950 SE Radiator problems and solutions

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alvincullumyork, Aug 29, 2016.

1. MultiDoc

MultiDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    950. I dont know if the 990 fits too.
  2. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I am bringing this thread back to life because you guessed it I have more radiator issues.

I mounted a brand new Golden Tyre Fatty up front and promptly blew out my fork seals at a race. Not one to quit when there is still a chance to win I kept on pushing hard wincing when I felt the hard bottoming out. I finished my lap and handed the transponder off to my team mate. Upon inspection of my bike I saw that the front tire was rubbing on the radiator and radiator guard. I think this is because the tab that Myler welded to the bottom of my SMR radiator is just a little to far forward and allows the radiator to sit closer to the tire than it should. Another guy on my team , @havoc1 I think, was running the same tire and his rad guard was just fine.

Going forward I ordered a Evotech Rad guard for a 950 SMR and I am going to look into have the bottom tab welded solid and re-drilling the mounting hole a little further back. Pictures to come.
  3. havoc1

havoc1 Big Bikes, Little Brains

Oddometer:
    So you're saying there's a chance you'll have Animal Mutha ready for the Desert 100??? Hoping to get my suspension back soon and resurrect the Punisher shortly. Bike broke me last time and I can't have that DNF for my last ride much longer!

I think that 950SE was Andrew S., but he and I were set up the same. Remember, my broke ass was walking around handing out beers and breakfast with only one working arm!

Man, I'd forgotten about that rub! I lightly squashed the lower row of fins on my rad from impact on the bash plate, but have never hit the radiator itself. Agree, even 3/8" forward on a tab could put it out there for that tire to snatch up. Did you have the SMR rad on there? I can't remember. Good info to have in my back pocket for the inevitable.
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I was running a 90/100-21 Pirelli mx hard last season and it's quite a bit taller than a typical 90/90 with no rubbing anywhere.
  5. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Sorry I can't remember screen names to real names. What's Andrew's screen name.

You're darn tootin I'll have it ready for the Desert 100. I'm going to win the $500 Konflict gift card! The Heavy weight team needs to be put in their place, behind me! If I can get my bike to hold together I can win it.

That was the SMR rad with the Golden Tyre. It is a 90/100-21 tire. It also may have been mud build up on the tire but I really think it was the tire itself.
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I've compared the brackets / mounts on the SMR/SMT radiator against the SE radiator and they are dimensionally identical - I'm thinking when you had yours repaired, they welded the lower centre tab incorrectly ever so slightly...

Wild shot here: are you running the stock triple clamps or something else?
  7. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    I am using the Scott's upper triple but that shouldn't change anything. I was also using the SMR radiator that still had all of it's original mounts. I was using my SE radiator without a the lower tab and an mt 21 before and know that I think about it I think I had some rubbing issues. I didn't realize it at the time but my plastic radiator guard was torn in the middle just like the one I had on the SMR radiator.

Hmm. Now I have to figure out why my radiator is stick to far forward.
  8. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Just talked to another friend who used to have a SE with the Golden Tyre fatty and he said his was rubbing at full compression as well. SHIT!!!

I guess I need to talk to Konflict about lengthening the stroke on the bottom and shortening it on the top.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I only asked to be sure that you're not running adv triple clamps for some reason as their offset would bring the wheel further back and cause a clearance issue but it sounds like you're chalking it up to extreme suspension bottoming :)
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  10. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Update: Well I go the Evotech Rad guard for a 950 SMR in the mail a couple of days ago. What's funny is all of the tabs I had Myler weld onto the the 950 SMR rad I bought so that I could mount the 950 SE plastic rad protector are in the way of the aluminum EVOtech guard. :doh:baldy

