) was quite bent and he had a lot of work to fix it.
    [​IMG]

In the end, he took 0,6mm material off the discs, they are straight and look brand new.
    [​IMG]

When I got home, I tackled the front wheel bearings. Took the old ones out, cleaned everything to a shine and and reinstall some brand new SKF bearings and seal.
    [​IMG]

All buttoned up and ready for a test ride, as soon as I get better.
    [​IMG]

I also received a Kriega tank harness so that I can convert one of my US-5 packs to a tank bag. I really like Kriega gear it is top quality.
    [​IMG]

Next up is new handguards. I really can't decide what to go with. I am on the fence between KTM PowerParts or Barkbusters VPS :scratch
    LocuL likes this.
  3. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    They do look nice, but what is their thickness now?

Maybe the first picture is deceiving, but the disc appears to be worn to thinner than spec, before milling.
  4. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are not the first to ask that, I could barley catch the edge with my finger. After grinding they are just under OEM service limit at 4.39mm thick. Will see how it goes and grips at the test ride. I only have around 2 months left in the riding season and hopefulyl they will suffice.
    MortimerSickle likes this.
  5. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a test ride today and everything got a bit worse :baldy :becca Brakes still feel like I have ABS and someone is pushing back on my brake lever, I guess I am in need of new rotors. I also noticed that there is a strange brake pattern on them, will try and post some pics or video of it later in the week.

Looking at aftermarket brake discs, they all appear to be thinner than OEM at 4.0mm compared to OEM at 5.0mm :confused
  6. MiniNL

MiniNL Dutchie in the US

Oddometer:
    I had good luck with the EBC ones. I bought the solid ones for about $100/piece. They have floaters too.
  7. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    You should be able to find aftermarket in the correct size. My Brand X rear measures 5.0.
  8. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My parts supplier just informed me that I am getting new rotors on Friday. 105€ each, NG brand 5.0mm thick. Big blow to my wallet, but riding like so is unacceptable safety hazard.
  9. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A bit late, but here are the pics of funny wear pattern on the re-ground rotors. I made a shor 30km ride with those mounted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today before mounting the new NG Rotors I cheeked fork alignment, re-cleaned brake pistons and calipers and checked brake pads for wear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I thoroughly cleaned the mounting surface with brake cleaner and some 600 grit sand paper to make sure everything is clean and flat before I mounted those new rotors. Hopefully this will cure that funny braking I had before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While at it, I also installed some other goodies to the bike. I bought KTM SXC Folding mirrors and a 16t front sprocket. I had good lock with those mirrors before on my ex-LC4 so it was just a matter of time before mounting a set on LC8 and as for the 16t sprocket, I have to say that with the 17t the bike is a bit boring to ride, yea it goes like a rocket but something was missing since I went to a 17t, so back to 16t :D I also removed the rubber damper of the sprocket. I really do not like those things...
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow is test ride day, fingers crossed all will be good :pope
  10. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Success!! Changing brake rotors worked and the bike is again stable and safe to ride. So I spent Monday and Tuesday on the bike, trying to use up those horrible K60's before I order a new set of knobbies.

On Monday I spent some time in Austria, going up to some ski-resorts and a couple of mountain passes. It all ended up with a short gravel run once I was back in my neck of the woods. A good 200km afternoon ride. Up high it was a bit cold for body armour and MX jersey.

First I went up to Koralpe ski resort
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up was Weinebene, a mountain pass between Wolsfberg and Deutschlandsberg.
    [​IMG]

On Tuesday I got up a bit earlier and saddled up for a long ride. I started out at 10 a.m. and was back at 8 p.m. I went to ride our countrys best mountain passes in-and-around TNP - Triglav National Park.

Most of transfer was again through Austria since I live very close to the border and they have great roads. This picture is from somewhere in the middle of my transfer to Ljubelj mountain pass, somewhere around town Ferlach.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first stop was on the Slovenian side of Ljubelj pass at the Mauthausen labour camp from WWII. A quick snack and a 5min breather before I continued my ride towards TNP.
    [​IMG]

From Tržič I followed a old mountain road towards Begunje na Gorenjskem, Jesenice and finally ending up in Planica, our nordic ski center.
    [​IMG]

From planica I headed into Italy, passing town Tarvisio before climbing up Predel pass. Unfortunately this road was so crowded with cagers that I dodn't stop for any pictures and also skipped the Mangart road, our highest going road here in Slovenia. I didn't stop untill I reached Bovec for a lunch in local hotel. Just after I filled up my stomach and bikes tanks I took a quick snap
    [​IMG]

From Bovec I followed the road up Vršič pass and again filled with cagers, vans, motor-homes,... It was a national holiday so I guess I should have know better to go too such a destination. On the way up, I had to stop one too cool off the bike, it was at 6 bars. I really need to invest in a second fan and a lower temp switch.

