950 SE rear shock.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pitster, Aug 17, 2016.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    You won’t be able to get 255mm of travel from the 225mm length springs. The original advS and advR springs are 150 rate and were either 255mm length or 265mm length - they should not be difficult to find new or used.
  2. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll keep looking for a longer one.
  3. Le mani del Caos

Le mani del Caos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing to reproach about the quality of the original shock but the game goes on.
    The aim was to have a shorter shock absorber without losing wheel travel.
    This is the result of a collage of pieces from three different bikes.
    Unfortunately I'm stuck and I don't know if it works.
    uffff......
    DSCN0074.JPG
    -
    DSCN0080.JPG
  4. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watch your undertray. The Adv shock allready lets the tire scrape the plastic. If yours is shorter and has same travel as stock, you might hear funny voices when hitting the ground.
    gearheadE30 likes this.
  5. Le mani del Caos

Oddometer:
    You are right, this is my targhet.
    P1080059.JPG

P1080052.JPG
    skuikka likes this.
  6. isegrim

isegrim n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Le mani del Caos, can you share more details about your bulit?
    Thx & Greetings

7. Le mani del Caos

Oddometer:
    The space available for the shock absorber is limited.
    This led me to separate the shock from the reservoir.
    I used two shock absorbers, both had been in the box for a long times
    The reservoir and the low connection come from a WP in use on the old Husberg / Ktm of 2008, the body from a Sachs, 50 mm bore, coming from a Husky TE510.
    The Sachs is widely used in Europe in various shapes but this is not a problem as the reservoir is removed and therefore every model is fine.
    The important thing is that the head of the Sachs mounts in the frame and the joint of the WP mounts in the swingarm.
    I used the hydraulic part of the sachs because it has bigger passages in the piston and therefore you will always be away from the oil wall.
    This modification does not use the double stage of pds: unfortunately there is not enough place for a wp head.
    This unit has a much more robust end stop rubber than the standard one but it is still something less than the pds.
    There are approximately 15mm more stroke, this involves a modification to the mudguard because the stroke of the wheel is now close to 300 mm
    This is the drawing of the shock: there are few changes that a good workshop can make.

Mono TE510 per SE950_390_290_fatto e controllato.jpg
    dooby, LAKEMONSTER and mountaincadre like this.
  8. madafakinges

madafakinges SUPERENDURO

Oddometer:
    Who got se shock out off bike? What is standard leght of shock.
    I send 210mm adv shock to my suspension guy to make it 265 but he said he can do the same leght to ma se shock. I dont want do make my se higher on back.
  9. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    390.5mm. I measured it when I switched to PDS. Also wanted the stock lenght.
    If I recall right, I made a 7.5mm top-out shim to achieve this. The 265 version has a 6mm one.
    It should be somewhere in this thread, can't find it now.
  10. madafakinges

madafakinges SUPERENDURO

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  11. isegrim

isegrim n00b

Oddometer:
    Ciao le mani del caos, thx for sharing. The bottom of your shock is from 950 ADV?

Greetings
  12. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    SE shock wokld be 250mm
  13. Le mani del Caos

Oddometer:
    It comes from a Husberg FE550, model 2008. I saw it also on Adventure but I am not sure ablut the model.
    Note that there are two difference
    1) the lenght is 19 mm less -> you can use it for more stroke or to reduce the high of the bike
    2) the cup of the end stroke rubber is closed instead of the original: this means more strenght when bottom.

occhio mono SE vs FE550.JPG
    -
    About the standard measure of the shock: the lenght is 390 mm and the stroke is 80 ( 310 is the closed measure)
    With the standard shock the weel travel is 250 mm ( ratio 3,12)
    The frame of the SE acept 300 minimum lenght: it depends by the tyre.
    With this frankenstein shock the stroke is 100 mm starting from the same 390 mm lenght with an efective travel of the tyre of 300 mm.
    But to be sure I must modify the mudguard.
    Waiting for an adventure!
    LocuL and mountaincadre like this.
  14. madafakinges

madafakinges SUPERENDURO

Oddometer:
    103087405_573213700298961_7715391029249061840_n.jpg 390mm long 130nM spring:rayof
    charlie264 likes this.
  15. ThorCT

ThorCT Lets Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gotta get me one of those for SE #2. SE#1 has a Touratech shock...love that thing. Lightyears ahead of the stock one and I paid only $650 shipped for it off Ebay...it was brand new. Don't think I'll ever find a deal like that again so I'm looking again for an old ADV shock. Anybody have one for sale?
  16. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey @t-dub curious what is your riding weight? I’m about to call Cannon and not sure what spring to get.
    Thanks,
    Kevin.

For straight rate springs, Slavens Racing caries a 11.2, 13, 14 . . . Springs (x 215)

17. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I weigh 180 without gear. I currently have a 13kg spring on my 990R shock and it is slightly stiff when I am not carrying gear (33mm static/64 rider). With tools and riding gear I am able to get to 71mm rider sag. With 60lbs of additional gear I am at 78 rider sag.

The shock works excellent as is and does not feel too stiff. If I did not have a spring and was ordering custom I would go with something in the range of a 12.7-12.8 straight rate. Progressive I would go 12.5-14.5.

Cheers,

Trent
  18. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Trent.
    After reviewing this with Cannon ended up with 11.5-14 for the SE shock. Should give some weight range to play with before looking for a 990 shock (not easy to find).
    My first ride on it - I thought something was broken when I hit some corrugations - bounced badly and lost all traction. Learned to put my weight back quickly. (stock 140N/mm). The 11.5 initial rate comes up to 12-ish with compression to correct sag and minimal preload (approx 30mm compression at the spring).
    - Kevin.

Edit: price for custom spring 159$ from cannonracecraft, about 3 weeks. Really quick customer service.
  19. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Kevin,
    Sounds like you are on the right trajectory. It will be nice to be able to move that spring to a 990R shock when you find one. When I first got my SE, it cornered like a plank before a revalve and respring!
  20. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 990 shock on my SE with a 150N/mm spring on it(think it was 255 long without looking), was what was on the shock it when I got it. I'm 97kg/213lb without gear.
    When I am unloaded that spring gives me the correct sag with nothing on the preload adjuster(not sure what the initial preload was setup at, had a spacer made so as to use that spring with the adjusted shock length). This gives me the option of cranking up the preload when loaded with gear, perfect.
    You shouldn't be running 30mm preload to get correct sag, your spring is to soft. Your preload should only be in the region of 7-14mm from my understanding.

I had the shock altered to match the SE shocks length and travel.

The shock is great though. Supple on the small stuff and takes the big erosion mound jumps much more nicely than the standard shock. Great all rounder.