So I have two options. Grind the plastic rad guard tabs off the 950 SE radiator or grind the tabs off the SMR radiator. I'm probably going to do it to the 950 SMR radiator because they don't line up all the well anyway and because it is the way the radiator came. I am tempted to do it to my original SE radiator though because the bottom two cooling rows are already toast and I know I am going to have more tire rubbing issues.
  11. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    I was looking at plastics and just happened to notice that the 950 sm radiator still looks like it's available (at least on KTMWorld.) I assume that it's either different or not available in real life? While I'm on topic, it looks like KTM made rads for Aprilia at one time. Has anyone taken a look at these to see if any of em are close enough to work? (I had time on my hands. That's what I get.)
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yes, I believe the 950SM radiator is still available but the pricing has gone up drastically when I last checked. As for the Aprilia radiators, I did have a quick glance at a few because I had heard the same but didn't find any direct or close fits - checked Tuono, Dorsoduro 1300, etc.
  13. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    You should call KTMWorld and ask if they actually have them in stock, several places listed the SE rad as in stock but after calling or ordering they switched to back order or out of production. I am 95% sure that the 950SM rad will fit (with minor modification) but the 950SE rad protector will not fit on it, well it will with zip ties. The aluminum guard linked below will fit on 950 SMR and SM radiators but not SE radiators. I bought one for my 950 SMR radiator and had to cut off the tabs that I had Myler weld on for the SE plastic guard. It also rattles around quite a bit but a little duct tape has that fixed for now. I am still having front tire rubbing issues but Alex Martins from Konflict thinks that is a fork problem. My suspension is headed out to him shortly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-950-SM-...-Mesh-Grill-Evotech-Performance-/251895348729

I plan on organizing and summerizing all the information in this thread and putting it in the original post eventually but it is a back burner project.
  14. havoc1

Oddometer:
    Front burner for me bro. I'll get the exact words, but rad shop just called and mine is unrepairable...by him anyway.

So, imma order something. 950SMR radiator and that guard on eBay? Gotta get you your SE radiator back!
  15. havoc1

Oddometer:
  16. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    If I were you I would do this in this order....

1. I'm in no rush to get mine back, use it until I am.

2. Take a picture of the damage on yours and send it to Myler. I bet they can fix yours.

3. Call KTMWorld and make sure they actually have one in stock, I bet they don't though.

4. Troll ebay for a 950 SM or 950 SMR or SE radiator. Hey look I found one! Also get the aluminum radiator guard for the SMR rad.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-950-SM-...ash=item1c825bf3e1:g:NgkAAOSwfVpYoHgA&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-950SM-9...ash=item465c1894da:g:NWIAAOSwEzxYdUr5&vxp=mtr

5. You can try and see if one of the 990 variant radiators will work but I'm betting it won't (I would love to be proved wrong though).

6. Hope and pray that Aprilla acutally used a KTM radiator that fits and then hope and pray you can find one.

7. Buy a second 950 SE as a parts bike....
    FriedDuck and havoc1 like this.
  17. havoc1

Oddometer:
    As soon as I finish in the DMV (*if* I finish; truck registration), I'm going to retrieve mine. Looks like I'm driving right by Myler's on Thursday enroute to the Rocky Mountain Rallye.

Hey, what's that tab on the bottom of the SMR rad on eBay? Did yours have it? Just grind it off?

Radiator guy said I have a hole in one of the tubes. Doesn't want to work it. Afraid it'll fail and I'll be pissed at him. Good dude, so that sucks.

63035110000 950 smr
    60035010000 990
    63035010000 950se
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    If you are prepared to get creative with the rad guard and how you mount it (zip ties, etc.), the 990 SMR / SMT radiator will work.
    havoc1 likes this.
  19. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    It's a 950 SM radiator it looks just like the one on the micro fiche. Just grind it off. Either use zip ties and the stock rad guard or the evotech guard. The evotech is much better as far as protection goes though.
    havoc1 likes this.
  20. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    @alvincullumyork

How did you make out with the Evotech Rad guard? Did you end up using it?

If so, any photos?