I rode up and over the pass as fast as I could and headed towards Korensko sedlo pass. Unfortunately it was closed on the Austrian side for repairs and I had to turn back and head towards Ljubelj, the way I came here. Transfer back home was quite fast on LC8, you don't really notice the 120kph in a corner unless you look at the speedo :hide

I got home late in the evening covering just shy under 420km. GPS showed 8h37min of moving, not bad. I did however got over another 1000 on my odometer
    [​IMG]

I have to say that the whole day the bike didn't miss a beat. It was a blast to ride. In the end I sat down on my driveway, opened a beer and admired the bike a bit more before I put it to sleep in the garage.
    [​IMG]

All-in-all it was great 2 days of riding :ricky
    Whitey1, chainbreaker, Maoule and 2 others like this.
  11. Dennis Walter

Dennis Walter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice pic''s, what beautiful scenery, thanks for sharing !
    MadM likes this.
  12. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I have been wrenching on the bike a bit lately. Those with more keen eyes might have spotted that I have added a HDB ADV top clamp to my 950 last time. I got it with a used HDB Rally Pro tower that I bought for my rally project, and since we have to use a bard pad on races I couldn't use it there so it went on 950
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trio of great products, TT GPS cradle, HDB Top clamp and a Kriega US5 as a tank bag.
    [​IMG]

Also a postman dropped off a package for me today. Finally I got some handguards and a duffel bag for my trip next month. For the guards I went with one and only Australian made Barkbusters. Really well made kit, had it on my previous bikes and love this product. It can take a lot of abuse without showing any wear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I got a SW-Motech DryBag 600 for the rear of my bike ,too keep my tent and all that stuff in. I pictured it a lot smaller but it is actually very huge bag.
    [​IMG]

Next up, I am waiting on a second fan, lower temp thermostat and some knobbly tires (MT21/E-09D) :D
  13. rocky86

rocky86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I met you in Jesenice that day ;) I was just coming back on tramac from forest roads around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MadM likes this.
  14. vanlierde

vanlierde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    try Moto-Master, https://products.moto-master.com/disk/?d=112102, you will need the brake caliper holder of a 990 adventure. I bought them from ebay, and as soon as I got the money I'm slapping those babies on my 950 adventure
  15. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember passing one LC8 near train station, that was you? It is great to see how entwined and diverse this community really is :thumb
    rocky86 likes this.
  16. rocky86

rocky86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MadM likes this.
  17. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I am getting my bike ready for TET Croatia next week and I used this as an excuse to upgrade the bike a little with some parts that I haven't gotten around to do before. Basically what I had in store for the bike were new tyres, front Pirelli MT-21 with Mitas E-09 Dakar on the rear. Both wheels got Michelin HD 4mm tube in them, since I don't want to do any trail side repairs with those fat rims and stiff tires.
    [​IMG]

LC8 looks mean with knobies :super
    [​IMG]

Next on the agenda was engine cooling capacity. I ordered a SPAL fan from E-bay and 85°C thermostats switch with fan cover from KTM. Oh and new rubber for shifter lever :D
    [​IMG]

First off, new rubber :D I had to put it in hot water for a few minutes to get it softer before I could stretch it across. Devil is in the details ;)
    [​IMG]

Next I check out the wiring diagram and splices in new cables for second fan. I crimped and isolated both leads.
    [​IMG]

Fitting the fan itself was a PITA :baldy If I would do it again, I would just buy a Twalcom fan kit and save myself some bloody knuckles.To mount the fan on the radiator, I used a few zip-ties, washers and some old tube from EXC.
    [​IMG]

You just push the zip-ties through the radiator fins and secure them with a tie head on the other side. It is the same principal as thou universal mounting kits that you can get on e-bay for a round €10.
    [​IMG]

For the final part of the cooling puzzle I added a EXC lower temp thermo switch. You really don't need too drain coolant for this. While removing the old one, just put your thumb over the hole and when your new one is ready to go on, slip you thumb away and screw the new unit in. Coolant loos is minimal. OEM blue and EXC yellow switch.
    [​IMG]

I really couldn't fit that fan cover over the fan, so I just doubled the layers of alu-heat reflective tape on the tank. It will be a nice winter project for make it fit.

Than I took the bike outside and let it idle for a while. Everything works just fine.

