950 SE Head light & dash ideas...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Diamond Dave, Sep 23, 2008.

1. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    spot light

Attached Files:

2. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Come on now. How many of you are racing desert in the night?

From a design and engineering standpoint, the original front of the SE is beautiful, and form follows function.

When I ride mine on the highway at 70 to 80 mph, there is little turbulence, compared to my GS. And when you stand, the air is pure. Certainly, a wind tunnel was used by the engineers to design this cowl/light. It is beautiful. All the modification stuff is aerodynamically mediocre and ugly, IMHO.

[​IMG]
  3. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't raced in 30 years. But I ride day/night year round in the desert on and off road. The stock light is weak. However, I agree when I have the bike set up in SM mode with the stock light mask on it, its way smoother and quieter than the Marathon set up and waaaaaaay smoother than my 1190R.
  4. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I built a carbon/kevlar dualie setup.

The dash

[​IMG]

I run two low weight poly lights that have survived well. I have them wired so I can run or both on low and both on high. I eventually killed one of the LED spots (the one I'd pulled apart to check the waterproofing on :eek1). They are dimmed and wired to come on with the parking light, stay on low with the headlight and default to full power on high beam.

The indicators are some UK brand IIRC, very small, very good, but cost over $100.

I've cartwheeled the bike onto this setup and it survived.

I built it so I could add a screen easily if I wanted to, but with most riding having been done in Asia, I prefer the airflow.

[​IMG]

I have the BJ Squadron LED headlight - with dimmer - on my 525 and think its great for that bike... but at the speeds the SE runs, it needs more.
  5. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    While I was at it, the other thing I did was piss off those appalling CAV switches. I went to the ones sold by Highway Dirt Bikes (love his gear). I have their separate momentary switches for start / kill... with the kill mounted where it can be reached with my throttle hand thumb... and the combined light switches on the left bar.

I might go for something different for the main switch block next time... but I like the way that kill switch works.

Here's my bracket setup. Weighs next to nothing. I doubt it would have survived the cartwheel (which definitely hit on the light rim... took the whole bike/luggage weight) without the kevlar. I'd make V2 slightly different - I'd make a bolt-on front face with the lights and a mounted box to contain the wiring that stays with the bike.

[​IMG]
  6. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    That is one GREAT photo, Big Fella! :clap:clap:clap

If I were dodging elephants in the middle of the night, instead of the deer around my neighborhood, I'd do that conversion as well. But most of my riding is during the daytime, when the deer are usually bunkered in for the day.

No question, though, that your SE certainly qualifies for a "Military Grade Jungle Assault Vehicle"! :lol3
  7. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    Ha ha.... you should see the next photo there.... that bull elephant stuck his dick out.... or, should I say, his fifth leg.:eek1
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    Did make any buildup Pictures of the beautyful dash?
  9. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    I'll take a look and see what's there. Here's the dash, fresh from the mold

[​IMG]
  10. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    OK... here's a few more photos.

The mold plug

[​IMG]

First step in making the mold

[​IMG]

Finished mold

[​IMG]

Here's a look down inside, as we started to piece the frame together. The imperfections in the face plate are from the vacuum bagging. We really sucked the resin out. IIRC there's 7 layers of carbon and two of kevlar in it. The kevlar is there so that it wouldn't shatter under impact. We didn't vacuum the dash... its simply a carbon layup. We bogged those imperfections and painted it black.

[​IMG]

There's three gussets to go in at that stage, plus the dash. I put that photo in to show how I'd do it differently next time. I'd make that top and bottom plate part of a box that would mount to the bike... with the face plate as a bolt-on piece, mating to a flange.

Crappy photo, but you'll pick up how we did it. Here it is with the flanges in.

[​IMG]

I eventually broke that bottom gusset join.... which was after a run in with another bloody elephant which tossed the bike (and me) 10' through the air. It was easily fixed though... with a bit of epoxy and carbon.... but it confirmed to me that the box idea would be better

First up though... the inside of the dash.

[​IMG]

I was going to make some trim rings to fit over the headlight brackets... but ran out of time before setting off on my trip
  11. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    I took on a similar project last winter. Here is my setup, Baja Designs Dual LaPaz 8inch HID. I ran a large diode between the low and high beam so the stock high beam switch would power both high (spot) and low (driving) beam circuits. But the low beam switch is isolated to only powers the driving light. You can see the large (20 amp) diode below. By adding it to a spare H4 male connector, I was able to leave the stock wiring harness unmolested! I prefer to always be able to go back to stock if/when I want.

[​IMG]

I was going to make a box to put all the wiring in, but I took the advice of others on this forum and just tucked all the wiring in an old inner tube. It protects the wiring really well (no sharp edges to rub insulation off wires) and it's water tight

Here are some pics:

Heating the CF resin after laying it out on a piece of aluminum scrap bent into the shape I needed.
    [​IMG]

My carbon fiber dash made from scrap CF.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the wiring that is normally under the stock headlight housing fits neatly in an old inner tube.
    [​IMG]

Others came to play last winter too. :D:D:D

[​IMG]
  12. The Bigfella

Oddometer:
    I like that inner tube idea.

One thought on the wiring. I ran a relay and thicker wiring for my lights, as I'd discovered some loading on the original wiring.

All my wiring work was assisted by a mate who does aircraft avionics work. I found it quite interesting and learnt quite a bit.
  13. RibRoy

RibRoy RibRoy

Oddometer:
    Will try to build something like this next winter

Attached Files:

14. RibRoy

RibRoy RibRoy

Oddometer:
    First proto

Attached Files:

15. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see more on how this is set up.
  16. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gavin, you just missed this same setup that was in the flea market a little over a week ago. It's sold now, but you can take a look a how it's designed though. A friend had the same BD kit on a Husky 501, but i think it was just too many watts for the stator to keep up with. I did get to hold the light kit in my hands before it was installed, and i felt very privileged.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/baja...orcycle-race-light-upgraded-complete.1414897/
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  17. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Yeah I actually just tracked this down earlier today. Turns out you can buy right from Baja! Not exactly cheap though.