950 SE rear shock.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pitster, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that I am aware but again a Showa shock is the same thing!
    Have a customer modifying the 990 shock for the SE. Picked it up couple days ago then I will service for him. Will let you know if it is a good option. That shock likely would outperform the others.
  2. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is he modifying the shock, skipping the adjustable preload? Or the subframe to be able to keep the hydraulic preload?

Could easily be solved but would require shims and spring removal to adjust ...no easy way to make a 990 shock have the threaded adjustment that the SE have.

Think there have been some people modifying the SE subframe to have room for the Adv shock with the preload in Place.

Friend just bought a SE guessing we migth go over his suspension this Winter with fresh oil and stuff.

/Johan
  3. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I was under the same impression regarding the shock. Sub fram mod. We will see what he is thinking. The guy he is working with is a world class fabricator so maybe he is on to something and maybe not. If the only issue were the pre-load maybe an Xtrig could be looked at.
  4. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not an offroad riding deity like some people here are, but have made an observation. When you change gearing from 17/45 to 16/42 on the stock chain, the added swingarm length which is about half an inch, changes the weight distribution of the bike such, that you need to back off rear preload several turns. To maintain dampening balance you also have to back off rear rebound dampening (a lot) and increase a bit compression dampening. All that makes the life of the rear shock quite a lot easier, provided you can live with the more weighty front.

JMHO.
    Maoule likes this.
  5. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very observant. When testing I sometimes have two chains for that very reason. Longer bike makes many changes and sag should be checked whenever the wheel is moved forward or rearward.
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting this old thread for anyone still interested in what to do with the non-PDS SE shock. Find a late model 990adv shock (so long as it has the short reservoir identifiable by having five grooves in it vs 7 or 8)...of the shock came from an ADV-R then pop it right in and see if the spring rate works for you (they came with both 140 and 150 rate springs). If it’s a standard 990 shock then you’ll need the thinnest internal spacer (which limits the overall shock length) and an R or S (or equivalent) spring. The standard 990 came with a 225mm spring (printed on the spring as either 140/225 or 150/225) and depending on year, the R came with a 140/265, a 150/265 or a 140/255. Yes, the adv shock with the short reservoir literally bolts right into the SE: no subframe cutting and no fuss at all. It’s a far superior shock in terms of its damping despite having less preload range up top compared to the threaded body and preload rings...it does however offer about 10mm of preload in addition to the 9mm of preload that the 265 spring will have when installed onto the shock. In my mind, if you’re adding 19mm of preload then you’ve got the wrong rate spring.
  7. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Have you tried this setup? Are you sure the reservoir doesn't contact the subframe when the suspension bottoms?
  8. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    I test fitted this on on one of my bikes. It works great.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yes and I now know two others have done the same. No interference at all and proper damping :)
    bemiiten likes this.
  10. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checked my stash bin and have a 5-groove, 150/225 adv shock. Yea! It looks like I’ll be swapping before my ride out west this fall.

Thanks Alon!
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    You’ll need an S or R spring and the internal spacer which I can post the part number for if needed.
  12. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you wouldn’t mind please. For posterity sake if not for my laziness. Cheers
    alongat likes this.
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The thinnest internal spacer (Ktm calls it a shim) for the S or R is: 50180161 - it’s about 21mm thinner than the one you’ll find in your standard Adv shock.
    Helibee likes this.
  14. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    what's the travel of the ADV shock vs the SE shock?
  15. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    I bought an SE with the touratech tractive rear shock. What's the review on that? I have the stock shock too
  16. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Great info! Now how's it ride compared to the stocker? The SE suspension works better when your riding the hell out of it, But every small hit at normal speed hammers right back at the rider.
  17. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Depending on which spring length you choose (255 vs 265), it’s either the same or almost 10mm longer than the SE standard shock.
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    From what I’ve seen and heard, the touratech Tractive is a really nice shock. If you look at its design, it is very similar to the Adv shock with a higher range of adjustment. Tractive formed from the remaining management team who did not want to join KTM when KTM purchased WP years ago...no surprise that the design philosophy in WP is also apparent in Tractive. From my perspective;
    1- I’m not keen to give touratech any of my money
    2- depending on how much you pay for a donor ADV shock, the adv shock can be built for the SE for half the price of the Tractive and serviceable more widely given the high amount of WP service shops
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  19. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I find that my SE shock rode so much better with more weight out back. In my most recent nine day Pyrenees trip, I carried a lot of camping gear and clothing / tools / etc on my bike and was surprised how much better it was except for the big stuff that caused bottoming but those small sharp bumps no longer felt like a bucking horse trying to get me off its back. This was with the stock SE shock and its 140 rate stock spring. I know a number of guys who have changed out that 140 spring for a 130 (either the WP spring from a 950sm or aftermarket) and they have noted an improvement but in my mind, the stock shock is still a massive Achilles heal on the SE; it’s a PDS non-linkage suspension system using a non-PDS shock so the only way to prevent it from bottoming is to run a high rated spring and associated valving...this is illogical and a massive compromise since PDS is designed to act as a progressive damping system that increases resistance to bottoming as the top of the shock stroke is approached. The Adv shock (or Tractive or Wilber’s, etc) run true PDS damping so that over-springing becomes unnecessary.
  20. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ....or run a progressive spring.