While reasembling the bike, I damaged the fuel tank balancing line and had a fuel flod in the garage :doh Luckily I had some spare fuel line at home to swap that cracked 13y old OEM hose out for a fresh one.

Now I am only waiting for a luggage plat that hopefully arrives from laser cutting this week :hide so I can RIDE the next :ricky :ricky
  18. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So... My last modification before heading out and conquering TET Croatia. I finally took the time to finish my rack plate design. I had it laser cut out of 5mm aluminium.
    [​IMG]

I needed to smooth the edges and counter-sink mounting holes. A quick test fit...
    [​IMG]

Plenty of room for removing the seat or carrying a passenger
    [​IMG]

Before premannently mounting it, I gave it a quick spray of black paint :) It looks factory :D
    [​IMG]

Well, that is it for now. Hopefully my next post will be a ride report of our week on the bikes ;)

Stay safe all!
    Whitey1 and Dennis Walter like this.
  19. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it has been almost a week since me and a few of my good friends finished out Croatian off-road tour and it is about time that I make a bit of an ride report. I wasn't sure where to post this RR, should it be in TET Thread or in the Day trippin' forum or here. I finally decided that I prefer to keep all my posts in one place, so here it goes.

5 riders started this trip. The group consisted of 2xLC8 and 3xLC4. Skill levels were all-over the place, from beginners to long time veterans in DS/off-road department, overall a great bunch of guys that made the whole trip a pleasurable experiance.

So all of us gathered at @hajoktejnSI place and headed out together. We have hit some gravel roads while still in Slovenia, heading towards Croatian border and picking up TET trail. A few kilometres into to the ride, we have had a bit of a setback. One of the riders, Hari on my ex-LC4, had a bad crash in a corner. It looked bad, but luckily he and the bike were O.K. to continue the ride, with a bit of a sore wrist.
    [​IMG]

LC4 needed some mechnaical attention, so we headed to the nearest fuel station, were we could borrow some bigger tools that we had on our bikes. The best thing about older bikes is that you can fix them with nothing but a hammer and a screwdriver :D
    [​IMG]

Bike was fixed, rider was in good shape so we pushed on towards the border and a small Croatian town Delnice. There we had a quick lunch, refuel our bikes and put our rain gear on. It started to pour down from the sky. Shortly after leaving Delnice, our route turned to gravel. Well at the begingn it was mostly soil and mud, very slippery. We continued on riding in rain all the way to Velebit. There the riding surface change to actual gravel and rocky tracks, also rain stopped and sun came out for a little while.
    [​IMG]

While the weather was fortunate, we took our first group photo
    [​IMG]

It was nice to be up here, on our bikes, with great people admiring the wonderful Velebit mountains and Adriatic coastline. Interesting thing here were wild horses, I didn't know we had anything like this so close to us.
    [​IMG]

We carried on riding those phenomenal TET tracks, until my LC8 developed a bit of an electrical condition. I lost all my lights. Headlight, rear light, Touratech Aux lights were all dead. Since it was getting late in the day, we decided to head towards Senj, our closest coastal town. I didn't want to wrench my bike in the woods and get stranded there in the dark. When we arrived at the petrol station in Senj a local guy stopped near us and asked: "Momci, trebate krevet?" (Friends, do you need a bed?). After short price negotiating, we followed him to a nice apartment building were we would stay the night. While the rest of the pack unloaded their bikes, I started wrenching on my LC8. After a good hour, I had it fixed, it was just a broken wire where I tapped in for the GPS power-line. I took a quick shower and we wnt in town for some beer and ČEVAPI :freaky

Next morning we were greeted with stable weather just like the day before, rain and wind :raindance
    [​IMG]

So we saddled up and headed back up the mountain, where we left off yesterday. The path was nice and flowing with some rocky sections in between. After a while it was time for our first break. It is quite exhausting to ride in the rain, with fogging googles, slippery surface and unknown trail.
    [​IMG]

While some were having a smoke, I admired the majestically views. Well I tried to imagine how it would look if it weren't for all that fog :lol3
    [​IMG]

The day went by quite fast. We didn't stop much for photos at it was pouring the whole day and a few pics that we actually made were from a quick shelter by the road overlooking our bikes. At the evening we ended up in a small town on the outskirts of Zadar, where @hajoktejnSI negotiated another great apartment for a stellar price.
    [​IMG]

Yet again it was time for a hot shower, cold beer and marathon drying of our gear.

To be continued...
  20. Dennis Walter

Dennis Walter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice country !

I like your headlight guard and windscreen on your LC8 - the headlight guard is a nice touch, looks good and functional.
    MadM likes this.