950 Rehab

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MadM, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    Yes

Just think....you dump the stock mufflers and they both weighed more and added to higher cog. Several modern bat choices for min weight. Always hated having the battery down there.
  2. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

The main reason for moving the battery for me was, getting the electrical stuff out of mud, water and other crap. After only one year of use, the battery looked worse than on my 450EXC.

Weight distribution is just added bonus and when funds are available for a lighter battery it should be unnoticeable.
  3. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crankcase breather, attempt nr. 2

Last year, whend I did the swap to ITG filter, I routed the crankcase breather like its natural bends allowed, back and down. Well that proved like a big mistake, because I got a oily mess allover left side of the engine.

So for the second take on this matter, I ordered a check-valve from a 990...
    [​IMG]

...and routed the pipe straight up as fars as possible.
    [​IMG]

Since now, I have a hot regular up here too and I don't want my bike to catch fire from any oil mist, I turned the hose with filter away from the regulator and towards ITG filter.
    [​IMG]

With everything mounted, there is still enough room between all the parts (filter, regulator and glove box)
    [​IMG]

Almost ready for first fire up in 2019 :clap
    mountaincadre likes this.
  4. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now it was time for some goodies to add to the bike.

First off, a set of TripleClamp Moto 950/990 HDPE covers for the engine. Great quality, perfect fitment.
    [​IMG]

Next, my second attempt at a oil drain hose. This time I had it made a little longer and from a bit thinner gauge hose than the first time around a few years back.
    [​IMG]

A little trimming of the centre tank support was necessary, nothing that would hinder structural integrity.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All nicely tucked in and away. Should make oil changes a 30min affair without disassembling half of the bike.
    [​IMG]
  5. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With that out of the way, it was time to see of this beast still has any life in it. Lets just say that it was a bit of a struggle to get it starting with a dead battery after sitting for 7 months of so. But with a set of jumper cables and my girls car she roared to life.
    [​IMG]

So with that out of the way, I could dig a bit deeper and fine tune the beast. Out came this nifty tool...
    [​IMG]

Yes, it was TPS adjustment time. I connected my cheapo voltmeter to it, and the reading was a bit low, but in spec.
    [​IMG]

I adjusted it to the upper limit as suggested in H.O.W., but had my doubts about the correct reading of that cheap 5€ voltmeter. So I called in a favour and got my hands on the "big guns", professional, calibrated measuring instrument.
    [​IMG]

The reading says a lot. I really enjoy working with quality tools. I didn't take the picture of the upper limit, just because I ran out of hands to hold all the stuff :knary So with TPS set at 0,6V-3,6V as per spec it was time to move to the other part of the carb work.

[​IMG]
    Who knows what I am doing?

It was carb balancing time and let me just say that it was quite a PITA job to do. First off, I have to give credits to @DirtyADV for his great idea for the cheap carb balance tool. And a word of advice to all that might want to try this on their own:
    1. If you have previously adjusted TPS, make sure you reconnect the cable! I didn't and my idle was allover the place, making carb balancing a long and stressful job.
    2. Use as thick oil as you can get in the pipe for a more precise and less sensitive inputs from adjustments.
    3. If you have ITG filter, you will need to remove the base plate if you want to reach the adjustment screw.

So with idle adjustments all over, I rev'd the engine to around 3000rpm, where the oil has settled so that I could adjust the balance. Balance should be good, engine even sound different, nicer, now.
    [​IMG]

Soon it will be time for final assembly and test ride :ricky
  6. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I synced mine at 4000ish rpm.
  7. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to sync mine at 6000rpm, but with open Akrapovic pipes and our quiet neighbourhood, they would hang or deport me :gerg
    nk14zp likes this.
  8. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Work continues...

Since I had to change the burnt out ignition lock a while back I was carrying 2 different key with me all the time, one new for ignition and one old for the seat and fuel tank caps.

Seat lock was easy to take care off, took it off, stuck in the new key and grind off all the pins that stick out too far. A 5 min job on a grinding wheel. On the tank caps, that seemed a bit too intrusive, since they are a lot more expensive, so I opted for the second cheapest option.
    [​IMG]

I had to take a weight measurement before mounting new tank throats, since they felt quite heavy and they are. Weighing in at 622g for each neck and cap.
    [​IMG]

Like with everything liquid, it is worth installing new gaskets every-time you take it apart.
    [​IMG]

OEM gas caps have all those additional holes for safety bolt and breather where as the race throat is flat on the bottom. That means front breather connection is now useless, you can just cap it off.
    [​IMG]

Here is how they compare:
    [​IMG]

Like I said before, this throat blocks OEM tank breather and tanks need to breath. So supplied in the order you get a nifty breather caps. No those are not one way valves you see on EXC/SX/XC models, it is just a stylish cap with a hole through it so the tank can breath both ways.
    [​IMG]

Those will stay on for a while now, until I figure out where to route vent tubes, like on a proper race machine.
    [​IMG]

Small steps, as soon as the weather improves I will be riding this beast again :) I might even have to take it with me to Rally Albania, since I can't get my 450 back to life for last 3 weeks...
  9. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    The aluminium part at the bottom is a one-way valve - it allows the engine to exhale, but not inhale. What do you expect the black bit on the other end to do?
    MadM likes this.
  10. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is just a small air filter from LC4 SAS system. A small precaution from inhaling unnecessary dirt.
  11. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    It won't stop oil vapour, so you'll still get an oily mess under the glovebox tray. Better exit that breather pipe in the base plate of the filter.
    MadM and Mane like this.
  12. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will find a better solution for this as soon as I have time. This was just to get the bike through the MOT :)
  13. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a short post to make. A good week back I finally did first 100km on the 950ADV, loved every single kilometre on it. Going on a group ride on Satorday, so maybe a bit more to report after that event :-)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ohh, before I forgot, got some extra 5hp from the bike using those awesome stickers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    VittoXVIII, mountaincadre and Masso75 like this.
  14. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: