950 SE Radiator problems and solutions

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alvincullumyork, Aug 29, 2016.

1. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    So everyone who owns a Super Enduro or know someone who owns a Super Enduro I recently found out that KTM in their infinite wisdom has discontinued the radiator for the SE and there are currently no aftermarket units being made. Super Trapp Industries/FPS Racing makes high quality aftermarket rads for most KTM dirt bikes and has aid that they might be able to make something up for the SE but they need to see a complete bike in person and I imagine take the radiator off. They are located in Cleveland OH so do we have any SE owners in the area and who are willing to help the collective?

This is an email I got back from them about the issue. Another thing that might be helpful would be to email them asking if they plan on making SE rads. the more interest they get the more likely they are to make them.

Thank you for your interest.
    There must be a few of you on a forum somewhere, as we got multiple request this morning for this application-we love it! Thank you.

We are going to look into this application. We would need a bike to do the work on, do you have any members in Cleveland area???

Jeff Wells
    Sales Manager
    SuperTrapp Industries
    4540 W. 160th St.
    Cleveland, OH 44135
    216-265-8400x125
    426john and Drwnite like this.
  2. Suhaj382

Suhaj382 n00b

Oddometer:
    That's on my way to work. How long would they need it for?
    Mr. Blue, 426john and Corsica101 like this.
  3. Falconfixer

Falconfixer It is what it is....

Oddometer:
    Just one guy? Surprising, since the KTM main office for North America isn't far from Cleveland.
  4. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I'm checking now.

Huh?
  5. Falconfixer

Falconfixer It is what it is....

Oddometer:
    It's in Amherst [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  6. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Well it's not looking great. He just got back to me about the radiator.

Our RD guy has been doing some research into it, that radiator is curved, we currently do not do any curved radiators.

It’s not a closed door however just yet. We need to do some more investigation into it.

Typically, when we do a radiator app, we like to have it for a week (M-F). Something like this would probably take longer. Usually works well with Cleveland winters when we can have something long term to work on, and then store it for the customer thru the winter (granted we do that for the Harley guys, you guys ride more more!!).

Thanks, keep you posted,

Jeff Wells

Sales Manager

SuperTrapp Industries

4540 W. 160th St.

Cleveland, OH 44135

216-265-8400x125
  7. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW.... Id probably pick up a spare to have on the shelf when/if someone steps up to reproduce them.
  8. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Contact them and let them know! The more interest they receive directly the more likely they are to start making them!
    Boatman likes this.
  9. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are y'all sure the part is NLA from KTM? It shows to still be available. Part #63035010000. It may be back ordered and take time to get, but it does not appear to not be available. Not that an aftermarket version wouldn't be better, but that is going to be a tough sell to a company to make a radiator for something with limited numbers such as the SE.
  10. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I called KTM customer service myself after KTM world and RMATV both told me it was discontinued.
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know what it takes to fit a 950/990sm or 990sd radiator?
  12. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Not yet....

I'm going to send mine into Mylers first to see if they can fix it. If not I'll be buying a SM rad and seeing if it will fit.
  13. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Okay so I grabbed a 950SMR rad off eBay. After checking the parts fiches for the SE, SM, and SMR there seems to be a few small differences between all three. The SE is the only that has tabs to mount the plastic rad guard but aside from that the SMR is identical, including the fan assembly. I'm assuming the SM would bolt up as well but I don't have in my hands some I'm not 100% sure. My plan for now is to send off my SE rad to Mylar and have them reinforce/repair the rad and use the SMR in mean time. I'm pretty sure I can zip tie the plastic guard in place but I'm pretty much only going to be on the road for the next couple of weeks so it should be fine either way. When I get my SE rad back I'll switch them out and send the SMR rad to Mylar and have them reinforce it and add the tabs to mount the plastic guard so I'll a spare.

Here are a couple of pics of the two rads, SE and SMR. The shinier one is the SMR rad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are a couple of pictures of the damage to my old one. I don't think it's to bad.

[​IMG]

This had been previously repaired but it left the lower mounting tab vertically worthless. I think this is what caused the upper to crack.

[​IMG]

14. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    Nice work. Thanks for taking the plunge & buying the SM rad!
    Mr. Blue and alvincullumyork like this.
  15. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Wonder if KTM is still producing SM radiators?
  16. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    SMR rad there is a difference! The SM rad has an extra tab, I think.

I don't think so but for the time being SM and SMR parts are usually fairly easy to find on eBay.
  17. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Update from FPS Racing. I was pretty sure that they weren't going to work out but now it is official.

18. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Update from Myler, here is the email chain;

Eric Myler
    3:47 PM (1 minute ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

Hello Lee,

Yes, we can repair and create new mounts for the radiator. If you have the parts, please send them with the radiator. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Thanks.

-Eric.

-Myler's Radiators.

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:23 AM
    To: mmylersrad@msn.com
    Subject: 950 Super Enduro Radiator Repairs

The radiator on my KTM 950 Super Enduro has started to come apart and is leaking to the point where it is unusable. It has been repaired at least once before but the bottom mounting tap was removed leaving only the top two. This caused the radiator to start separating at one of the top tabs because all of the weight was hanging with no support on the bottom. The top tabs are also starting to get stretched out.

My next problem is that KTM has stopped making the radiator for this bike which is a major problem because this a bike I want to keep forever so I have started to hoard spare parts. I bought a radiator from a 950 SMR that bolts perfectly into place but it is missing 4 tabs that a plastic radiator guard bolts to for the SE.

I have attached pictures of both radiators so you can see the differences and the damage to the original.

Will you be able to repair the original radiator, replacing the mounting tabs and the where it has started to separate? Will you be able to add the plastic guard mounting tabs to the SMR radiator? Would it be best to send you both radiators at the same time so that you can use them to get measurements for the tabs that need to be replaced and added?
    kampnman and MultiDoc like this.
  19. Corsica101

Corsica101 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ask if they can give it more volume as well

20. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tore the same tab off on mine, I fabbed a basic little t shaped bracket that picked up the 2 remaining threaded holes on the rad and the oil tank. It's been good since other than having to timesert every oil tank mount from rock and log stupidity!