950 SE rear shock.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pitster, Aug 17, 2016.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Amen Tim!
  2. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, the 950sm uses 0.56 springs and they are the same length as the se springs.
    timolgra1 likes this.
  3. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if johnno950 is still on here? I can’t pm him. And wanted to ask him about his willbers shock on th SE.
  4. Kiwiktm

Kiwiktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I just removed the 140-215 Shock from my SE and replaced it with a 130-215. I set the sag to suit my weight and I have noticed a big improvement in ride comfort. I think this is a step in the right direction and I would actually like to try a 120- 215 if I could get hold of one.
    I will now add a little luggage and head out on some corrugated gravel roads to compare .
    May be able to lose the kidney belt!
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Off the bike, you can see the difference in eye to eye length between my SE shock and my adv shock...

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  6. Kiwiktm

Kiwiktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Out of interest, what did the adventure have as a stock spring? 130?
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    It had a 140/225 and I've made it S / R spec with a WP 130/265 Spring
  8. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Photos showing zero interference (disclaimer: there is very slight interference where the SE's seat release lever is but it functions perfectly though my bike-OCD means I'll end up spacing it out a few mm to clear)
    Helibee and mountaincadre like this.
  9. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Helibee and mountaincadre like this.
  10. Helibee

Helibee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent the adv shock off to Konflict for a new spring and service this week...

Heading out west in September to do the CDR and test it out. Thanks again Alon.
  11. Kiwiktm

Kiwiktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    It's night and day different with the ADV shock - nice and plush without feeling over-sprung to compensate for a lack of PDS...best upgrade I've made to the bike so far. Forks next...
    mountaincadre likes this.
  13. Kiwiktm

Kiwiktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done! I find the SE very tiring to ride for that reason. For anything other than extreme riding the suspension is way too hard. A shock absorber should do exactly that. Absorb shock. Not transfer most of it up and through the rider.
    A slightly more plush ride would make the bike perfect in my opinion.
    Happy riding!
    alongat likes this.
  14. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    It's now plush as butta' :)
  15. thekinghimself

thekinghimself Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alongat, I assume that that is a 990 shock? There are other threads showing modifications done to he subframe to fit the 950.
    Also, your shock looks like it fits well, but it also looks like the pre-load adjuster will not full extend to 90 degrees? Can you still make adjustments easily? Thanks!
  16. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have been emphasizing that the late model 990 shock is a direct fitment due to its short reservoir. I have seen people using the 950 long reservoir shock but as you stated, it does require carving up the unicorn SE subframe and isn't easy to install and remove as a result of the tight space. The 990 shock slides right up into place with no issue and as you can see by this photo, extending the preload arm a full 90 degrees is no problem on my bike.

990shock.jpg
    johnny2bad likes this.
  17. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally I also have my shocks back. Gave them my old SE shock and a 2009 ADV shock with the question to modify one of them to 300mm travel. Long story but they finished it recently, called me: we fixed it we got an extra 16mm out of the ADV shock. But they did not know this was a 210mm travel shock, so now I have 300mm on the front and around 280mm on the back. Test rode it and it feels pretty good. The front needs some work but the rear is a lot smoother as Alon already found out.

Can somebody measure the free sag of a bike with the original shock, please take some picture which points you use for the measurement. I would like to compare it to my situation thanks.
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Are you saying that they added 16mm to a 210mm travel adv shock? Can you find out which internal spacer shim they used and which Spring they used? Spring should have stamped numbers on it depending on the brand...
  19. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes that is what they told me they did. Comparing the two shocks shows that I have more travel now than on the old SE shock. But I do not know how to accurately measure the stroke of the shock itself. Stroke of shock*630/230 should give the travel. That is why I would like to know the free sag with the original shock.

Oh and they changes the reservoir of course to a small one.

I will ask them about the shim next time. I measured the spring and it is a 225 but the weight is not visible anymore.
  20. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Knowing the sag will not help you much to estimate the difference in travel. What I can tell you, is that between the se and sm shocks you have 60mm dif of rear wheel travel and the two shocks have somewhere between 15mm and 20mm dif in length.