950 SE rear shock.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pitster, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i don't know if it moves, but if you want it to, try some heat. Use a propane torch and get it hot but not to the point of glowing or melting. Focus the heat around the collar, you want the heat to expand the collar and give you more room. See if you can move it with some heat applied.
  2. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh, had heat. The whole assemble was rusted out....
  3. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For future reference. It is three parts, including seal. After a soaking for two days, heat.....hydrochloric acid.... and scares.

20190621_180919.jpg
  4. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread, I just read through this as I sourced a '12 990 R shock for my SE! I am having it serviced and considering keeping the 245mm height as I am 5'11" 180lbs (with a 30" inseam). I am going back to a 90/90-21 from long-term 90/100-21 front tires after making contact with my radiator guard and mount with the GT723R, so that will lower the front 9mm. I previously used the Motoz HT Desert front and don't recall making contact, but not going to take any chances.

I was considering a 130/225 spring to replace the 150/225 that is currently on the shock but curious on going to a progressive with this Adv R shock. Has anyone experimented with a progressive spring? I was thinking 12.5-14.5 or 13-15kg rates. I know the stock SE shock improved greatly in my experience being a non-PDS (or lesser variant) shock. Thanks for any feedback!
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    If what you have is a 225 spring then it’s not an advR shock. Those have either 255 or 265 springs (in either 140 or 150 rate)...
  6. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the case for a 2012 advR? I thought they have 245mm travel.
  7. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. HiOctaneOverland

HiOctaneOverland Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I purchased my 950SE it had the standard spring on it, which as Alon says is a 14.0/215, and it is way too hard for most riders. The back end has no compliance, bounces off the slightest bump and is generally unpleasant. This spring has the same physical dimensions as the spring from a 950SM, but the lowest rate spring that WP make to fit either an SE or SM shock is a 13.0/215

For those of you asking about spring numbers:
    14.0 is the spring compression rate (14.0kg/mm is the same as 140N/mm)
    215 is the free (uncompressed) spring length in mm
    And, if required, the last number would be something like 59, meaning internal diameter in mm.

Note, spring length and suspension travel are two different values. The standard SE spring is 215mm long, but the suspension has an available travel of 255mm. This is due to the geometry of the spring/shock combination and swing arm length giving the distance of the axle from the swing-arm pivot point.

I did some measuring on my bike and wanted to get sag settings about 10% of total travel for static sag and 30% of travel for rider (racing) sag. I weigh about 190lbs maybe 195 with all my kit on and even a 13.0 spring wouldn't give me that.

So, someone suggested to contact Cannon Racecraft, OK. They custom wound a spring 12.0/215-59 for $139.95 + shipping (three years ago, might be a bit more now.) And the customer service was superb, I can't rate them highly enough.

That spring transformed the bike. No more hard and bouncy, much more soft plush and control. I can get the sag settings I want (10%/30% of total travel) so the set up is very similar to a lighter enduro bike. If I start to carry a lot of luggage for the TET or something like that I might need a stiffer spring to counter more weight so I can always refit the OEM 14.0 or see if I can find a secondhand 13.0 from an SM (although from experience they're pretty rare).

In summary, for my money I wouldn't look to fit an ADV shock with all the messing about it entails. Keep the standard shock with a custom spring and get exactly the suspension performance you want.
    singlewideteamusa likes this.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
  10. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    My understanding is the heavy spring was due to the shock not having progressive dampening. The heavy OEM spring was to reduce/eliminate bottoming. I think Konflict does some valve Mojo along with installing a progressive spring to make it more compliant/ride-able. After two years and a shit ton of trial miles, I like what he's done with my suspension.
    t-dub likes this.
  11. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking a look Alon. Are you able to elaborate because I am confused? The fiche states it is a 2012 advR.

My perception from earlier in this thread and elsewhere is that the ‘11 and ‘12 R models had decreased travel to 245mm, hence the shorter 225 spring.

If this is not an R shock, what difference will it make in revalving/respringing this vs an R if I am looking for 245mm rear travel? It seems to have the 100mm reservoir.
  12. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your in-depth experience with Cannon. I used them with a revalve (local shop) on my stock shock and went 11.5-13.5 progressive spring and it made a huge difference. I would go heavier if I went progressive again (they confirmed yesterday they can do whatever variable rate I wanted). Probably 12.5-14.5 or 13-15.

I have had a Touratech shock on it for the last three years and really like it now that Alex at Konflict revalved it vs their stock valving. I have heard such good things about the 990R shock that I wanted to give that a go as a few local guys have expressed interest in the a Touratech shock if I want to sell it.
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    All advR use either a 255 or 265 length spring. To make that an advR, you’ll need the thinnest internal shim (see earlier in the thread) and replace that spring and that black alloy spacer above it with a 265mm length spring or you can use a 255mm length and the slightly thicker internal shim for the late advR “245” mm travel. The 265mm spring will raise your super enduro seat height by about 13mm from where it is now and using the 255mm spring with the same thinnest internal shim will net about 1-3mm higher seat height but using the 255mm spring and the thicker internal shim will lower your seat height by 1-5mm.

Once you figure out what you want (and your weight and height and if you carry a passenger regularly), I can show you which parts to get; literally just a spring and just either of the internal shims. No revalving is required between Adv standard and advR shocks; they were valves exactly the same.
  14. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Alon. I guess what is still confusing to me are the microfiches (like the one in my previous post) for the ‘12 advR showing the 225 length spring. Are the microfiches wrong?

Regardless of which shock it is, I plan on trying it in the 245mm travel. I have a 13kgx225 spring on the for it. My wife rides a ‘19 690 R when I am on this and I weigh 180lbs w/o gear. How is the stock valving quality overall? I was thinking a revalve for square edge bumps and really rocky terrain based on previous experience with KTM shocks.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The parts fisches are indeed confusing...as for valving, don’t do anything yet, just bolt it on and give it a try but do expect your seat height to go down and do expect reduced travel. The shock you have will offer either 225mm or 210mm of travel on your SE depending on which internal shim is fitted inside the shock. There’s really no way to tell for sure unless you open it up and if you do, I’ll bet you’ll find the very thick 25/30mm thick shim (yes - the thicker that shim is, the less travel and overall length the shock is because the whim limits the extension of the shock’s piston rod). It will not be 245mm travel.
  16. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alex at Konflict has the shock (had it sent directly to him since it was due for servicing) and we plan on touching base Monday regarding possible revalve and ensuring the travel ends up being 245-255mm. Thanks again for all your help Alon. I'll keep you posted.
  17. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    mountaincadre likes this.
  18. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alon, you are a genius! Alex did confirm that it is a standard Adv shock. He is sourcing the appropriate spacers for the 245mm travel and revalving. Thanks for all the great info you provide the forum!
  19. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    You’re in good hands with Alex
  20. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone happen to know if 150/225 spring can take 255 travel? I have an Adv shock on an SE with SE stock travel and currently running 140/255spring. I've been searching for a tad stiffer spring and a friend of mine a couple of 150/225's laying around.