950 SE rear shock.

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Pitster, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Trying to help a friend find a stock or good aftermarket shock for a 950se. Any suggestions or know of any used for sale? His is blown and either needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Thanks
  2. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Why not rebuild it? For the the cost of a used one, you could probably have one of the various suspension shops rebuild and revalve the blown one.
  3. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My rebuild cost €165, also blew the seal.
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rebuild is WAAAAYYYY cheaper than even a used shock. Seal heads are cheap. Any good dirt bike shop could do it.
  5. SFKLR01

SFKLR01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could never make peace with the SE suspension, even after re-springing twice, re-valving. I'd recommend an ohlins--if they make one for the SE.
  6. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Rebuilding will be way cheaper and the sticker does a decent job for everything but the hardest of hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rebuild with oem seals and synthetic runs about $135. The issue with the shock is that it is a PDS bike with a non PDS shock. In other words the shock has no secondary bottoming device as the 990 has.
    Same with Ohlins you will not benefit. Just need to re-valve what you have and that works quite well. Not race ready but heck of a lot better than stock and most are not at race pace anyhow.
    Then if you want to go to the next level go to a progressive spring. It needs to be done properly but if so works really well. It is much easier to dial in a straight rate and many do not benefit but your bike would. On the SE it is about bottoming resistance while keeping the top of the stroke compliant.
    Just took 8th in the Tennessee Knock Out last weekend with a progressive spring. The set up was refined for EnduroCross next week in GA, not hard enduro. Rider Noah Kepple says still worked quite well.
    Have not looked at Konflicts shock but he has lot of happy customers from the posts I read.
  9. the come back kid

the come back kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would consider selling my 07 stock unit, about 5k of mostly street miles. I need to figure out what it is worth
  10. the come back kid

the come back kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new one appears to be over $1,100, I would sell it for $500 shipped
  11. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that. Who wants to buy a used one. They don't really break and you can always rebuild them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    001.jpg I got a wilbers on my super and its a good thing,I got it in used but low useage condition,just put the oem spring in it and have been happy with it.This shock was $1600 oz dollars to build.
  13. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The SE shock isn't particularly that good. KTM literature lied to us....said it was PDS. Touratwats have a shock listed for the SE. Cant view their site for a price....
  14. MultiDoc

MultiDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't wanna know Charlie... high up four figure price tag... :(
  15. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    PowerCell is the only Ohlins available. He machines his own mounts for the Ohlins TTX shock specific for the SE.
    touratech sells an aftermarket shock that has gotten some decent reviews.
    SPS and Konflict are pretty well known SE shock rebuilders that have a good following for SE shocks.

I blew mine out a while ago but got it fixed locally in that price range ($125ish?). works fine. At some point the original owner of my bike had the suspension redone by SPS. seems to work fine but since I ride my bike a bit harder sometimes, I'd be interested in trying something different next time. After I get back into riding my SE more. :)
  16. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is some European company offering some Öhlins suspension solution front and rear for the big KTMs has been up on here before. But not sure if anyone on here have tried that solution but for Europeans it would probably save lots of money compared to buying from the US.

/Johan
  17. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Touratwats :lol3 Why would anyone in their right minds spend that kind of dosh when Ohlins PDS is available.
  18. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure Ohlins (from the factory) is available. The Powercell setup was made for the SE as I don't think Ohlins has a bolt in solution for the rear.

I could be wrong. Someone in euro was offering a SE rear Ohlins but no one was able to find out for sure what shock it was and if it would fit the SE (different from the adventure shock)
  19. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what symptoms in the oem shock are you trying to eradicate? The oem shock is a very high quality shock but does not have a secondary bottoming device for end of stroke. Changing brands does nothing unless there is some mechanical advantage. I do not see that being addressed.
    Worked with a Baja team a couple years ago and they had high end aftermarket shock that ends with an X on CRF-X. Had been valved more than once. We compared the shock to our race set up on the Oem Showa and every rider chose the Showa hands down. They are still racing the Showa.
    Is is about coolaid?
  20. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the Showa plug and play? I seem to remember someone on here sourced a rear shock that fitted the SE....cant for the life of me remember the brand.

Only way I can get on with the SE shock is run it on comfort setting, that said I've been meaning to get it set up for me by someone who knows what they are doing. :rolleyes